JRT

Sink-tip lines for jetties/groynes?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

There is a spot I fish with rock groynes that drop off into 10-15ft of water. Fishing full sinking heads result in losing most flies in the rocks at your feet at the base of the groyne as the line simply drags the fly into them. I'm thinking of using a sink-tip line like the SA Titan Sink Tip which has a 15ft type 6 tip to a floating belly. Do you think this will help but still let me get down further than an Intermediate etc? 

when you say "full sinking heads", it indicates you are fishing with a floating or intermediate running line, with a sinking tip/head, which would be considered a sinking tip line?  or are you fishing with a full, dark colored sinking line?

for close to rocky shores or jetties i have been using the rio striper sink tip line which has worked very well.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m fishing sinking head lines - 30ft sinking heads like the Airflo Sniper and Rio Outbound shorts.

By sink tip I mean shorter sinking tip (10-15ft) to a floating belly and running line. 

Edited by JRT

A 15ft sink tip won't get you near 10/15ft depth unless you can count it down before starting your retrieve, inlet currents usually don't allow that without losing touch with the fly, and it will start climbing immediately when you start the retrieve. Best I've found, don't know if they still make them, Cortland 444QD...24ft sink head with a thin intermediate running line. Easier to unplug than a full length head. I make sure to drop a little in grain wt...ie my 10wt usually fishes with 425gn lines, I'll use 375gn for the sink head so i can roll cast or with a high wide sweep unplug most of it into a backcast. Lost alot less flies by dropping the grain wt. Think a little longer mono leader also to float the fly a bit...7 or 7 1/2ft works best for me. Even if that works check your fly frequently to be sure you didn't dull the point, or worse break it off...happens alot. 

21 hours ago, JRT said:

There is a spot I fish with rock groynes that drop off into 10-15ft of water. Fishing full sinking heads result in losing most flies in the rocks at your feet at the base of the groyne as the line simply drags the fly into them. I'm thinking of using a sink-tip line like the SA Titan Sink Tip which has a 15ft type 6 tip to a floating belly. Do you think this will help but still let me get down further than an Intermediate etc? 

Off of any jetty along the striper coast, I would find some churning white where I would throw a White Water Witch on the backside of a breaking wave. Just hold on for the hook up as stripers will dart up from the depths and nail the hapless bait.

We don’t need no stinking fast sinking depth charge fly lines. A clear intermediate line will do just fine thank you.

Hope this helps. Catch a big one!

36 mins ago, KironaFly said:

Off of any jetty along the striper coast, I would find some churning white where I would throw a White Water Witch on the backside of a breaking wave. Just hold on for the hook up as stripers will dart up from the depths and nail the hapless bait.

We don’t need no stinking fast sinking depth charge fly lines. A clear intermediate line will do just fine thank you.

Hope this helps. Catch a big one!

Strongly disagree Tony...when jetty fishing the biggest stripers are almost always in the deepest water. Clear intermediate when jetty fishing is no better than a full floater with a jiggy or clouser tied to the end of the leader. YMMV, just my observation.

To clarify I use intermediates now and they work but take a long time to get the fly down. I can use 30ft Type7 heads to get down but these tend to drag the fly into the rocks at the bottom of the groyne/jetty at the end of the retrieve. I'm not using a fast retrieve just a steady sink and draw with a good pause so the idea was to use the sink tip so would this be deeper than an intermediate and I'm guessing less chance of fouling in the rocks each time?

If you can find one, an older version of the Rio Versi-tip line is very well...versatile for these situations.  The sink tips that come with the line are 15ft long.  Also the head floats very well, especially in saltwater.  Used to be able to pick these up for under $80 a set.  The advantage here is also that you get multiple sink tips, an int tip, and even a floater.  Can easily switch out the 15ft tips to match conditions.  The use of a longer leader might help as well when using the int or floating tip.  With the heavier tips a 4ft leader is all you need.

The downside of this is the loop to loop connection going through the guides, but at 15ft away, you can sweep the tip portion out of the way or into a short roll cast, keeping the main running line out of the rocks.  The thin running line is actually one of my favorites on this older line.  It holds up better than any of the newer Rio runners, IMO.  But the running line will crack eventually.  At that point, I simply create a new runner from an older weight forward line. 

These same 15ft tips can also be used on the Wulff Ambush lines or on Floating or Intermediate Skagit heads, but you have to  do some basic math to figure out the balance.  Wulff Ambush lines float really high, and are great because the head acts like a strike indicator.  Need to use a stripping basket for the thin running lines these come with.  The really thin runners are not as durable as the old version Rio Versatip runners.

Edited by Killiefish

On 10/16/2021 at 1:38 PM, JRT said:

I haven't tried the Titan but it should work similarly to what I've described with the older Versatip system.  Assume that's an integrated line.  15ft tips are perfect for this application (given the depths of water you describe).  IMO a 24ft or 30ft sink tip would foul more and not be much fun. 

