The Gimp

Is Island Beach State Park a Deadzone?

Rate this topic

118 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

High, low, incoming, outgoing, day, night, dusk and dawn. Bucktails, metals, swimmers, poppers, soft and hard. Zilch, nada for 2 weeks, out there almost every day. What a horrible, way over rated fishing locale. Ready to just gas up and visit my old haunts in NY/Raritan Bay to Montauk. You guys can have Island Beach, 10 miles of nothing. Guys in their 4x4's outfitted with more stuff than a tackle store, burning gas up and the beach, for what? Snag a bunker? What a joke. I probably caught more of everything in a few days in NY than they do for a whole year down here.

Edited by The Gimp

Posted (edited) · Report post

24 mins ago, The Gimp said:

High, low, incoming, outgoing, day, night, dusk and dawn. Bucktails, metals, swimmers, poppers, soft and hard. Zilch, nada for 2 weeks, out there almost every day. What a horrible, way over rated fishing locale. Ready to just gas up and visit my old haunts in NY/Raritan Bay to Montauk. You guys can have Island Beach, 10 miles of nothing. Guys in their 4x4's outfitted with more stuff than a tackle store, burning gas up and the beach, for what? Snag a bunker? What a joke. I probably caught more of everything in a few days in NY than they do for a whole year down here.

Awesome post. 

out front fishing is a crap shoot.  Its jersey

Edited by Goldy

27 mins ago, The Gimp said:

Sad, but very true, not that I ever fished IBSP regularly but the North Jetty at Barnegat Inlet is its southernmost border, once one of the best spots on the NJ coast, many large met their demise there, just not lately. 

These days, not much around to pick at, maybe in mid November we'll get a week of action in Ocean County, the further north you go up the coast your chances go from about 99% that you'll be skunked to about 95%. I also remember the good old days, they weren't so great either, its always been a hump. Folks think 40 lbers. jumped on your hook regularly,  not so, but at least there was a chance. Now, chances have improved from none to none at all to slim to none, thats the fall run kicking in. Its the end of October and we can't buy a fish.

Surf fishing for striped bass in NJ on ocean beaches appears doomed. I'm just about sure about it but the only thing I'm sure about is  I'm not sure about it. Sounds like I could have a future with the regulators, ASFMC or whatever their call letters are, bunch of self serving ego maniacs that are in over their heads which was not deep water. 

1 hour ago, The Gimp said:

Sick

Just as an aside as I cry in my beer... I used to fish some places in Staten Island very, very successful. I was always stumped when I would see 5-6 cars with Jersey plates in the parking lot. Thinking why would anyone want to make the effort to come up this way when you have all those said to be good spots at your doorstep?

Now I know.

8 hours ago, The Gimp said:

Just as an aside as I cry in my beer... I used to fish some places in Staten Island very, very successful. I was always stumped when I would see 5-6 cars with Jersey plates in the parking lot. Thinking why would anyone want to make the effort to come up this way when you have all those said to be good spots at your doorstep?

Now I know.

Do you understand the migration?

you do realize most of the fish move from

north to south in the fall right?

you’re fishing pretty far south during a time when the main migration hasn’t even reached there yet. 

Speaking of north jetty, what’s up with the rocks next to the pocket?  Made 1 of my hopefully 2 trips recently and there’s huge gaps in the jetty where nice giamongous flat boulders once were. They don’t move all by themselves…. 

Yes I understand migration. I guess the best way to put it is I see a small industry, around this way, been built around a favorable couple of weeks, if that long, like deer hunting having such a short season. For the rest of the year it is all hopey BS talk. I guess I just take catching for granted from the locations I used to frequent. Down here is another story. very disappointing. I never been there but if wonder if the Outer Banks are like this area. The scenery of IBSP is unmatched but the fishing? Not much.

Been that way for awhile. You have to remember if you read one good "report" from one of the shops down there, there were 400 other people trying. And most of those 400 are only trying because it is a popular spot and it is convenient. Not because the fishing is spectacular or even consistent. 

2 hours ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Do you understand the migration?

you do realize most of the fish move from

north to south in the fall right?

you’re fishing pretty far south during a time when the main migration hasn’t even reached there yet. 

The ocean temps in southern NJ are also currently 5-6 degrees warmer than average for this time of year so could still be WAY early 

37 mins ago, BG_NJ said:

The ocean temps in southern NJ are also currently 5-6 degrees warmer than average for this time of year so could still be WAY early 

That, and you can’t really compare ibsp to Long Island in mid October. I’m sure 10+ years ago things would be diff

I don’t see much evidence if guys talking in a hopey way if I understand correctly. Guys just fish there, just like guys fish more north, and like how guys fish long island. If he truly understands the migration he would know why it’s dead right now.