pete214

How to exchange a no longer serviced Penn 7500SS

13 posts in this topic

On 10/20/2021 at 11:35 AM, PENN Fishing said:

Hi Pete214,

The exchange would be done through our repair department.  I will send you a message with instructions on how to send in your reel.

Jim

Is it only the 75 series that can’t be serviced? Thanks

Hi Irishfire18.  Parts are in short supply for most SS reels.  Below is copied from out website.

Jim

Reels No Longer Serviced

We regret to inform you that we are no longer able to service the following PENN reels and downriggers. We appreciate your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Spinning reels:

• Prion
  • AF/Affinity
  • Captiva/CV2
  • Spinfisher Greenie & Z-Series
  • GR-Series
  • PG Series
  • Silver Series
  • Silverado
  • SS Series

Conventional reels:

• GLS Lever Drag
  • Baitcast/Levelmatic (910/920/930/940)
  • GTO Level Wind
  • Mag Power 970/80/90
  • 800 Series of line counter reels
  • Mariner Series
  • 118 16/0 Senator reel

Other:

• Electric/Manual Downriggers
  • Fly reels

While we no longer service these reels, they are still eligible for our exchange program, which offers customers an upgrade to a new series of reel (refurbished or new) at a discounted price with a full one-year warranty. If your PENN reel is not on this list, please contact us for information about servicing/exchanging your reel.

On 10/20/2021 at 3:02 PM, BrianBM said:

Send it to me too, please.  Mine's even older, an SS 750.

Oh come on, now.  That's a 35 year old reel.  You got your use.  Pay full price.  The people working at Penn have mortgages, car payments just like everybody else, LOL.

I have a 750 SS in my cabinet, too.  And a 550 SS.  And a 420 SS.  

On 10/22/2021 at 4:35 PM, Slacker said:

Oh come on, now.  That's a 35 year old reel.  You got your use.  Pay full price.  The people working at Penn have mortgages, car payments just like everybody else, LOL.

I have a 750 SS in my cabinet, too.  And a 550 SS.  And a 420 SS.  

What were you doing with a 750 sized reel anyway?  That was a monster reel.  The 650 was plenty big enough for normal stripe trash duty and if you needed more beef than that then it was time to switch to conventional. 

3 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

What were you doing with a 750 sized reel anyway?  That was a monster reel.  The 650 was plenty big enough for normal stripe trash duty and if you needed more beef than that then it was time to switch to conventional. 

It was the first "surf" reel I ever bought.  The sales guy talked me into it, LOL.  And I agree with your opinion.

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 mins ago, Slacker said:

It was the first "surf" reel I ever bought.  The sales guy talked me into it, LOL.  And I agree with your opinion.

He also talked me into putting it on a 12' Ugly Stick, LOL.  The whole thing was awful.  The rod was promptly gotten rid of but the reel remains.  12' rod that folded under about 4 and bait.

His other sales to me that day were an 8' Penn slammer rod (old white rods) and a 5500 SS (the graphite body SS... they were new to the market then)... that combo actually saw use, caught some fish and wasn't looked at with a sense of great regret and shame.  Of course, that rod and reel now live only in memory.  As does that particular store (Sportsmans Center, Bordentown, NJ).

Edited by Slacker

On 10/25/2021 at 1:00 PM, Slacker said:

On 10/25/2021 at 1:06 PM, Slacker said:

He also talked me into putting it on a 12' Ugly Stick, LOL.  The whole thing was awful.  The rod was promptly gotten rid of but the reel remains.  12' rod that folded under about 4 and bait.

His other sales to me that day were an 8' Penn slammer rod (old white rods) and a 5500 SS (the graphite body SS... they were new to the market then)... that combo actually saw use, caught some fish and wasn't looked at with a sense of great regret and shame.  Of course, that rod and reel now live only in memory.  As does that particular store (Sportsmans Center, Bordentown, NJ).

I swear I have the same story with a 550SS and a larger 850SS. I took it home, put it on the 11’ rod, and took it right back as an exchange for a 650SS!  

On 10/30/2021 at 7:50 AM, D1fishr said:

I swear I have the same story with a 550SS and a larger 850SS. I took it home, put it on the 11’ rod, and took it right back as an exchange for a 650SS!  

OMG- the 850SS.  Penn shouldn't give anyone a dime to exchange decades old equipment.