horsefly

Battery chargers

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Thinking of an on board battery charger and was looking for some recommendations. I use a Minn Kota dual bank on my 16' alum. boat and it has done the job. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was researching info on Minn Kota last night a read the below, don't know if it involves your application.

SELECTING THE CORRECT BATTERIES
Using DC or Alternator ChargersYour Minn K___ trolling motor may be designed with an internal bonding wire to reduce sonar interference. Most alternator charging
systems do not account for this bonding wire, and connect the negative posts of the trolling motor batteries to the negative posts of the
crank/starting battery. These external connections can damage connected electronics and the electrical system of your trolling motor,
voiding your warranty. Review your charger’s manual carefully or consult the manufacturer prior to use to ensure your charger is compatible.
Minn Kota recommends using Minn Kota brand chargers to recharge the batteries connected to your Minn Kota trolling motor, as they
have been engineered to work with motors that include a bonding wire.

Edited by squidder 329

Thank You for the response. I really was looking for any info on chargers for the two batteries on my CC. I do not get to use it as much as I used to so I was looking at a charger to keep the batteries fully charged. Thank You again. 

Noco makes a pretty decent on board charger. There’s much higher end but the brand name escapes me right now. The noco should get the job done.

Solar is an option. 24 Volt. You can buy em up to 10amp if needed. Perfect to maintain a fully charged battery when not using.

You can find it in all price ranges.

92B4D60D-8CF5-4DF8-AB33-78D9BBCDB11D.jpeg

On 10/17/2021 at 11:04 AM, horsefly said:

Thinking of an on board battery charger and was looking for some recommendations. I use a Minn Kota dual bank on my 16' alum. boat and it has done the job. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Which model Minn Kota?

I've had a couple brands over the years including Minn Kota.

My current ones are Pro Sport.

Any number of options available.

^^pro sport is good, I have a guest 10/15 dual bank going on >15 years.  Really, I don't even know how old it is at this point.

I think key to longevity is to keep them cool.  I glassed in 1" vertical ribs to mount mine so there is airflow behind it

Can't remember off the top of my head. It has done a great job, only a few years old. I have looked at the NOCO Genius and that looks interesting. It got a good rating. Can only use my boat until Dec.1 due to insurance coverage so I do have time for more research. Thanks for all the input.

Noco is the modern day on board killer ..puts  most all other brands  to shame in the same price range. . Quarter of the size . Sealed system.  Bigger supplied wires. Not one has came back that I have installed. 

All I install now. 

I have been doing some research and I am going with a Noco 2 bank. Do you recommend the 5 amp. or the 10 amp. for a dual battery system. Don't need an overnight charge, just more of a maintenance thing. Thanks

27 mins ago, horsefly said:

I have been doing some research and I am going with a Noco 2 bank. Do you recommend the 5 amp. or the 10 amp. for a dual battery system. Don't need an overnight charge, just more of a maintenance thing. Thanks

Is this for the tin boat, or another rig?  I ask because I run a 2 bank 10/5 amp.  This allows me to bait up and run the livewell overnight without the worry of running the battery down.  Something to consider if applicable

It is for my 20' CC. I have two batteries, but since I don't use it during the summer, or as much as I would like to, I wanted a charger to maintain the batteries.

I have had a ProSport on both my last two boats with no problems to speak of... now adding a Dakota to go with the Lithium I just got.... or should I say... FINALLY got...