Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew C.

Lines - bones, permit, tarpon

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

For bones and permit on a flat I use full float with a 2-3 ‘ attached weighted head. I find the floating line will be quieter and easier to pickup and reshoot, Tarpon 3-5’ of water I use full floating and a lightly weight fly as most of my presentations are trying mimic baitfish in the upper zone stripped fast. :rav:

Sorry, I’m looking for a specific line rec. I’m expecting to use full float. 

Both rio and sa have numerous different lines that would probably ‘work’. I’m just trying to see if anyone has any specific favorites. 

I have only ever used a “regular” floater like a Sci angler Mastery GPX. No complaints, never felt like I was missing out on something. 

I kind of find the specialty tropic lines to be a money grab. 

I am pretty happy with RIOs Flat Master Pro.  Used them last month in the Bahamas and have use them anytime I am lucky enough to flats fish.  It comes in several configurations. Floating, 5' clear tip , 15 clear tip and full intermediate.  

I am by no means a bonefish , permit , tarpon expert not even close.  I use the floater for bonefish and the 5' clear tip for permit.  

The last couple of weeks I have had the 15' clear tip on my albie sticks as the water has been between 75 and 78 degrees. 

I use the Monic Henley phantom tip for just about everything these days, but habitat and personal preference would be the only reason to choose one line over the next. What works for me isn't necessarily the answer for the next guy. I also like the Rio technical tarpon and SA infinity taper, but the Monic alleviates the need for a 12' leader when targeting heavily pressured fish, which makes life easier for me on the rare occasions that I choose to participate in the circus that takes place down south in May.

3 hours ago, Drew C. said:

I’ve used Monic lines in the past. I’ve liked what I’ve used in the past from them. 

I didn't, and then I did. When they came out with the Genesis Clear I had to give them a second look. I can't stand the Cortland liquid crystal, my desperation to find an alternative led me to the new Monic lines. I've been happy, but clear lines are clear lines. From a performance standpoint, they all kinda suck.

rio direct core flats pro and sa amp grand slam (smooth and textured) are my favorite flats lines.  i havent tried the rio elite flats pro line yet but have used the dc version for a while and think its great.  personally prefer those tapers vs the bonefish tapers as it allows me to throw larger flies and handles windier conditions better.

Depends on where.  In the Keys (where I do 95% of my fishing for those 3 fish, I primarily use a clear line, I went back and forth between Cortland Liquid Crystal and Monic's clear lines.  The Cortland is more clear but the Monic has, for me, a much better taper.  With the current generation, I like the Monic Phantom, I think it's a great line (but reiterating what Local66 said, clear lines are never going to cast quite as well as regular lines).  If it's a super windy day (which makes it very hard to track a fly visually and the line is impossible to track if it's a clear line) I go to a regular Rio Tarpon line.  Sometimes I will use a Rio Bonefish line but that's pretty rare - since it's so windy most of the spring in the Keys, I use a tarpon line from 9 to 12 wt .  If I'm on the west coast I don't bother with a clear.

Check out the Angling Company Balanced Taper.  It’s a half heavy longer head constructed with the previous RIO Direct Core materials.  

I used it in 10 on a Proaxis and liked it for my first time jumping baby tarpon.  I ordered it in 7/9/10 and plan to use it for summer striper floating work and tropics trips.

They have a substantial write up on TAC website.  If you ever need more info Kat or Nat can fill you in if you give them a call.

I used to stress myself out with gear combos all day.  Trying to match things up perfectly.  I finally decided to exactly copy a top performers outfit and take the rest of my energy to improve my cast.