jpusmc0193

Good Combination

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Have a new 10 ft Tica TC3 dolphin surf rod. Looking for advise on a reel to match it with.

Casting just past the bars along Point Pleasant, Mantoloking, Sea Girt beaches. I like a little shorter reach if possible for the index finger, the reel foot to the line.  Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks JP

Edited by jpusmc0193

Posted (edited) · Report post

My friend just started and he put a Daiwa BG 4000 in a 9’ TICA.  It feels great to his new hands and to my seasoned hands. Maybe go up one size for the reel?

Edited by D1fishr

3 hours ago, fmtuna said:

I'd say buy a Saragossa 6000 and have fun with it.... if you can find one....

Just got one ordered two weeks ago, came last week. Spooled up, leader ready, just waiting for my back to gimme the thumbs up. Happened day after the reel came - long story. 

OP, iffin you’re interested in that suggestion fmtuna made, the website for tackle shop salt water edge has the 6k Gosa SWA. 

One touch Apple Pay from my phone to my credit card - kinda gave me a little giggity. 

You could potentially get ever so slightly more distance with the stradic FL 5k and say 20 lbs braid, just given the way the coils are wrapped in the stradic versus the Gosa. But that’s not a sealed reel if you’re wading deep

On 10/21/2021 at 3:40 PM, jpusmc0193 said:

Have a new 10 ft Tica TC3 dolphin surf rod. Looking for advise on a reel to match it with.

Casting just past the bars along Point Pleasant, Mantoloking, Sea Girt beaches. I like a little shorter reach if possible for the index finger, the reel foot to the line.  Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks JP

Also, I fish roughly those same areas since like 2014. 2-3 times per Fall on average but hoping to do more this year overnights. We’ll see. 

Point is:

I don’t recall a single time I missed a bite because of casting distance. Plenty of times the daytime hallmarks of a bite were obvious a few hundred yards off the beach - double the distance of a  HOF casting champ with conventional gear. Never saw someone hooked up on the very end of a Babe Ruth bomb-cast. So, that part would be low on my priority list. (Especially with albie season about to wrap up.)

Ok, thanks for the input. I have a BG 3000 that I currently use on my tica 7 foot and do love its great cast ability with braid. So, I will go with a BG 4000 or 4500. I also agree not necessary for a hook up on a Babe Ruth bomb cast but would like to get out just past that bar to see what lurks verses always in the trough before it. Thanks again