14 hours ago, Killiefish said:

If you can find one, an older version of the Rio Versi-tip line is very well...versatile for these situations.  The sink tips that come with the line are 15ft long.  Also the head floats very well, especially in saltwater.  Used to be able to pick these up for under $80 a set.  The advantage here is also that you get multiple sink tips, an int tip, and even a floater.  Can easily switch out the 15ft tips to match conditions.  The use of a longer leader might help as well when using the int or floating tip.  With the heavier tips a 4ft leader is all you need.

The downside of this is the loop to loop connection going through the guides, but at 15ft away, you can sweep the tip portion out of the way or into a short roll cast, keeping the main running line out of the rocks.  The thin running line is actually one of my favorites on this older line.  It holds up better than any of the newer Rio runners, IMO.  But the running line will crack eventually.  At that point, I simply create a new runner from an older weight forward line. 

These same 15ft tips can also be used on the Wulff Ambush lines or on Floating or Intermediate Skagit heads, but you have to  do some basic math to figure out the balance.  Wulff Ambush lines float really high, and are great because the head acts like a strike indicator.  Need to use a stripping basket for the thin running lines these come with.  The really thin runners are not as durable as the old version Rio Versatip runners.

@Killiefish - great minds think alike! Yesterday I customised an older Outbound Short Intermediate (the full intermediate one) into a versitip similar to the old Rio Striper Versitip and Airflo Striper Multitip lines. Basically, I weighed the front 12ft (10grams) then cut it off and fitted 50lb braided loops to both ends. Then using old spare Type3 and Type6 shooting heads I made up 10gram tips around the 12ft in length.  I think this could work well if they cast ok. - not that sinktips cast nicely anyway. The difference in thickness between the intermediate belly and Type3 head is not much at all. The Type6 is a lot thinner so we will see how that works out? I went for 12ft tips so I can keep the loop join out of the guides in most of the time. But I think this will still get down that few extra feet. I'm hoping that this line will cover most of the depths just by changing the tips. I will let you know how I get on. It could be a while as we have 10 days of stormy conditions now :( 

Edited by JRT

On 10/17/2021 at 3:09 PM, surfrat59 said:

Strongly disagree Tony...when jetty fishing the biggest stripers are almost always in the deepest water. Clear intermediate when jetty fishing is no better than a full floater with a jiggy or clouser tied to the end of the leader. YMMV, just my observation.

The scenario outlined in this thread ... and my response ... is exactly how I would fly fish, particularly in the fall.

Years ago atop some well known rocks in Rhode Island (out front as they say), I fly fished to breaking waves along rock walls defining a very deep channel. I made an all-star cast of a Rhody Flat-wing Mackerel pattern to receding wash 30+ yards away. The largest Striper I ever hooked took that Flat-wing and sounded / sulked deep. Sadly for me I eventually lost the fish with a break off I caused (more or less).

IMG_6182.jpeg.bd304467d75423e84ae8cb21f426e652.jpeg

In that same spot 2 years prior I hooked a large using a shallow running Rebel Windcheater plug in green Mackerel. That cow just bent the puny treble hook and swam off like it had never been pinned.

IMG_6183.jpeg.e75db79455ac2b5282ebad3244e8a721.jpeg

So for me ... based on bitter experience ... you don't always need to go deep for bigger fish, particularly when structure is around. From a boat... yeah I would fish fast sinking lines. But off rocky shores .... it being October and all ... I'd fish a White Water Witch (or Flat Wing or Surf Candy) up top along the back of breaking waves. Just my way of doing things.

Cut the fore belly off a braided core level fly  line. Attach a piece of T-7 to it. 
Two ways to do this. Most folks whip a loop in the end of the level running line. 
Ive seen a couple folks use a double needle nail knot using 20 lb. mono. One needle nail in the level line. A second in the T-7. Then cover it with UV Knot sense. 

Edited by Linesidesonthefly

On 19/10/2021 at 8:43 PM, Killiefish said:

LOL.  That's the beauty of the versi-tip system.  Can actually test which presentation method works best.

Out on the grass today and the setup cast really well. There is not a real difference between the inter and type3 when casting. I can get the whole line out with both. The type6 is dumpy but gets out. I think the difference in line diameters is the issue. But I can live with it. Weather window on saturday so we will see how they perform.

On 10/18/2021 at 3:16 AM, JRT said:

To clarify I use intermediates now and they work but take a long time to get the fly down. I can use 30ft Type7 heads to get down but these tend to drag the fly into the rocks at the bottom of the groyne/jetty at the end of the retrieve. I'm not using a fast retrieve just a steady sink and draw with a good pause so the idea was to use the sink tip so would this be deeper than an intermediate and I'm guessing less chance of fouling in the rocks each time?

Hi JRT, what kind of leader are you using on your full sinking lines?