Carrot

Century weapon or century weapon jr mag

Rate this topic

111 posts in this topic

I am looking for a new striped bass setup. I have narrowed it down to two options. The century weapon jr mag and the century weapon. If anyone has these rods let me know how you like them. Also what’s the main difference between these two rods. 

I have both the Mag tapers.  Excellent rods.  Great casting, plenty of power for fighting fish.

I have also casted the 8' weapon jr. very very smooth on the cast, a little less power in the butt section but it will not be an issue.

Cant go wrong with these rods, a whole new concept in light weight rods.

Charlie

23 mins ago, cjmarti3 said:

I have both the Mag tapers.  Excellent rods.  Great casting, plenty of power for fighting fish.

I have also casted the 8' weapon jr. very very smooth on the cast, a little less power in the butt section but it will not be an issue.

Cant go wrong with these rods, a whole new concept in light weight rods.

Charlie

Hey thanks for replying. Can the jr mag handle big striped bass. 

Absolutely.

Fight a fish using the butt section of the rod, not the tip section.

Point the rod tip directly at the fish, then raise the rod about 30 deg. and repeat.

Usually the rod is not the limiting factor.  Line strength usually is.

Charlie

29 mins ago, cjmarti3 said:

Absolutely.

Fight a fish using the butt section of the rod, not the tip section.

Point the rod tip directly at the fish, then raise the rod about 30 deg. and repeat.

Usually the rod is not the limiting factor.  Line strength usually is.

Charlie

Thanks. Sounds like a great rod.

i am very interested in this also........ i am going to have one of these rods made so if @AFMike has a minute, wondering if he could give us this breakdown on the two and what the differences are.  Looking for an 8-9 footer to use out front to compliment my SME which i L-O-V-E !!

I was interested in these two rods too. Weapon rated 1/2 to 2 1/2 oz with fast action. Weapon jr mag rated 1/4 to 2 oz with extra fast action. I think “mag” has extra graphene running up the blank, not sure how the extra graphene affects the blank. I think it changes the action and increases the lure rating of the standard jr. I would would ask AF Mike for more precise details on that. 

19 hours ago, Carrot said:

I am looking for a new striped bass setup. I have narrowed it down to two options. The century weapon jr mag and the century weapon. If anyone has these rods let me know how you like them. Also what’s the main difference between these two rods. 

Carrot, where are you located.

The Weapon is a very powerful blank. The top 20" or so of the blank is fiberglass run with a structural resin. Basically giving you the durability of glass but with  higher performance .

Run with graphene and textreme.  It's rated 3/8 - 3 oz. The glass tip allows it to throw non aerodynamic plugs better. Blank is mod-fast.

The Mag Taper was born out of the Weapon Jr.  We created a new mandrel bumping out the butt to a little larger diameter making it a faster taper.  It's rated 1/4-3oz. It's a faster action blank, not quite as powerful as the Weapon.  

Anyone that can meet up in NJ I'd be more than happy bring them both for you to try out.

7 mins ago, AFMike said:

The Weapon is a very powerful blank. The top 20" or so of the blank is fiberglass run with a structural resin. Basically giving you the durability of glass but with  higher performance .

Run with graphene and textreme.  It's rated 3/8 - 3 oz. The glass tip allows it to throw non aerodynamic plugs better. Blank is mod-fast.

The Mag Taper was born out of the Weapon Jr.  We created a new mandrel bumping out the butt to a little larger diameter making it a faster taper.  It's rated 1/4-3oz. It's a faster action blank, not quite as powerful as the Weapon.  

Which rod is better for Snook, Cudas, Jacks, Tarpons…

The Weapon and Mag Jr both handle up to 3 oz. but which throws smaller lures further…soft plastics, small buck tails, etc. 

which rod do you feel is more versatile? 

Just now, Fishing & Hunting said:

Which rod is better for Snook, Cudas, Jacks, Tarpons…

The Weapon and Mag Jr both handle up to 3 oz. but which throws smaller lures further…soft plastics, small buck tails, etc. 

which rod do you feel is more versatile? 

The Weapon would be my choice,  it has more power.  It has more low end power to pull a big snook out of the Mangroves. It will throw a 1/4 lead head with rubber but not great. 

The Mag Taper throws that lower end better and farther and it has power for sure but the Weapon is definitely more powerful.  

Lol, it's a tough call because both will do the job but the Weapon is definitely bringing more power to the table.

26 mins ago, AFMike said:

The Weapon would be my choice,  it has more power.  It has more low end power to pull a big snook out of the Mangroves. It will throw a 1/4 lead head with rubber but not great. 

The Mag Taper throws that lower end better and farther and it has power for sure but the Weapon is definitely more powerful.  

Lol, it's a tough call because both will do the job but the Weapon is definitely bringing more power to the table.

Thanks for your input!

Much appreciated!

34 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

Mike-

Which is the lighter blank of the three models?

The Weapon Jr is the lightest at 1/4 - 1.75oz, both the Mag Taper and Weapon throw the same wt range, as far as blank wt the Mag Taper is lighter than the Weapon