Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 22 - Oct. 29

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

Looking a little sporty offshore, on Tuesday afternoon. Model shows 21ft seas and 60mph winds. P

Screenshot_20211024-164500_Windy.jpg.851f9db33ed3648aba62b150877619ff.jpg

Also: today was supposedly the last sunny day til a week from tomorrow. 

I took the Acela and saw birds on bait in Little N Bay and other spots, but not to the extent we had in MA and I didn't see anything in Conn.  The MA run is largely over.  I think R.I. is due for its fall run soon. 

I had the good fortune to be able to hit the beach in south county today with my 2 sons,(first time we have all been together in 3 years) Nice afternoon and sunset on the beach , but with limited activity. We did see pods of bait with birds over them, but no evidence of predators, though we all put in some casting time.  What we did notice was there was a lot of bird activity in a salt pond, they were hammering some school of bait that we couldnt get close enough to identify.

Saturday: mid-bay kayak trip in a protected harbor (Andy's Backyard).  Air temps in low 60s, winds N-ish under 5kts.  Low tide around 2:40, I think.  We started out about an hour after low.  Birds up and searching, but don't seem to be concentrating on any one area.  First tried a couple of known areas for the tide, then tried trolling around for a while to no avail.  After an hour or so, I sent my son to check out the only place the birds seemed to be showing an interest it, while I went to check an area about a 15-20 min paddle out.  Normally wouldn't have gone there on a Saturday, but boat traffic was very light.  Birds are up and searching the entire time.

Nothing at my spot. Returned to find my son catching snappers, which in turn are on thick pods of peanuts.  Of course I hadn't brought a snag hook or free hooks to liveline.  The sun had passed behind thick rainclouds to the W, and combined with late afternoon it was like a false dusk.  There was a small pod of bass occasionally harassing the peanuts, but they would disappear for several minutes at a time.   I finally resort to bouncing a shad along the bottom (I'm guessing ~15') and end up with the only fish caught besides the snappers: a low slot fish about 28-29".  We chased breaking fish until just before full dark, but the breaking fish subsided before that. 

Got to a popular spot last night just before sundown. Saw a huge flock of birds with breaking fish underneath too far to reach. Shad were breaking everywhere and they were mixed with schoolies. Thousands of anchovies at my feet. Snagged a few while tossing a small metal for the shad. Got a few of each but didn't stay long as I had other obligations.

Hit PJL last night (Sunday night) and fished the incoming right below the CC parking lot.

Gorgeous night.  Wind stopped for a bit, breeze coming from west and south was warm.  I thought I was going to freeze my gazoongas off but it was a mild night.  

Lots of cloud cover.

Couple of fish here and there on swimmers (black and gold chrome bombers).

Was told there was a pretty crazy bite earlier in the day on the EW (lots of birds).

Launched at Goddard Park this rainy morning.

Clients had no other choice, but wanted to fish.

Wind was forecast at 20-25 knots. Not a sign of wind.

Harbor complete covered with peanuts and birds diving everywhere.

Looked like the old days, but not a fish on them.

We scouted around the mid bay islands, found nothing.

There were some bait around Providence Point, Prudence Island but there was a huge gray seal having a blast.

It's not even cold yet, and there must be a few around. We'll have to deal with them year round in the near future.

Going back to the harbor the stripers found the food source with the cresting tide.

We pulled five stripers, one small bluefish out of the mix. Save the day.

20211025_095030.jpg

20211025_095118.jpg

Posted (edited)

Tough toggin’ yesterday. Entire upper bay was birds and bait on our way out, but not a sign of life coming back in that afternoon. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

As far as the seals in the bay .... for years they have been coming  into the upper bay in Sept & leave during May .usually 

The invasion of comarants  >>>>>>>>>> they never  fffff333333 ....leave .but do feed    24/7             I,d like to meet the A/H that 

had seals & comarents   added to the protected species list .......... they are hurning our fishing population as much as  anything  else you can come up with ><><

002.JPG

water 003.JPG

Posted (edited)

Between the cormorants and the seals I will shoot the cormorants first when the law permits.. 

Edited by levari

1 hour ago, levari said:

Between the cormorants and the seals I will shoot the cormorants first when the law permits.. 

I wouldn't turn you in if you decided to break the law