Baccigalup

Fireline. Crystal vs original smoke

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Anyone notice a difference in crystal vs smoke for strength?   I had to get a large spool of 20 lb crystal since I couldn't find smoke.....I notice the smoke says original, crystal doesn't.   Crystal seems less stiff and actually frays vs smoke original.  Lost more lures this year with snapoffs than I have had with original..mostly at the uni to uni and if I attach a teaser on top of it...  thought they were the same but I guess knot....

@Baccigalup and @t_man7 are you using the 8 carrier “ultra 8” version of FL Crystal? Or the old fashioned original version?

I like original although I never tried the ultra 8. Crystal 8 is the thinnest line I use, but I find more “nicks” than in any other super line I have. 

Crystal 10 and 14 are almost bulletproof for me but I do find the casting distance loses a little compared to some other more wispy line so it’s a matter of safer against wind versus distance. 

1 hour ago, EricDice said:

@Baccigalup and @t_man7 are you using the 8 carrier “ultra 8” version of FL Crystal? Or the old fashioned original version?

I like original although I never tried the ultra 8. Crystal 8 is the thinnest line I use, but I find more “nicks” than in any other super line I have. 

Crystal 10 and 14 are almost bulletproof for me but I do find the casting distance loses a little compared to some other more wispy line so it’s a matter of safer against wind versus distance. 

Original....although I will say it's confusing how they package it lately, some says original others have just fireline...I just bought a 1500 yard roll from tacke direct and the label does not say original but it is the same stuff.    I find the crystal 20 lb is more akin to ppro that gave me nothing but issues

That original smoke in 30 lb is amazing. Been using it for the past 5 years with no breakoffs whatsoever and maybe one wind loop a season.  Won’t cast to Europe but tough as nails.  

I jig a lot even when tog fishing to draw attention. I find the crystal just stiff enough to tip wrap frequently.

Not a real scientific test but a quickie, I took the 20lb crystal and 30 lb smoked and rubbed it back and forth about 30 times on a peice of wood,  look at the difference 

16345997551494245712496147243010.jpg

16345997957297124729459024764387.jpg

11 mins ago, F1SH said:

Been using fireline for years. Crystal or smoke, doesn’t matter. The crystal breaks in a little faster than the smoke. 

Me too but mostly smoke,  won't be using crystal afterni finish this spool...too bad its 1500 yards.   Ill just use it on my fluke reels

Been using crystal for 20 plus years now and never had a problem. 

Last 4 years or so, been spooling with 14 lb. Crystal Ultra 8...... :heart::heart:

4 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Last 4 years or so, been spooling with 14 lb. Crystal Ultra 8...... :heart::heart:

I've been happy with the 14 & 10lb I have loaded up. 

TBO, I'm not all that fussy about stuff.