drumsfield

Daiwa BG MQ vs Saltist MQ

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Second attempt at asking this question.... 

Besides the oversized knob and color difference. What is the difference between the two? The BG is about $100 cheaper than the saltist, but comparing the specs they look identical.

Edited by drumsfield

9 mins ago, Snook_Slayr said:

Do yourself a favor get a spheros/gosa 

I second this. Both MQ reels are nice but too many plastic parts for a reel that price. I had the saltist mq. Great reel but drag clicker was pretty quiet for a reel that price. It’s a lot like a smooth, non-geary slammer with all the power of a slammer. Just too any plastic parts for the price tag. You would expect more for what you pay for

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a Saragossa 6000 and several stratics. The reason I was looking at Daiwa was because I also have the older saltist and ballistic reels and they have lasted better than the stratics I own for light tackle jigging. I'm really disappointed in the stratics as both of them needed to have their roller bearings replaced and don't seem to hold up well in the salt water environment. And imo the build quantity of the newer Daiwa look better that Shimano. Plus Daiwa are a little cheaper. I've been happy with the saltist and ballistic reels.

The 4000 series have a Max drag of 26 lbs which make the reels good for offshore as well. The smallest Saragossa is 5000 which is too big for what I'm looking to do.

Edited by drumsfield

5 hours ago, drumsfield said:

I have a Saragossa 6000 and several stratics. The reason I was looking at Daiwa was because I also have the older saltist and ballistic reels and they have lasted better than the stratics I own for light tackle jigging. I'm really disappointed in the stratics as both of them needed to have their roller bearings replaced and don't seem to hold up well in the salt water environment. And imo the build quantity of the newer Daiwa look better that Shimano. Plus Daiwa are a little cheaper. I've been happy with the saltist and ballistic reels.

The 4000 series have a Max drag of 26 lbs which make the reels good for offshore as well. The smallest Saragossa is 5000 which is too big for what I'm looking to do.

The build quality is definitely far better by Daiwa for sure. More rigid. More power. If you are looking for rigidity and longevity of performance, daiwa for sure. I never thought Shimano reels were meant for heavy duty fishing unless you are into playing your drag. If you like to horse fish in or try to get them in as quickly as possible, anything but Shimano. Only way your Shimano reels are going to last is if you actually play and use the drag to play fish or else the gears get beat up. My stradic 5000FL has seen multiple 20lbers in heavy current this year and many slots and works like it’s new cuz I play the drag on it

1 hour ago, LockedDrag said:

The build quality is definitely far better by Daiwa for sure. More rigid. More power. If you are looking for rigidity and longevity of performance, daiwa for sure. I never thought Shimano reels were meant for heavy duty fishing unless you are into playing your drag. If you like to horse fish in or try to get them in as quickly as possible, anything but Shimano. Only way your Shimano reels are going to last is if you actually play and use the drag to play fish or else the gears get beat up. My stradic 5000FL has seen multiple 20lbers in heavy current this year and many slots and works like it’s new cuz I play the drag on it

LockedDrag huh???

giphy.gif

3 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

LockedDrag huh???

giphy.gif

Haha I try to bully fish in but in the chance they turn their head, my drag is always ready to go. I fish hard but I also fish smart in case something goes wrong

I watched the tackle advisor's YouTube teardown of the bg mq. I left unimpressed. I went ahead and ordered two saltist mq 4000. It should be exactly what I need for bay, near shore, and offshore fishing. Should be able to land Rockfish, mahi, and tuna with it and 20-30 lb main line.