Beastly Backlash

Simms Boots

15 posts in this topic

I need new waders (going to try chest waders and wading boots this time) and new wet wading shoes (sandals were my wet wading go to for years, but the constant issue of pebbles and rocks getting between my foot and the sandal has me using old shoes once again).

 

For boots I am looking at the Simms freestone felt sole boots.

 

For wet wading I am looking at the Simms Zipit flats boots.

 

Any info on these boots regarding durability or other factors would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly recommend the Simms boots and waders. I had a pair of their chest waders for a long time, which for me is 5+ years. They started leaking at the seams so I sent them back to Simms. They sent me a brand new pair free! Pretty awesome after using for that many years and I am hard on them. Also I find that I like the fit of the Simms better than other waders. As far as the wading boots, they are very well made also. I have 2 pairs that I use alot, both are felt sole and one is BOA lace. I do not recommend the BOA lace because that is a pain in the ass when it breaks and it will break. Carry a repair kit at all times with these. I put studs in both pairs I have and they are both great for traction pretty much anywhere. Never tried the flats boots but I would trust them coming from Simms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, Redneck Tourist said:

I highly recommend the Simms boots and waders. I had a pair of their chest waders for a long time, which for me is 5+ years. They started leaking at the seams so I sent them back to Simms. They sent me a brand new pair free! Pretty awesome after using for that many years and I am hard on them. Also I find that I like the fit of the Simms better than other waders. As far as the wading boots, they are very well made also. I have 2 pairs that I use alot, both are felt sole and one is BOA lace. I do not recommend the BOA lace because that is a pain in the ass when it breaks and it will break. Carry a repair kit at all times with these. I put studs in both pairs I have and they are both great for traction pretty much anywhere. Never tried the flats boots but I would trust them coming from Simms.

 

Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, Redneck Tourist said:

Heres what a broken one looks like:

Fishing Simms Boa Boot Broken Lace.JPG

 So it is the boots with the knobs? :th:

 

Simpler is better in my book, regular laces for me.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes they have wire laces and a wind-up knob. The advantage of these is that when it's cold and miserable you don't have to freeze your hands trying to untie wet boot laces. With these you can just pop the knob and pull them right off your feet. The disadvantage is when the wire lace breaks, especially when it happens while you're fishing and then your trying to keep it on your foot long enough to hobble back to your vehicle to replace with regular lace up boots. I use them for steelhead fishing in cold weather, but that's about it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redneck Tourist said:

Yes they have wire laces and a wind-up knob. The advantage of these is that when it's cold and miserable you don't have to freeze your hands trying to untie wet boot laces. With these you can just pop the knob and pull them right off your feet. The disadvantage is when the wire lace breaks, especially when it happens while you're fishing and then your trying to keep it on your foot long enough to hobble back to your vehicle to replace with regular lace up boots. I use them for steelhead fishing in cold weather, but that's about it now.

 

That would be a good advantage. About the only time I wear waders is in the cold, basically once water temps hit 45*F and lower. In the past it has always been boot foot hip waders which are pretty easy to just kick off. But, just from trying to tie fishing knots with numb hands I can see how untying boot laces would be a pain.

 

Prior to water temps and air temps dropping below 45* I just we at whatever, sandals in the past and hiking shoes as of late, but gravel can be an issue. This is why I am looking at getting those wet wading zip it boots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked at the wet wading boots and they look pretty nice. I've had the same trouble as you wearing water shoes when kayaking and getting the rocks and gravel in them. I think LL Bean has a pair of wet wading shoes that looked pretty good also, but I haven't tried them yet because it's all on the pricey side and I have not been kayaking enough to justfy spending more on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

 So it is the boots with the knobs? :th:

 

Simpler is better in my book, regular laces for me.

Yeah I tried the boa system on ll beans and they sucked

 

Simms is my fw boot and great stuff.  The run small BTW so order a size up

 

Add some spikes to the felt and you are good to wade the rivers

Edited by Captain Ahab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Simms gear and use the same boots wearing waders and wet wading. I have their neoprene sock and wear that with a heavy wool sock underneath to fill up the boot a little and add some more cushion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

Simms is my fw boot and great stuff.  The run small BTW so order a size up

 

 

Yes that is true. They are not really sized with the neoprene sock included, they are more like a street shoe size. I wear an 11 1/2 shoe and I buy a 12 Simms wading boot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Simms freestone boots with rubber sole. They are a bit bulky and heavy but overall a decent product and seem well made.I can’t be picky as I have large feet and the Simms come in large sizes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, F1SH said:

I have the Simms freestone boots with rubber sole. They are a bit bulky and heavy

Freestone are pretty light compared to my previous pair I had. They feel pretty similar to a sturdy hiking boot.  They break in really well. I've had mine 2 seasons and they are starting to feel like sneakers with lots of ankle support. Probably going to replace them with the same pair or maybe the saltwater version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.