WoodyCT

Husqvarna Chainsaws at Lowes - Quality?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Lowes sells Husky saws, but Husky does not list Lowes as a dealer on their site.

Anyone know if the Husky saws sold at Lowes or other big box stores are the same exact saws they sell in smaller shops?

I am concerned that the Lowes saws are lesser quality.

Thanks

Is Husky Husquvarna? I have a Husquvarna made in Singapore, purchased in a local Sears, before it closed. Starting it is a pain, but it's fine for the light duty use to which I put it.

They made rifles, once. They were supposed to be pretty good.

Posted (edited) · Report post

this is the same thing said about John Deere garden tractors and it’s equally incorrect. Husky saws are husky saws no matter where they are purchased. Like every manufacturer, husky sells lesser quality saws and better quality saws or budget saws and Cadillac saws. Husky saws sold at big box stores are budget saws made to compete against other budget saws. You can buy the budget husky saw at a big box store or a dealer and it’s the exact same saw.

poulan is made by husky. It’s their bargain basement homeowner saw. So actually a poulan is a real husky with a different name because they are so cheaply made. I personally would never buy a poulan even though they are made by husky. 

Edited by poopdeck

Thanks all. 

The saw is a $600 pro saw (Husqvarna's words) sold internationally that is very well regarded.

The SKU on the Lowe's saw is the exact same as the on the Husqvarna site.

I would prefer to buy from a mom and pop dealer but there are very near me.

Like others have said it’s the same saw at Lowe’s or a dealer. Lowes just carries fewer models and typically are smaller more economical saws. I have a 435 from Lowe’s that has had no issues. I’m pretty sure they are all still made in Sweden. There’s a metal tag on the side that says the country. 

5 hours ago, WoodyCT said:

Thanks all. 

The saw is a $600 pro saw (Husqvarna's words) sold internationally that is very well regarded.

If I was spending $600, I would also invest the time to drive to a shop I expect to stay in business for the relatively foreseeable future. I would spend my money there and try to make sure they remember me. Then, I would bring it back there for maintenance and again if any problems arise. 

If you won’t use it really all that much to go that route, why spend $600? Get the budget one.

in other words, roll the “dice.”

Hey, you can trust me - “dice” is in my username. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, WoodyCT said:

Thanks all. 

i am curious.  you dont want to buy it from lowes . rather buy it from a little guy but you dont have any near you. seems you answered one of your questions yourself.

so  whatever saw you like, call the little guy you found and ask him for a price on the same one, then you can decide where to get it.   i have  5  small engine guys with in 5 miles of me. 3 of them are within a mile of each other

one of them decided to go full blown stihl dealer and would not work on any other brand.   after 2 years, he had to tuck his tail and go back to working on everything as his work was cut by 2/3rds.he found out most people will go to the closest shop not specifying one brand only. one of them lives two doors from me and want to give him my work when needed, but his prices are outrageous. 

Edited by coolhandfluke

What kind of maintenance are you guys bringing your saws to repair shops for? There’s not really much maintenance to do. Use quality fuel and you should have no issues. Keep the chain tensioned properly, flip the bar occasionally, sharpen or change the chain. Pretty basic stuff. I’m not paying anyone to do any of that. 

Yep, I’ve never had my saw in the shop and I use whatever gas I happen to have when I need it. Not really any maintenance to it. 

with that said, I do buy most, not all but most, of my outdoor power tools from a local dealer. In fact my chainsaw is the only exception. No reason other than I like the local dealer, they are closer then big box, the prices are the same, and they fill everything with gas and oil and start the piece of equipment making sure it runs right before you ever walk out the door with it. I’ve never had a single issue with a gas engine. 

On 10/18/2021 at 11:40 PM, z-man said:

What kind of maintenance are you guys bringing your saws to repair shops for? There’s not really much maintenance to do. Use quality fuel and you should have no issues. Keep the chain tensioned properly, flip the bar occasionally, sharpen or change the chain. Pretty basic stuff. I’m not paying anyone to do any of that. 

Bringing to a repair shop ????   never done it.   The only time my saws saw the shop was when I purchased them.    Run clean fuel, change the plug and air filter and the engine should run for a lot of years.   

In 2011 when we had the big ice storm here in Mass you couldn't find a saw.  My old on had died and had only a small electric one I ran of the generator as we didn't have power for a week.  The next week I had to go down to the King of Prussia area for work.  Picked up a new Husky at Lowes in Oak's and working great 10 years later.

Cabo

On 10/18/2021 at 0:50 PM, EricDice said:

If I was spending $600, I would also invest the time to drive to a shop I expect to stay in business for the relatively foreseeable future. I would spend my money there and try to make sure they remember me. Then, I would bring it back there for maintenance and again if any problems arise. 

If you won’t use it really all that much to go that route, why spend $600? Get the budget one.

in other words, roll the “dice.”

Hey, you can trust me - “dice” is in my username. 

I bought a Stihl saw a couple years ago from a local shop I had driven by for probably 40 years. They closed up they’re gone out of business, another Wawa coming to town. :dismay:

On 10/24/2021 at 6:44 PM, ted527 said:

I bought a Stihl saw a couple years ago from a local shop I had driven by for probably 40 years. They closed up they’re gone out of business, another Wawa coming to town. :dismay:

Rolled the dice a different way, I guess. I was thinking of the “risky” fashion with cheaper saws. You got the shaft from the investment approach. 

Some days you get the barr, and some days the barr gets you.