tropicalfisher

Lake Trout without Trolling?

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi all, has anyone had much consistent success going for lakers without a downrigger/trolling? I would be fishing from a kayak, wanted to know whether anyone has caught any, maybe by dragging spoons/deepwater hardbodies. Thanks!

Edited by tropicalfisher

Absolutely.

Vertical jigging in lakes works very well.

I've fished with a guide in the Finger Lakes, on both Cayuga and Owasco, and had very good action in late September/early October vertrial jigging a white swimbait on a 1 oz head.  It's like diamond jigging bass or bluefish.  You find fish on your depthfinder, drop the lure down, and crank it all the way back to the surface.  Fish will sometimes hit deep, but occasionally follow and hit close to the top.

I know a guide, who I have never fished with, who has had good luck doing about the same thing on Lake Champlain.

18 hours ago, tropicalfisher said:

Hi all, has anyone had much consistent success going for lakers without a downrigger/trolling? I would be fishing from a kayak, wanted to know whether anyone has caught any, maybe by dragging spoons/deepwater hardbodies. Thanks!

I fish Quabbin reservoir in western MA quite often. I primarily troll but whenever I mark a bunch of fish on the fish finder, I'll pull up and jig for lakers. You can use many types lures for this, kastmasters, deadly dicks, paddle tail plastics, bucktails, etc.

In the spring, lakers will be in shallow water, close to shore. I know many smallmouth fishermen who catch sizeable lakers in the spring when they are fishing for pre-spawn smallies. Smallies and lakers tend to hang out at the same spots in the spring and late fall (pre ice over). Blade baits, stick baits, crawfish plastics on jig heads, etc work well for this.

6 mins ago, zak-striper said:

In the spring, lakers will be in shallow water, close to shore. I know many smallmouth fishermen who catch sizeable lakers in the spring when they are fishing for pre-spawn smallies. Smallies and lakers tend to hang out at the same spots in the spring and late fall (pre ice over). Blade baits, stick baits, crawfish plastics on jig heads, etc work well for this.

Didn't think of the spring, but yes, if you have a pond/lake/reservoir that holds lake trout, casting from shore can work well.

There's a place in SE New York where I've done well on a 2/5 oz. Blue/Silver Dardevle, letting it sink down for a 10 or 15 count (there's a dropoff right next to the shore) and bringing it back with a slow, pumping/fluttering retrieve during the first half of April.

4 hours ago, tropicalfisher said:

Nice, great replies. Has anyone tried suspending baits eg worms successfully for lakers?

It could be done. In the spring, when I shore fish Wachusett reservoir, I have a slip bobber setup so I can fish shiners near the top for salmon.  I'll have the shiner set about 3' down in 20' of water but more than once I've had a nice laker hit it.

When I troll for salmon at Quabbin I often catch lakers that are also hanging around the thermocline along with salmon and rainbows. So it fish are hanging at 30', you could have bait down at that depth.  Shiners will most likely work better than worms. You could use a slip bobber setup with the stop knot at 30' or you could just drop a shiner down to 30' with a slip sinker above the hook.

We caught em on live saw bellies and pike shiners a few cranks off the bottom drifting 100’ of water when we were fishing the finger lakes a few years ago. 

Only by accident did I catch aLaker from the shoreline . If you want to catch them more often vertical jigging . Most like deep cold water except in the spring when they move closer to the shoreline. 
my preference is lead core line 5-7 colors = spoons , in a row boat slow between 70’-100’ deep . 

In the wilderness fly-in  lakes of Alaska and the NW Territory, we wire line trolled spoons along with jigging. We built rods from the cheapest 7 1/2 ft telesoping flipping sticks we could find and changed the tip top to a roller tip for the wire. They worked very well. Old Penn reels for the wire, Shimano 251 Calcuttas for the rest.

I'll bet in 5 yrs there will be a lot more threads about bass (fresh water type) and trout and salmon.  Write it down and remember this conversation.  LOL I'm going to make the move next summer.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I used to troll for big rainbows deep in the center of lake kapowsin.  I looked for marks on the lowrance for depth. Then dropped a down rigger  and a flasher with a wedding ring or a bluefox vibrax as a trailer instead of a herring cutplug. 

very slow troll, very slow fishing, very boring, very big trout, and very rare hit at that lake. But it works

Edited by Callmefish
Not an edit, just misread the title of the post.

On 10/29/2021 at 7:41 PM, spoonplugger1 said:

Callmefish,

You had a downrigger on a kayak?

No a 14’ aluminum boat which honestly was still pretty bad.

i misread the post, i thought you WERE asking about trolling.

i was basically trying to say troll down deep with a big”ish” flasher and some sort of trailer behind it. If you only want to turn one direction on an aluminum boat downrigger works great.

On 10/18/2021 at 4:12 PM, tropicalfisher said:

depends on where you are. I know by me there’s a period just after ice out at Lake George (NY) when they push up into the tributary‘s after bait.  Ive been meaning for years to get up there and try to hit them then.