Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 22 - Oct. 29

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share, report weekly fishing activity.

This will benefit those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fourth year for this type of approach. The years past have had great participation and much success.  Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or just not worth it getting off the couch.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel with the ever changing fishing conditions we have today. 

Nice fall day on the water today (Thursday). Doesn't look like any fall signs down in South County.

No foliage change, people still swimming, sun bathing, very few sea ducks, no gannets, footballs still around.

Doesn't look like the stripers are staging for their winter migration. Where's the bluefish?

Should be a late push.

I tried the rocks tonight on one of our bigger islands with the TH rod. Wind in face, water has cooled, nice choppy swell, and nothing... I really haven't figured out RI fishing at all yet, having moved here in Sept. Rocks were much more consistent in MA but I am hoping it's just a weird year. The tide variation here is much lower, and I have gone several places thinking there might be a rip or at least some current only to find it more or less stagnant, especially on the incoming. It's harder to choose where to fish at a result--I like swinging flies. I wonder if the fish move around more when there is less current. If anyone has any tips, let me know. I've been going back to MA on most weekends.

I did see a big blitz off a beach while driving. Tons of birds with some fish busting under them about 400 yards out. Watched it for a few minutes. 

31 mins ago, Sngl2th said:

I tried the rocks tonight on one of our bigger islands with the TH rod. Wind in face, water has cooled, nice choppy swell, and nothing... I really haven't figured out RI fishing at all yet, having moved here in Sept. Rocks were much more consistent in MA but I am hoping it's just a weird year. The tide variation here is much lower, and I have gone several places thinking there might be a rip or at least some current only to find it more or less stagnant, especially on the incoming. It's harder to choose where to fish at a result--I like swinging flies. I wonder if the fish move around more when there is less current. If anyone has any tips, let me know. I've been going back to MA on most weekends.

I did see a big blitz off a beach while driving. Tons of birds with some fish busting under them about 400 yards out. Watched it for a few minutes. 

It is a weird year.

What works on Ma rocks usually works on RI rocks.

I wouldn't typically think of the current as stagnant in many RI locations except for at slack tide. Maybe you're in too sheltered a location?

Fished 3.5 hours and covered 6 locations with a nice SW wind creating some white. 
All practice with not a sniff.  

Snagged a ~16" baby shark in a thick ball of peanut bunker practically on the shore last night. Phone was in the car :banghd: 

Are there many species of shark that come in that close to Aquidneck? Trying to narrow it down best I can without pics. The mouth was on the bottom, almost like a skate.

Thats a dogfish, very common if you are ever throwing bait.  Kids love to catch them cause they think they are catching sharks.  They get very annoying after a few.

Fished inside a breachway on the out out going for a couple of hours with the fly rod Caught Shad on every cast lots of fun there were stripers underneath but they left

23 mins ago, Kooky said:

Thats a dogfish

Ah, of course. I remember seeing these caught in Green Hill growing up. Thanks.

&&&&   fyi  i WENT TO THE BOAT  JUST NOW     .. rods in the truck .adult pogies  & skip jacks still in the cove  & in the slips .......... snagged to pogies for crap bait .

this tells me that  the schoolies are still around  , but  it feels real weird .I have to places I fish  as a gauge   a little in the spring & then fall .

this year  a few schoolies in  the spring   BUT    None  [yet ] in the fall .I,ve been fishing them for around 30 years in the middle bay & have never been  oooooo  this late in the fall .. a few casts in the day & night ..

12 mins ago, rwilhelm said:

Worst fall I have experienced.  Nice conditions this morning and not a tap. 

Getting discouraged.   

Yep - worst October for me in my local waters ever... and that includes the crash of the 1980s.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Skunk for me last night, tried two spots, both that I've never fished before. Being my first fall in Rhode Island, it is absolutely my worst (and best :p). Did very well in September and the first week of October, but can't buy a bite at this point. 

At the second spot I did see three guys keep two very short bass (~15-20") then scurry off like roaches when they saw me heading over. Called DEM, hope they got them. 

Edited by cab395

15 hours ago, mikez2 said:

It is a weird year.

What works on Ma rocks usually works on RI rocks.

I wouldn't typically think of the current as stagnant in many RI locations except for at slack tide. Maybe you're in too sheltered a location?

tidal-datums-MN_range.jpg.44cf4a8a62ff88b3c81e5be050901eb1.jpgLot less water moving here. It seems more open spots like coves mouths that would have pretty substantial current in North Shore are fairly still. 

15 mins ago, DZ said:

Yep - worst October for me in my local waters ever... and that includes the crash of the 1980s.

Wow.  Did better in spring.  Oh well I will keep trying.