HighCal

St. Croix Tidemaster Cork Replacement

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I have a St. Croix Tidemaster Inshore Rod TIC70HF that was brand new in it's factory clear wrap and stored in my garage for a while. I was going to rig it up to use tonight and was very surprised to see that mice have made a meal of it at some point in the past year or so.

I have 20+ other synthetic grip rods stored in the same place and they were not touched. But this rod and three other vintage wooden Penn rods were destroyed by the mice. They actually had to rip the clear wrap apart to access the cork grips on this one.

Where should I go from here with this St. Croix? What would be my best solution? I know these cork grips are on there real good. I've included some pics of the carnage below.20211021_134747.jpg.47e4c6ccdc8a284d674905925f2df1a4.jpg20211021_134805.jpg.dc34a91556724b12fff9920cc5bad55e.jpg20211021_134754.jpg.75d15ed530c58ff22d094efcbb18357b.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

You should of posted this in the rod building section for rod builders advice.

I’m not a rod builder, but I would probably personally cut the cork off with either a utility knife or a Dremel.

Make an incision straight down, and try and then break the corking off. Be really careful not to make a cut too deep or you’ll end up cutting/chipping the blank.

Then I’d probably go with a synthetic/foam grip/heat shrink? something easy to put on.

Or, you could try contacting st croix and see if they’ll help you out. 

Edited by MattieG

2 mins ago, MattieG said:

You should of posted this in the rod building section for rod builders advice.

I’m not a rod builder, but I would probably personally cut the cork off with either a utility knife or a Dremel.

Make an incision straight down, and try and then break the corking off. Be really careful not to make a cut too deep or you’ll end up cutting/chipping the blank.

Then I’d probably go with a synthetic/foam grip/heat shrink? something easy to put on.

Or, you could try contacting st croix and see if they’ll help you out. 

Thank you for your quick reply. I didn't think to post in there. Thank you for the heads up. If I don't get additional replies in the main forum, maybe an admin can change the location of this post. I can not figure out how to do that myself. Thanks again. 

Just now, HighCal said:

Thank you for your quick reply. I didn't think to post in there. Thank you for the heads up. If I don't get additional replies in the main forum, maybe an admin can change the location of this post. I can not figure out how to do that myself. Thanks again. 

No problem.

Before you cut anything off though, I would hit up st croix see what they say first.

As for moving your thread I don’t think users have such abilities. I imagine tho when a mod sees this they’ll Move it to the rod building section as the guys in there know their stuff.

7 mins ago, MattieG said:

No problem.

Before you cut anything off though, I would hit up st croix see what they say first.

As for moving your thread I don’t think users have such abilities. I imagine tho when a mod sees this they’ll Move it to the rod building section as the guys in there know their stuff.

Thank you again. 

No matter what direction you go, you will need to remove the reel seat to install the new fore grip. Not sure what the entails as I have never tried to do it.  Posting in the rod builders forum was a good idea..

You buy granulated cork or cork dust on ebay. Mix in cork into elmers woodglue. Build it up. You easily sand it.  

Just now, The Riddler said:

You buy granulated cork or cork dust on ebay. Mix in cork into elmers woodglue. Build it up. You easily sand it.  

That is a great idea. I will research it now. 

2 hours ago, 27conch said:

No matter what direction you go, you will need to remove the reel seat to install the new fore grip. Not sure what the entails as I have never tried to do it.  Posting in the rod builders forum was a good idea..

Not true. Seam is about as visible as the seam between rings and cannot be felt.

Find a local rod builder, they should be able to do it.

Maybe St. Croix will fix it for you.

Cork Fore Grip Repair 2.jpg

Easy way would be to cut out the damage and epoxy in some new rings.. Then sand and shape.. or the right way would be remove all cork and reel seat and replace with a new seat and grips..

Where you located ?

47 mins ago, xp800 said:

Easy way would be to cut out the damage and epoxy in some new rings.. Then sand and shape.. or the right way would be remove all cork and reel seat and replace with a new seat and grips..

Where you located ?

I'm on the East end of Long Island, NY.

St. Croix may be able to do it as well, it looks like a claim fee plus parts/shipping costs. However, I was hoping to repair it much quicker and cheaper at home.

I went to my local bait & tackle shops and then to some craft stores, but I can't find cork rings or cork granules anywhere local. I'm going to have to shop online for this stuff. 

9 mins ago, HighCal said:

I'm on the East end of Long Island, NY.

St. Croix may be able to do it as well, it looks like a claim fee plus parts/shipping costs. However, I was hoping to repair it much quicker and cheaper at home.

I went to my local bait & tackle shops and then to some craft stores, but I can't find cork rings or cork granules anywhere local. I'm going to have to shop online for this stuff. 

Your to far for me to do the repair. Mud hole has cork rings and the epoxy you will need 

12 mins ago, xp800 said:

Your to far for me to do the repair. Mud hole has cork rings and the epoxy you will need 

Thank you