tbush

Saltwater fly set up recommendations

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Im planning on building myself a fly rod to target inshore critters and have zero knowledge of reels, line weight, flies/lures etc...  we mostly fish for schoolie bass/blues/weakfish. What weight set up (7-8-9?)  Whats a nice entry level reel ( $200 or less)? What line will i need?  What flies work well in salt in the spring/summer/fall?  

Any help/info is appreciated.

Ah if you don't have an idea on any of these things you have a long way to go. I recommend going to your local fly shop, and discuss what you want to do. I found the orivis shops helpful and they will probably give you some casting lessons and gear recommendation. Stick with a mid flex rod at first will be easier to load and work you way up to fast action when your good enough to distance cast, which could take 1 to 2 years. Good luck

44 mins ago, onthefly said:

Ah if you don't have an idea on any of these things you have a long way to go. I recommend going to your local fly shop, and discuss what you want to do. I found the orivis shops helpful and they will probably give you some casting lessons and gear recommendation. Stick with a mid flex rod at first will be easier to load and work you way up to fast action when your good enough to distance cast, which could take 1 to 2 years. Good luck

Great reply! I just picked up fly fishing this year and I couldn't have said it any better.

It is a fun and challenging learning curve but so rewarding, I have yet to step into the saltwater game  

Do a search here. There's a ton of opinions and information on exactly what you're asking about. In fact, there's a thread below about best reel for under $200. 

2 hours ago, tbush said:

Im planning on building myself a fly rod to target inshore critters and have zero knowledge of reels, line weight, flies/lures etc...  we mostly fish for schoolie bass/blues/weakfish. What weight set up (7-8-9?)  Whats a nice entry level reel ( $200 or less)? What line will i need?  What flies work well in salt in the spring/summer/fall?  

Any help/info is appreciated.

If you're building from a blank, then look for a TFO BVK model, discontinued this past year ... so they'll be on sale potentially. Their 8wt model was the pick of the litter (highly rated in the past by fly shops that do such things). For a new reel ... take a look at  Allen fly fishin. They have decent stuff that is relatively cheap (bang for the buck ratio). But their are quite a few others to look at.

For flies that work ... The surf candy, deceivers and Clousers. The epoxy minnow / surf candy rules my fly fishing world. Good luck on your new adventure.

I'd be looking at a 9wt or 10wt. It'll be better to cast it in the wind, strong enough for any of those fish, but not like a broomstick either. In the nicest possible way, I can't really imagine building my own if just starting out.

Reel: Anything that's big enough to hold backing and the line you're looking at. You'll want a 7 or larger for sure. Something with a cork drag or sealed drag would be a better option in the salt although I'm not sure what's available for under $200.

Line: It depends. You've basically got things that float or things that sink. I use a full intermediate (sinks) to get down to where the fish are and it's easier to cast than a sink tip. The intermediate sinks slowly and you can fish a good amount of the water column. A floating line could be used for topwater stuff.

Flies: For those fish, start with clousers and deceivers. They look like bait fish and work very well. They're readily available to buy and easy to tie if you're going that route. My saltwater fly box is packed with them and some surf candy that look like eels.

1 hour ago, Dave the fisherman said:

I'd be looking at a 9wt or 10wt. It'll be better to cast it in the wind, strong enough for any of those fish, but not like a broomstick either. In the nicest possible way, I can't really imagine building my own if just starting out.

Reel: Anything that's big enough to hold backing and the line you're looking at. You'll want a 7 or larger for sure. Something with a cork drag or sealed drag would be a better option in the salt although I'm not sure what's available for under $200.

Line: It depends. You've basically got things that float or things that sink. I use a full intermediate (sinks) to get down to where the fish are and it's easier to cast than a sink tip. The intermediate sinks slowly and you can fish a good amount of the water column. A floating line could be used for topwater stuff.

Flies: For those fish, start with clousers and deceivers. They look like bait fish and work very well. They're readily available to buy and easy to tie if you're going that route. My saltwater fly box is packed with them and some surf candy that look like eels.

Perfect,  thank you.