mets41

Mystic River Fishing

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I live in NJ but daughter relocated to Chelsea MA, Are there any bluefish and Bass in Mystic River? Would love to be able to fish when she and my boss go out shopping!!

Thanks in advance!!

3 mins ago, mets41 said:

I live in NJ but daughter relocated to Chelsea MA, Are there any bluefish and Bass in Mystic River? Would love to be able to fish when she and my boss go out shopping!!

Thanks in advance!!

I dont think there are any blues, but I am pretty sure bass can be found during the summer months, all the way up to the Mystic lakes

2 hours ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

I dont think there are any blues, but I am pretty sure bass can be found during the summer months, all the way up to the Mystic lakes

Bluefish do, rarely make their way past the dam up through Malden, at least. Bass holdover in the lakes. Below the Amelia Earhart Dam used to be amazing during the herring run, but it was a night bite, and they started rousting anglers after dark post 9/11.

There are huge numbers of small carp, a 10lber is a trophy, but targeting them with appropriate tackle, including fly, can be a good time. There are decent numbers of LMB, but nothing to write home about. Last time I was down there the white perch bite was very good, but I wouldn't recommend taking anything home.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bass and Blue's go right up to the locks. i have seen Bass and Blues right in side the locks chasing Pogies and on the other side.   This years they drove the Pogies right into the locks and hundreds of them died right outside the locks. They were all floating dead on the shoreline. Lack of oxygen

Carp go under the docks all the time , some are 20 lbs. and better.  They catch them with pieces of Hot Dog

LMB are under the lilly pads

Edited by ccb

The Lower Charles has good LMB and even some SMB fishing, with occasional stripers -- the largemouth like cover near shore, and the smallmouth like current, steep drop-offs and rocks.

Fishing at the dam works well at times but you need a little boat planning. Boat traffic and very tide dependent. Lived 1/2 mile away for 18 years and it was very hot and cold. Occassilnally this year there have been some nice fish taken there but I seldom caught one that was exceptional. Seldom have I seen many blues there. Mystic Lakes are well worth the effort.