Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bizz13

Mid-October trip

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Quick update from S. Nags Head! Saturday night cold front left Sunday surf rocking. Spent most of the day doing family stuff and gearing up for the week. Monday surf was moderate, picked up black drum in the surf. Stopped by the little bridge near lunch time and had some fun with specks, landed 2 and lost 2 all on the trout trick swimmer. Just got back from OBX pier landed a flounder on shrimp and a nice bluefish working a gotcha plug. Couple other guys were also having luck with the blues, well the ones that didn't get bitten off lol, also saw a few pompano landed closer to shore.

Will be back at the pier tonight. Surf looks very calm next two days, which means beach days, which means dad gets to fish all day!

Cheers!

10 mins ago, Bizz13 said:

Quick update from S. Nags Head! Saturday night cold front left Sunday surf rocking. Spent most of the day doing family stuff and gearing up for the week. Monday surf was moderate, picked up black drum in the surf. Stopped by the little bridge near lunch time and had some fun with specks, landed 2 and lost 2 all on the trout trick swimmer. Just got back from OBX pier landed a flounder on shrimp and a nice bluefish working a gotcha plug. Couple other guys were also having luck with the blues, well the ones that didn't get bitten off lol, also saw a few pompano landed closer to shore.

Will be back at the pier tonight. Surf looks very calm next two days, which means beach days, which means dad gets to fish all day!

Cheers!

Sounds good. Keep us posted!

Glass calm water Wednesday and Thursday, made the flatness of nags head very apparent. Tough out on the surf, but I did get a blue to bite a bucktail under the full moon which was an experience lol. Wednesday we hit Jeanette's pier w/ the baby, only for an hour but managed a few spot and one speck, had to downsize my hooks. Never fished a concrete pillar pier before...man do you loose shrimp as soon as it hits the water. Thursday got to head down to the new Bonner bridge pier, again concrete pillar, shrimps gone. But I talked to a guy that had luck there with sheep and tog. Will try next trip with bottom sweepers and crabs. Got a couple short flounder w/ a voodoo shrimp which was cool. Hit the little bridge this morning, trout on soft plastic and caught a baby blue lol.

Tough on the surf and no reds, but for a family trip I'll take the mixed bag all day!

Also just noticed I had a slam, not an OBX slam bc no red...but speck, flounder, and blue.

Also, anyone in the future doing research, I saw my bites and landings drop in half without using a leader off the little bridge for speckled trout. 10lb white braid, 20 fluoro with a zman trout trick was the ticket.