Sandflee

New Smokepole

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well i guess the wife agrees a man can't have too many guns so as a gift she bought me the Traditons Vortek Strikeforce. I'm a newbie to muzzleloaders and i'm pumped as it open up another 1-2 weeks of late deer season December 13-21st and new for this year December 26-Jan 1

any tips on cleaning this thing?

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 8.23.54 AM.png

Edited by Sandflee

Nice gun. 

The cool thing is the breech plug is removable. Just take it out and clean away. The crown is recessed so of you insert the cleaning rod from the muzzle you wont do anything to the crown or muzzle. I've been partial to the TC product line to clean. #13 bore cleaner has been good to me and they have a #17 also. remember to wipe the threads on the breech before  re- installing the breech plug and always use breech plug lube/anti seize. After cleaning and before putting the breech plug back in  I also run a patch of "natralube1000" to protect the bore. BP is very corrosive but fun to shoot. My dad had  a bunch of screw top medicine tubes about a pinky round with MM lines. I preload a bunch at home using the adjustable powder measurer, a small funnel and my can of Pyrodex RS. Makes it easier at the range. 

HAVE FUN!

i love shooting the BP guns because it's not just pulling a trigger. There is more that goes into it which to me makes it fun. You have to find the right load of powder that works with the bullet you choose and your particular gun. 

Me and the boys have both TC impact inlines and a CVA wolf. 

33 mins ago, WorcBoy said:

Nice gun. 

The cool thing is the breech plug is removable. Just take it out and clean away. The crown is recessed so of you insert the cleaning rod from the muzzle you wont do anything to the crown or muzzle. I've been partial to the TC product line to clean. #13 bore cleaner has been good to me and they have a #17 also. remember to wipe the threads on the breech before  re- installing the breech plug and always use breech plug lube/anti seize. After cleaning and before putting the breech plug back in  I also run a patch of "natralube1000" to protect the bore. BP is very corrosive but fun to shoot. My dad had  a bunch of screw top medicine tubes about a pinky round with MM lines. I preload a bunch at home using the adjustable powder measurer, a small funnel and my can of Pyrodex RS. Makes it easier at the range. 

HAVE FUN!

i love shooting the BP guns because it's not just pulling a trigger. There is more that goes into it which to me makes it fun. You have to find the right load of powder that works with the bullet you choose and your particular gun. 

Me and the boys have both TC impact inlines and a CVA wolf. 

Thanks My Best Bud helped my wife with the shopping to help get me started

so far i have

Federal 209 Primers

White Hots (50 Grain) Pellets

and Smackdown Carnivore 250 gr Sabots

running out to pick up the cleaner and lube in a few, headed to the house upstate till Thanksgiving tomorrow and plan on sighting this puppy in

enjoy

I find 90-100 grains of powder works best with the Power belt bullets or even the old Hornady great plains lead bullets. so 2 pellets should be OK. I switched back to regular Pryodex RS powder. My TC firehawk didn't like pellets. I think more it was first generation inline technology than the actual pellets. 

40 mins ago, WorcBoy said:

I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in with more tips. 

What scope is on it?

Scope that came with it Branded as Traditions 3X9X40

for now it will do, actually pretty clear (i'm sure someone else makes it and just branded for them)

Interesting design of the gun (no hammer)

Im amazed how well balanced it is and comfortable shouldering 

Edited by Sandflee

I bet you find it crazy accurate.

My Impact was much more accurate than my rem 1100 slug gun. I put on a compact 4x with diamond reticle. I'm at the age this works best for me.
I was going to use it for Mass shotgun this year but bought a savage 220 slug gun. Just could not resist. 

4 mins ago, WorcBoy said:

I bet you find it crazy accurate.

My Impact was much more accurate than my rem 1100 slug gun. I put on a compact 4x with diamond reticle. I'm at the age this works best for me.
I was going to use it for Mass shotgun this year but bought a savage 220 slug gun. Just could not resist. 

I have that 220 Savage (By Far) the most accurate slug gun there is

drives tacks mine works best with the Accutips 2.75 or I tend to use the 3"

Edited by Sandflee

PowerBelt bullets (skip the bullet/sabot combo)

Hodgdon Triple Se7en pellets (I shoot two - 50 grains equivalent, each)

Thompson Center T17 saturated cleaning patches

Cotton patches

I love Muzzle loader hunting. I had 5 when the season ended last year, before I gifted 2 away. 

I never have used white hot, but when I used pyrodex I went to great lengths to clean my gun after firing, or even hunting wet conditions. This consisted of a complete strip down and detailed cleaning so the gun was like new.  After switching to a cleaner burning propellant, blackhorn 209 I never want to go back to that dirty powder. 

I have shot quite a few deer and have quite a few recovered bullets. By far my favorite are Barnes copper. They sell them under their name and some others. These have been the most consistent deer killers. Power belts were by far my least favorite. 

The Barnes will open with 6 sharp edges and retain 100% weigh of bullet. Shot placement is critical with any bullet, and power belts work, but they mushroom smooth.