kulpy44

Accommodations near Riverhead

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I may be heading to Riverhead in the spring for work and am looking for any help/advice on local accommodations for a few months.  I've checked Craigslist and Apartmentsdotcom but haven't found many decently priced places to stay.  I'd prefer an RV-friendly campground with water, sewer and electric if possible, but an apartment would be fine also.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Riverhead is a strange place.  It's the gateway to the north and south forks, and has some upscale, one almost resort-style, accommodations, but it also has a lot of poverty, and what we might think of as typically urban problems.  Be very careful when you book, particularly in the lower price range.

Might make sense to try to find something a little farther west, and drive.  Not sure about campgrounds.  Also, not sure when in the spring you'll be there, but once Memorial Day comes around, you start getting tourists to the forks, which could make things more difficult.

One thing to look out for is some lower-priced motels that offer permanent Section 8 housing.  You don't want to end up in one of those.

1 hour ago, pakalolo said:

perhaps check listings in Hampton Bays or as Charles stated a bit west, Riverhead , for the most part, is a ghetto

I was trying to be kind...

And the place has some good restaurants, if you don't get held up in the parking lot.

On 10/19/2021 at 11:27 PM, kulpy44 said:

I may be heading to Riverhead in the spring for work and am looking for any help/advice on local accommodations for a few months.  I've checked Craigslist and Apartmentsdotcom but haven't found many decently priced places to stay.  I'd prefer an RV-friendly campground with water, sewer and electric if possible, but an apartment would be fine also.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Another option is to look out east a bit on the North Fork !

Good luck you are going to one of the most expensive places on the island.

I finally had enough of north fork prices. It was no longer the amazing farm country beach towns i grew up in first as a summer kid at my grandparents. Then as yr round young parent, self employed business owner.

There is no cheap place to rent that is also safe. Youd end up in the hood of riverhead.

If you go slightly west you start running into the apartment rental market for stonybrook university.

My suggestion is quogue or east moriches. Fast ride up to riverhead from there and you can even avoid the LIE.

Indian Island County Park would be ideal location for you, but I think they might be closed for the season. A little further out East there’s Cliff & Ed’s Campground in Cutchogue.

I heard good things about Indian Island but you might have to be a county resident. You'll have to check about Cliff & Ed further for details.