Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 22 - Oct. 29

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

18 mins ago, rwilhelm said:

Wow.  Did better in spring.  Oh well I will keep trying.  

I also had a good spring to early summer with stripers, which then crashed during the second half of the season. In fact that handful of albies + 2 spanish macs I caught while chasing albies make up for the vast majority of my 'gamefish' catch since the end of Aug...I've caught three schoolie bass  and one bluefish in that same time frame. Part of it is not targeting bass...but in the past, stripers (and bluefish) were a regular part of my by-catch while chasing albies and bonito

4 hours ago, DZ said:

Yep - worst October for me in my local waters ever... and that includes the crash of the 1980s.

Glad I've been concentrating on Toggin' from shore. Haven't seen much surface action while soaking crabs. There was some bait/birds around Tues. 

I keep telling myself the fishing will get better... Put lots of time in and its dead, dead, dead. Very unusual  for this time of the year in the places I fish.

Going down to once a week soon. I think we'll get another wave of fish but I am not getting my hopes up.

Not sure I can justify C + R fishing for stripers/blues when it's like this. I may do a personal multi-year moratorium and go for trout/ LMB/ tog/ etc. for awhile. Yikes this is bad.... not unexpected given all of the warning signs we've had over the past decade. Think it's time to shut it down.

12 hours ago, Kima said:

Funny, I've got more good fish this year than most. And they're all in the past month or two...

This is the same for me. I've caught way way less fish this year but far more quality fish. 

awesome day weather wise oTW 

We went toggin .. slowest day  that I can remember 

and for the upteenth time on the bay this fall .we ran  from warwick Cove  to out front & did not see one bird working or one fish breaking  ... can,t remember that ever happening this long & late in the season .........  My friend Joe ask if we could stop so he could some Quahaugs  to take ...NO PROBLEM >>>so I thought ...   we pulled in Dutch harbor  because I knew that a seasonable area just opened two weeks ago .we dug in some tough  bottom  . got a few  . but like WTF  . I told him we could stop at Hope Island   there are always a few chodwers around ........Nope  .  one clam  .unreal ............... as the water gets cleaner .something  has to pay the price ..and shellfish on any kind  is on the top of the list ......... at a meeting  I actually got a DEM  rep to acknowledge  that was one of the  [problems] that  the dumping of chemicals by the sewer pipeline  has caused .but they  can,t /won,t   face it head on .because   the federal monies they receive   are for clean water  / which  is all that counts .........  no mar star fish in the bay , no oysters at all , very few steamers , and quahogs are not reproducing .if they are // they are dieing 

before they can mature .ooops   sorry . this is a fin fish report site ;;;    

On 10/22/2021 at 10:19 AM, Kooky said:

Thats a dogfish, very common if you are ever throwing bait.  Kids love to catch them cause they think they are catching sharks.  They get very annoying after a few.

I used to love catching them as a kid. Technically they are catching sharks. I've recently heard that they're actually good eating?

On 10/22/2021 at 10:19 AM, Kooky said:

Thats a dogfish, very common if you are ever throwing bait.  Kids love to catch them cause they think they are catching sharks.  They get very annoying after a few.

Double post

Edited by Beachdrivin

29 mins ago, Beachdrivin said:

I used to love catching them as a kid. Technically they are catching sharks. I've recently heard that they're actually good eating?

I recently heard around 90% of the commercially caught dogfish in the US are exported to the UK as it is the preferred species for fish and chips there. Also that it tastes like swordfish.

3 hours ago, Sleve said:

I recently heard around 90% of the commercially caught dogfish in the US are exported to the UK as it is the preferred species for fish and chips there. Also that it tastes like swordfish.

That's pretty much exactly what I heard. The preparation looks like a bit of a pain but I'd like to try it.

4 hours ago, Beachdrivin said:

"Good" is excessive, but they are completely edible. I've had them more than once. Not worth the hassle of cleaning them.

Well I’m ditching work to fish tomorrow, after I get kids on the bus. :laugh:. Who knows what this is going to look like, after Tues/wed storm. Getting a good session in now, w some wind and swell predicted. 

Edited by Kooky

Was thinking of a mid week night session, but with the wind and swell coming in, i think the waters gonna get dirty and weeded up pretty quick. Hope not, but will have to see. Certainly will make for some whitewater.