FishermanTim

I'm done with the salt!

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

With the steady decline in the fishery, the loss of accessibility to some areas and the mentality of some of the anglers, I'm giving up.

I went fishing last night, first time this year, and I couldn't get to my spot.

That wasn't the only reason for my resignation, just the final straw...

Drove down to fish the Powder Point Bridge in Duxbury, only to find that the bridge is closed for "repairs"

That in itself isn't a bad thing, but the fact that they've been throwing lots of money to "put a band-aid on a bullet wound" is upsetting.

They know the bridge should be replaced, but won't do that. Instead they will continue to keep patching here and there (more frequently it seems).

Maybe I may try fishing the salt again, but I'm not going to make plans or buy any tackle until I decide I want to try again.

In the meantime, I'll double down on my freshwater fishing.

Yea I cut back on the salt myself. I only go to certain place where I know I can have some space to myself and when I have a good chance of catching fish, or if I just want to get away and relax for a night. I dont fish as hard as I used to. I have not caught a striped bass in maybe 2 years either. I still make an annual pilgrimage to my super secret tautog spot in the spring for a few hours of togging as well. I hope the fishery recovers within my lifetime. Im halfway to dead already

19 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

With the steady decline in the fishery, the loss of accessibility to some areas and the mentality of some of the anglers, I'm giving up.

I went fishing last night, first time this year, and I couldn't get to my spot.

That wasn't the only reason for my resignation, just the final straw...

Drove down to fish the Powder Point Bridge in Duxbury, only to find that the bridge is closed for "repairs"

That in itself isn't a bad thing, but the fact that they've been throwing lots of money to "put a band-aid on a bullet wound" is upsetting.

They know the bridge should be replaced, but won't do that. Instead they will continue to keep patching here and there (more frequently it seems).

Maybe I may try fishing the salt again, but I'm not going to make plans or buy any tackle until I decide I want to try again.

In the meantime, I'll double down on my freshwater fishing.

13 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Yea I cut back on the salt myself. I only go to certain place where I know I can have some space to myself and when I have a good chance of catching fish, or if I just want to get away and relax for a night. I dont fish as hard as I used to. I have not caught a striped bass in maybe 2 years either. I still make an annual pilgrimage to my super secret tautog spot in the spring for a few hours of togging as well. I hope the fishery recovers within my lifetime. Im halfway to dead already

I know the feeling all too well. A few nights this summer I looked at the crowds at 2am, and simply turned around and went home. :(

The only thing exciting enough for me to get out this year was Albies. That’s pretty bad for me. Hopefully the desire comes back but the state of things lately is a bit depressing. 

Due to a perfect storm of factors I’ve all but given up on saltwater fishing over the last couple of years. 
Being 2+ hours away and the resulting time commitment involved it’s hard to justify for me. Did my yearly camping/fishing trip last week and was frustrated with how crowded it was everywhere and parking issues I’ve never encountered before. When we were fishing I found myself wishing I was playing disc golf instead… took it up a year ago and have come to find it way more rewarding than fishing… words I never thought I’d say, lol.

Ten years ago it was all my life was about, even with the long drive. 
Sleep means more to me now with my advancing age :thumbd:

3 hours ago, Tailslap said:

The only thing exciting enough for me to get out this year was Albies. That’s pretty bad for me. Hopefully the desire comes back but the state of things lately is a bit depressing. 

Looks like you and I have something we can both agree in. 

3 hours ago, Tailslap said:

If one was to focus more on some of the other species on occasion , like mackerel, sea bass, scup along with tog and even fluke , it is possible to enjoy salt water fishing a little more. Bass and Blue fishing for me has become almost impossible due to physical conditions, however making and catching some of the other species still provides the desire to continue to fish. After all it is called fishing for a reason and not catching or so I was told when I first began Peace and Prayers

So many obstacles this season. Back Surgery, Covid, Hurt and Out of work, EP's don't care, poachers, seals, girl friends whining...still found the bass. :manpig:

11F20D24-4AFC-42AC-A47D-2C0BD4042620.gif

16 mins ago, zeke04 said:

If you can be satisfied with catching schoolies, there are more around the Cape than I have seen in some time. Single hooks, quick release.

zeke, I'm flying up there next week for business.  Any still around?  

Maybe the fact that the bridge is closed might be beneficial to you. Sounds like a potential win win. No traffic on the bridge. You can even keep your fish in the middle of the road.  Could you still park right there?

The lack of stripes and blues, disappearing access, crowds of social media report followers, and 2hr. ride have returned me to my freshwater roots. 
Don’t get me wrong…. I still love to go offshore to Jeffries Ledge for an easy limit of haddock or pull a few shoulder muscles battling whitechins up out of the inshore rock piles but, I enjoy the solitude I find on the banks of streams and ponds more than the crowds surfcasting these days. :howdy: