Skunkoff

Measure by photo

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

So I caught a striper, put it on the measuring board, and took a picture.  Then released it.  Later I looked at the photo again and I didn't have my measuring board extended all the way.  Doh!

Question: is there a phone app that can measure a fish (or any object) from a photo?

Not to derail from the app suggestions but can't you just measure the length of the fixed portion of the bumper board and then add what looks to be about 6 inches ? (looks like 23-29 on the end). If you need to verify for a bet just take another picture with the bumper board and a tape measure. 

8 mins ago, Skunkoff said:

I suppose I can but if there's some digital help to mitigate most of the estimations, I'd like that.

There is free web calculators that can do it if you have enough information about your camera but its not going to be accurate for your photo because the object is not in perfect horizontal or vertical plane relative to the camera. (if you remember foreshortening from art class, if you are trying to measure a foreshortened line based on an angle it completely complicates the math). If you want to measure a perfectly horizontal or vertical line that's dead on from your camera it will be like 99% accurate.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It’s almost exactly 25” to the top tip of the tail assuming you call his lips touching the end of the board. From the pic it looks like there is space there where the fish is not flush to the end. The front portion of the board ends at 19”, you can see that in the photo, and there is 6 additional inches based on just on the markings shown. Not gonna get anymore accurate than that. I personally would say 24.5” due to the space at the front. 

Edited by Fishjerk
Mathematical correction

20 mins ago, JerseyJeb said:

There is free web calculators that can do it if you have enough information about your camera but its not going to be accurate for your photo because the object is not in perfect horizontal or vertical plane relative to the camera. (if you remember foreshortening from art class, if you are trying to measure a foreshortened line based on an angle it completely complicates the math). If you want to measure a perfectly horizontal or vertical line that's dead on from your camera it will be like 99% accurate.

Good info.  Not sure what there was out there for measuring apps.

8 mins ago, Fishjerk said:

It’s almost exactly 24” to the top tip of the tail assuming you call his lips touching the end of the board. From the pic it looks like there is space there where the fish is not flush to the end. The front portion of the board ends at 19”, you can see that in the photo, and there is five additional inches based on just on the markings shown. Not gonna get anymore accurate than that. I personally would say 23.5” due to the space at the front. 

The tough part is the space between the 19 and 23.  I'm pretty sure the bottom lip was touching the bump, it definitely isn't the best picture with my hand in the way.  Oh well, thanks to all.  I'll figure it out.

By the way, yeah it's a small fish but it's close with the guys I'm up against (none of us got much for size this season).  

Here’s an idea: Wisdom of the crowd. Everyone guesses the size and you take the median. I think they’ve done this with crowds guessing the weight of a cow and the median came out to be within 1% accurate.