Mike1

New Rod

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hi

looking to pick up a black hole surf rod . I am thinking either the 9.6’ 3/4-4oz or the 10’ 1-6oz  Stripe bass special ,while I am not an expert at throwing plugs or metal, I wanted something with some backbone in case I mess up ,just don’t want to snap the top off.Also I am looking at the VR 175 don’t have any store near me to pair them up ,so I am hoping you guys can help me out . Thanks 

All depends, what kind of waters you typically fish and what kind, specifically weight plugs, metals or jigs you plan on throwing. Every rod has a range and a sweet spot.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Mike1 said:

Thanks for the reply , Well I will just be out front using sp, Ava, and maybe 2.5oz plugs max. 

9'6" Cape Cod Sptripepr rod is unbelievably strong. I don't think anyone breaks the rod yet. 10'Striped Bass Special 3/4 -4oz rod can handle what you need. Check 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki rod. They are cheaper and are extremely popular now.

Edited by ksong

On 10/22/2021 at 7:43 PM, ksong said:

9'6" Cape Cod Sptripepr rod is unbelievably strong. I don't think anyone breaks the rod yet. 10'Striped Bass Special 3/4 -4oz rod can handle what you need. Check 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki rod. They are cheaper and are extremely popular now.

7 hours ago, Mike1 said:

Great rod . Now I need to make my mind up about the length. 9’ or 10 ‘ . 

I have the 9'6 Suzuki and like it a lot.

For the money I believe that it's a good value.

I will also consider that too. Is the tip of the rod real thin, for some crazy reason I have a fear of snapping the tip off while casting . I just probably need some good practice I guess. 

9 hours ago, Mike1 said:

I will also consider that too. Is the tip of the rod real thin, for some crazy reason I have a fear of snapping the tip off while casting . I just probably need some good practice I guess. 

here is a video of casting 4.5 oz Magic Swimmer with 10' Black Hole Suzuki rod and pictures of the catch in the Canal. The 9'6" Suzuki rod is a little stronger than the 10' and I don't think anyone broke the 9'6" yet while casting. 

striper10suzuki.jpg

striper10suzuki2.jpg