c4charlie

Conventional Reel with strong mono and cranking power

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

What conventional reel would work to get large fish 40-100lbs out of a close channel that has about a 20-30 foot ledge.  I am thinking something old school that holds 200lb mono and maybe a stronger leader.  Braid does not work in this location as it pops on the ledge.  Currents are also strong.  We want to get these monsters over that ledge but they laugh at us even after long fights.  I am also trying to not break the bank as this is not our primary type of fishing.  I would use the same reel for monster sharks from the beach if I kayak out the baits. Thanks in advance.

Penn 6/0 Special Senator would be where I might start. An unpopular size these days, would find one with a Tiburon frame on EBay. I would end up with a 2 speed International 50 in low gear though for about 5x the price. Sounds like an unreal fishery.

Look into using a slide gaff.

They come in various types. A gaff (rope attached) is slid down your main line and either hooks onto the fish or locks onto your terminal tackle.

Thanks for all of these replies.  I have a couple ideas and there is a 6/0 senator tiburon frame on eBay right now.

the cast is only 30 ft or so depending on tide. 

how would I rig a senator 6/0 to bring a fish out of the channel onto a ledge that is 20-30ft?  Can’t use braid.  

we could go by boat and avoid all this but everyone knows that boat fish don’t count.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

41 mins ago, c4charlie said:

Thanks for all of these replies.  I have a couple ideas and there is a 6/0 senator tiburon frame on eBay right now.

the cast is only 30 ft or so depending on tide. 

how would I rig a senator 6/0 to bring a fish out of the channel onto a ledge that is 20-30ft?  Can’t use braid.  

we could go by boat and avoid all this but everyone knows that boat fish don’t count.  

200lbs up rocks??? Swingingaff hook:rav:

3D58FD46-CC39-402F-B9CB-A06E68BE336D.jpeg

6BD302B0-EA8A-465E-82F9-2874E292CB1B.jpeg

Edited by RAW
Addition

13 hours ago, c4charlie said:

What conventional reel would work to get large fish 40-100lbs out of a close channel that has about a 20-30 foot ledge.  I am thinking something old school that holds 200lb mono and maybe a stronger leader.  Braid does not work in this location as it pops on the ledge.  Currents are also strong.  We want to get these monsters over that ledge but they laugh at us even after long fights.  I am also trying to not break the bank as this is not our primary type of fishing.  I would use the same reel for monster sharks from the beach if I kayak out the baits. Thanks in advance.

Is the ledge that is breaking the line under water?  If so it sounds like you need something high speed to get the fish over the ledge before it had a chance to dive back. 

If you used 50lb coated cable as a main line your issues with breaking off would disappear. There's some guys who get gag groupers off deep wrecks in the gulf of Mexico with a long trace of cable instead of mono or braid. Some of that structure down insta-cuts even 200lb mono, there just isn't another way. It's next to impossible to move them fast enough to not get cut off. 

What is your target species?

Edited by RedGreen

I am not a big conventional fisherman but I do own a 12 foot Mojo Conventional Rod that I purchased at one time for sharks off the beach.  Regarding these monsters we were losing... we were not suing steel leaders, they are in a channel at night and they were making drag screaming runs for a lot of the fight and did not break the water surface.  Maybe cobia, maybe giant reds, some fish that decided it is lost and wanted to check out an inlet/channel.  Not sure yet.  We do not think it was a shark or a ray because we had no steel leader and catch a lot of rays to 50lbs or so often when shark fishing.

I am in the Charleston, SC area to give you some ideas of the fishery.  We caught 40 inch reds all weekend but this was much bigger and way stronger.

I really appreciate this advice.  I think I am going to go with an old school big conventional reel and the coated cable may be a possibility.  Never even heard of that option.  Mono would eventually get cut. 

The ledge is either breaking or hanging the sinker terminal tackle.  I wish I knew what this ledge looks like.  It would be hard to get the fish over even with a high speed because I am pretty sure the strong current is putting us on the near side of the ledge.  This is a new spot for us and holds some monsters at night right now.  I may put up a BST post to see if someone may have a reel similar to what was mentioned.  The Ebay one is not a buy it now so it will take a week or so.

I am going to do some research as well on how to line this reel and see what you recommend.  This is something new but may show us what these fish are if I can figure it out soon.

Anymore advice greatly appreciated.

If you can swim well and safely, Dive it at slack. You'll see what's down there for sure.

Edited by RedGreen

Most Fl. Big fish know every ledge, edge , pilling and anything thats their escape.the Penn high speed senator series should do the job of retrieving. Going to a longer rod really helps , 9-10 stout rod give plenty of lift and torque. Tarpon, grouper and any red or snook that rig stops them before they get to ease, like reef fishing, Just gets a lot less sporting. I use Ande 60 lb straight, no leader . It’s very abrasion resistant , inexpensive and never failed in 60 yrs. tight lines, show some pics:rav:

I picked up a 6/0 senator that came with a penn roller rod that will allow me to do wire if I wish.  The reel is massive.  Never had anything like that.  I am sure we will also use it from the boat when we go to the reefs if there are big fish around.

For my very specific purpose, I would like to line that rod with copper coated wire since my cast is only a lob to the channel.  I have never used a wire line for a bigger length.  It comes in 300, 600, or 1000 feet.  The problem is the rod is only 6ft so I don't have a lot of height from the surf.  I am thinking if this line would work as it is meant for trolling and is only 45 pound test which may be a concern?  I am looking at this... Blood Run Tackle Super Copper Trolling Wire 

Any opinions.  Main concern is that eventhough it is wire it is rated to only 45lbs. May not be the right coated wire I am looking at.