Odessa44

TFO BVK 8wt durability

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Odessa44 said:

Hi has anyone landed any substantial size fish on this rod?? what size fish will the 8wt bvk handle?? 

Landing a fish with the fly rod is more about how strong the tippet is than anything else. An 8wt TFO BVK will handle a 20lbs Striper in the right hands ... but so will a 6wt. Stripers set themselves free by spitting hooks (so have uber sharp hooks) or by breaking the leader / tippet. Use 20lbs test line or better for your tippet, play the fish (don't rush horsing it in) ... and you'll increase your odds of success.

With my 8wt, BVK I've caught many albacore, stripers and bluefish. I'm confident the rod will handle just about anything in our waters. But a 9 wt rod will better handle heavier or larger flies. A 9wt will allow you to put more pressure when fighting a fish.

KeronaFly gave good advice about a 20# tippet. The only exception is if you are fishing a shallow sand flat. A thinner tippet may be less visible.

I think the BVK durability issues were more related to the thin-walled blank - clanging a clouser off one is going to weaken the rod or break it outright. I broke one with a clouser years ago (also a Redington CPS 7wt last year) casting clousers in a strong wind.  I use the BVK for a unweighted flies - it's a great casting rod. 

Use a rod weight to fight a fish quickly and efficiently.  We want our catches to swim free on good condition.  The real question is if you fish for large stripers or blues and wear them out with under gunned rods you are part of our problem today.  When I fished on the Cape,we knew we would have 20-30 lb fish possibilities and used 10 wt rods especially on the rips. A 25lb bass will give even a 10wt plenty of challenges.

Fly rods a like a 8wt can handle a lot of fish if you just let them wear themselves  out, not a good idea in my opinion.

Not a fish fighting issueBUT I've had to fix a few BVKs cork grips or reel seat that had gluing issues and the grip was loose or totally released from the blank.

I have an 8 wt BVK that I use on Cape Cod and its a great rod. I've heard that they're not the most durable but haven't had an issue yet although mine hasn't be torture tested yet. You can easily land bass 20lbs plus in still water on it...where it gets harder is in fast water such as fast rivers or tidal rips. The saving grave is that TFO has a great warranty so if you ever break it you can get it replaced.

1 min ago, mitchman said:

I have an 8 wt BVK that I use on Cape Cod and its a great rod. I've heard that they're not the most durable but haven't had an issue yet although mine hasn't be torture tested yet. You can easily land bass 20lbs plus in still water on it...where it gets harder is in fast water such as fast rivers or tidal rips. The saving grave is that TFO has a great warranty so if you ever break it you can get it replaced.

do you think they will replace it with a actual bvk or be able to fix it now that they are discontinued?? the reason i ask about its durability is i read a couple fly shops reviews and guy states that he had a hard time fighting 2.5 kg fish with it, which is not expectable for a 8wt, but from what i hear guys are doing fine with it, im not looking to go after huge fish with it, just looking for it to do regular 8wt duties  

9 mins ago, Odessa44 said:

do you think they will replace it with a actual bvk or be able to fix it now that they are discontinued?? the reason i ask about its durability is i read a couple fly shops reviews and guy states that he had a hard time fighting 2.5 kg fish with it, which is not expectable for a 8wt, but from what i hear guys are doing fine with it, im not looking to go after huge fish with it, just looking for it to do regular 8wt duties  

I wasn't aware that they were discontinuing it! Call TFO and ask them if the warranty will still apply but I think that it should if you buy from authorized dealer. You fight fish with the reels/rod butt anyways and if your not in current you should be fine. 

..........occasionally every manufacturer has a bad run, TFO is no exception. Fortunately they have the ABSOLUTE BEST WARRANTEE in the business. I have had a broken rod mailed out and returned in six days. Don't worry about anything TFO.

I have an 8 wt BVK. No durability issues and it gets abused. It’s my favorite smallmouth bass river rod. I’ll let the he-men talk about how they can cast wind catching water absorbing streamers with a 5 wt (all lies). I prefer the nice easy casting of an 8 wt over flailing around a 5 wt so I can wear myself out and pretend to be a better caster then those using the proper tool for the job.  An 8 weight will land most striped bass but I’d go to a 9 because of fly size, wind and current. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, poopdeck said:

I have an 8 wt BVK. No durability issues and it gets abused. It’s my favorite smallmouth bass river rod. I’ll let the he-men talk about how they can cast wind catching water absorbing streamers with a 5 wt (all lies). I prefer the nice easy casting of an 8 wt over flailing around a 5 wt so I can wear myself out and pretend to be a better caster then those using the proper tool for the job.  An 8 weight will land most striped bass but I’d go to a 9 because of fly size, wind and current. 

Yea i have a 9wt as well, and the nrx plus rod in both 8 and 9wt, just picked up a bvk at a good price and trying to see if it will meet regular 8wt duties

Edited by Odessa44

7 hours ago, Odessa44 said:

Yea i have a 9wt as well, and the nrx plus rod in both 8 and 9wt, just picked up a bvk at a good price and trying to see if it will meet regular 8wt duties

It will.  Many people who comment on the BVK durability issues are often recounting what they've read, not necessarily commenting from direct or first-hand experience.