Local66

Blank ID, something old and strange.

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

First, I know how absurd these blank ID posts are, but I'm thinking this one is strange enough that I might actually get some good info. I lost one of my favorite customers about 2 years ago, and had a pair of his old rods fall in my lap recently. One of them was very, very strange, and I was hoping you guys might have some idea of the manufacturer. I wasn't thrilled to have it at first. It had a #50 stripper on it, and a 14" rear grip. Whoever built it had some very strange ideas on how to build a surf rod. I stripped it down, hoping to find some identifying marks of some kind, but no such luck. It's a 10'6" 2pc(50/50), with a clear gloss finish. The weird part is it's a fast action blank with a diameter just a hair bigger than my 10' vapor trail, and comparable in weight. Guessing by the condition of the EVA and the fact that the guides on it haven't been available for 25 years, I'm at a loss. This customer never bought the second best of anything, so I'm really curious. I know my blanks, but this one is an enigma.

Fast and XF rods have been around forever, and were made from all the rod building materials. I have some X fast 8 1/2 ft LCI rods that are 40+ years old, a 50 ring guide wasn't particularly large back then. Good luck with your search.

1 hour ago, spoonplugger1 said:

Fast and XF rods have been around forever, and were made from all the rod building materials. I have some X fast 8 1/2 ft LCI rods that are 40+ years old, a 50 ring guide wasn't particularly large back then. Good luck with your search.

The diameter is the blanks most distinguishing characteristic. The Fuji guides with the glow in the dark inserts might help date the build, I don't think they were in production long. I have plenty of older rods and blanks, and they're all large diameter with thin walls. Nothing like this.

Take some pictures that show the blanks true color and include one of the furrell. Include measurements of the Tip and Butt diameters. With any luck someone will identify it. Wildly used were Harnell-Fenwick-Lamiglass-J Kennedy Fisher. Chances are it will be one of these.

19 hours ago, XBMX said:

Take some pictures that show the blanks true color and include one of the furrell. Include measurements of the Tip and Butt diameters. With any luck someone will identify it. Wildly used were Harnell-Fenwick-Lamiglass-J Kennedy Fisher. Chances are it will be one of these.

19 hours ago, XBMX said:

The true color is clear gloss over graphite, as generic as it comes. 10'6" blank, .594 at the butt, .40 at the female ferrule with a #6 tip. And it definitely isn't any of the blanks you mentioned. Possibly an early Century, or an All-star since I'm not familiar with either. I know sage briefly made surf blanks with similar dimensions, but they were dark blue.

12 hours ago, spoonplugger1 said:

Those dimensions could also be a salmon/steelhead blank easily.

Knowing the guy who had it built, it's more likely to be a carp blank, or maybe a centerpin. I don't think there's any way to really know for sure, but I'm certain I'll have fun fishing with it. 

Pictures of the end of the blank, ferrule and part one of the sections would definitely help.  Some manufacturers have ferrules with a distinct appearance.  The configuration (tip over butt or spigot) may help.  Most likely the blank is a salmon, steelhead, or centerpin.  These blanks tended to be small diameter (around .6 inch) and thick walled.  Back in the 80's and 90's there were a bunch companies that made these types of blanks.