Saltwater Fisherman’s Pledge

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

The Saltwater Fishermen’s Pledge

No Bait

No Barbs

No Trebles

C&R - all species

All normally apply to me but I took a 23" fluke this year....caught accidently while bass fishing.  First fish I killed in 30 years and will probably be the last.  Do I qualify?      

22 mins ago, TheSuperApe said:

Disgusting.

I just spent an hour throwing cigar minnows on a treble hook with barbs attempting to kill a fish.

Step your game up. Ive been shooting at the ocean with my rifle and throwing car batteries into the sea as often as I can to kill a fish.

25 mins ago, TheSuperApe said:

Disgusting.

I just spent an hour throwing cigar minnows on a treble hook with barbs attempting to kill a fish.

You should feel shame. Fish feel pain. 

I listened to a podcast episode recently from a magazine with an environmental perspective that argued that frequent catch and release was more harmful to a fish stock than selective harvesting (e.g one keeper fish a month) with shorter windows of fishing time and fewer fish hooked. How comfortable are we with hooking fewer fish so we put less stress on the fish stock? That's a hard one. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but it was a compelling idea anyway. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Dr. Billvis said:

I listened to a podcast episode recently from a magazine with an environmental perspective that argued that frequent catch and release was more harmful to a fish stock than selective harvesting (e.g one keeper fish a month) with shorter windows of fishing time and fewer fish hooked. How comfortable are we with hooking fewer fish so we put less stress on the fish stock? That's a hard one. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but it was a compelling idea anyway. 

Catch and release fishing is 'torture'. Sport fishing is lame. I aim to catch my keepers with as few releases as possible. When my goal is reached I stop attempting to catch them. When only small fish seem to be present I stop throwing for them. Its a sustainable practice if everyone participates. If you don't eat fish, stop fishing.

I'm also ashamed to say in that hour of fishing I messed up a kings mouth/gills possibly without the opportunity to kill it. Who wins in that situation? No one. When a deer is shot and not found its shameful. 

Edited by TheSuperApe

9 hours ago, Kima said:

You want me to let a keeper fluke, seabass, or tog go?

Get lost.

I’m with you except for the really large Tog.

I’ve read that they are slow growers and hard to sustain if we cull the biggest breeders. (Not at all my area of expertise just what I have read.)

It would be more helpful to shame the picture takers. If you couldn't brag about it would you bother? Another thing would be to stop feeding others, neighbors and friends with your catch. Half the time I wonder if they even eat those fish.

8 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

It would be more helpful to shame the picture takers. If you couldn't brag about it would you bother? Another thing would be to stop feeding others, neighbors and friends with your catch. Half the time I wonder if they even eat those fish.

I will share a fish but if I find out you froze it "for later"  you are done!!!

I get you fresh fish cared for properly and fileted and you want to ruin it :banghd: