ASMFC bass meeting

Rate this topic

Fergal

Just now, ifishthebadspots said:

Smaller fish doesn't lay eggs and recovers quicker, and whoever fish3s to harvest won't cycle through 30 fish to catch slot, killing 3 in the process.

You kill one big fish - it's 15 years to get it back.

there is tons of studies showing they start reproducing around 23-24" and they grow slow. 36"+ could give you an extra 5 years of breeding before anyone can keep them. With the amount of small fish around they are going to be your heavy breeding class

Just now, canalsharpie said:

there is tons of studies showing they start reproducing around 23-24" and they grow slow. 36"+ could give you an extra 5 years of breeding before anyone can keep them. With the amount of small fish around they are going to be your heavy breeding class

I’ve seen fish of that size full blown pregnant before. 

9 mins ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

I guess there is some merit to it being beneficial but still. If that’s what they are falling back on, and not significant regulation changes because they are worried about economic impacts, then that is sad. 

My beneficial idea of it is basically the biggest mortality of the stripers is rec. They claim 9% average release mortality but the studies show water temperature can increase the release mortality by a greater percentage. Stopping people fishing during the warmest months could really do a huge help to cut down that mortality level. I also think we have a lot better chance getting that passed through than pretty much anything else they've talked about 

Edited by canalsharpie

4 mins ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

If you have a fish reach sexual maturity at 28” and there is a 36” minimum, that fish has at least 5 spawns before it becomes of size to keep. 

Fair point, but is it better than leaving all spawning fish alone and letting them breed more than people are allowed to catch (1 fish limit)? Because you can find over 36" at many choke points like the canal and block island, and they will all be harvested.

3 mins ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Fair point, but is it better than leaving all spawning fish alone and letting them breed more than people are allowed to catch (1 fish limit)? Because you can find over 36" at many choke points like the canal and block island, and they will all be harvested.

the best thing they can do IMO is go to 36" for next 5 seasons, to protect this smaller class. At that point then go to this slot idea once we have established a large body of fish in the 36+ range.

Edited by canalsharpie

6 mins ago, canalsharpie said:

I didn't know that. If true, maybe 36"+ is a much better idea.

4 mins ago, canalsharpie said:

My beneficial idea of it is basically the biggest mortality of the stripers is rec. They claim 9% average release mortality but the studies show water temperature can increase the release mortality by a greater percentage. Stopping people fishing during the warmest months could really do a huge help to cut down that mortality level. I also think we have a lot better chance getting that passed through than pretty much anything else they've talked about 

You’re right but what if the closure period is during a time when hardly any fish are around

5 mins ago, ifishthebadspots said:

that’s just a risk we would have to take. Invest in the good spawns we’ve had.