Spigola

Treble hook VS single hook on Epoxy jig?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Don't know if it's just me but does any one else notice a much lower hook up ratio when using a single hook instead of a treble hook on an epoxy jig?

I also felt that fish were able to toss the jig easier with a single hook.

Input please. 

Just now, Spigola said:

Don't know if it's just me but does any one else notice a much lower hook up ratio when using a single hook instead of a treble hook on an epoxy jig?

I also felt that fish were able to toss the jig easier with a single hook.

Input please. 

Throw the singles out.  I use size 1 or size 2 vmc 4x trebles 

The last really good albie year was 2018 for me. Caught a bunch but they were getting tore up with the trebles, so I switched out to singles, and yes, I had more lost fish, but there were so many I didnt care. 

This year, had 2 on for 3 seconds each time and they threw the hook.  

Think I'm gonna go back to trebles since they are so rare these days. 

The main issue with trebles is the release, no doubt they hold better, longer and with up to 3x as many points of contact. I even fish trebles fishing freshwater livelining killies for pickerel on a small treble.

Most of the folks wanting single hook and barbless are more concerned with the fishes mortality or even comfort level, not necessarily the wrong approach unless your hungry and fishing for real, like for food.

And then there are some of us old schoolers that it takes long lessons and many reminders that landing every hook up isn't important, honestly I don't care if a small bass or blue shakes itself loose, long handed releases I call them, saves me the trouble of unbuttoning them. 

However, when fish get some shoulders, it becomes a bit more of a test/challenge and it don't count as a catch unless its in your hands or on dry land/rocks. For those, they may need dental work afterwards but I don't let any escape if I can put the blocks to them. They get to escape when I release them, sounds cruel but its fishing. Like anything, practice losing fish and you'll get better at it. I like to practice putting them on the sand.

When I crush barbs or use singles where trebles belong (swimmers) I lose more than I wish to, so I don't worry about killing a few more than need to go to their demise by using trebles and keeping all my hooks sharp. Too bad, they get a face full of hooks and maybe a club to the noggin, thats what fishing is, it can't all be humane and righteous.

Don't let the do gooders make you feel like your a bad sportsman for using the right gear for the task, its ok to kill fish under the right circumstances. 

I'd use razor blades if they were effective.

Had a couple days earlier this yr with Spanish mackerel where I had a single hook and a buddy had a treble. My hookup ratio was 1/4 to his treble. I was losing 4 fish on 1 cast. We were not using epoxy lures. But still there was a noticeable decrease 

17 hours ago, Danny1199 said:

The last really good albie year was 2018 for me. Caught a bunch but they were getting tore up with the trebles, so I switched out to singles, and yes, I had more lost fish, but there were so many I didnt care. 

This year, had 2 on for 3 seconds each time and they threw the hook.  

Think I'm gonna go back to trebles since they are so rare these days. 

Thats exactly why i switched back. I always keep an epoxy with a single on it. But im always throwing out trebles. This will be year three with no albies for me

On 10/16/2021 at 11:48 PM, Highlander1 said:

Don't let the do gooders make you feel like your a bad sportsman for using the right gear for the task, its ok to kill fish under the right circumstances. 

I'd use razor blades if they were effective.

It is okay to kill fish under the right circumstances.  Problem is we don't select which fish bites.  You get to fish the way you want, but I do "worry about killing a few more..." 

I've been surf fishing for 45+ years.  I learned from the old-schoolers that killed EVERYTHING hooked.  They had 15ft high tomato plants and freezers filled with fillets....most of which became freezer burned and got trashed.  No worries cause they would freeze more....bags got dated so trash the old stuff to make room. 

Started crushing treble barbs 25 yrs ago.  Crushing didn't decrease my catch rate and made releases easier, but still mangle fish.  I'm now in my third season treble free.  Do I miss a few fish.....yup.

Even as a boy I felt the "old-school sharpie" attitude toward the resource was wrong.  When I was old enough to get to the beach myself I developed my own methods based on respect for the resources.  My methods will continue to evolve with respect paramount.  

Not sure how I should be described...."do gooder", "tree hugger", "granola muncher...."   Maybe I'm all good if I fish with respect for the resource, but don't say anything to those who disrespect it?  That leads to another question:  A 19 year old kid who has been fishing with our group never fished before.  When he asks for advice what do I say to him? 

On 10/19/2021 at 0:45 PM, Frede said:

It is okay to kill fish under the right circumstances.  Problem is we don't select which fish bites.  You get to fish the way you want, but I do "worry about killing a few more..." 

I've been surf fishing for 45+ years.  I learned from the old-schoolers that killed EVERYTHING hooked.  They had 15ft high tomato plants and freezers filled with fillets....most of which became freezer burned and got trashed.  No worries cause they would freeze more....bags got dated so trash the old stuff to make room. 

Started crushing treble barbs 25 yrs ago.  Crushing didn't decrease my catch rate and made releases easier, but still mangle fish.  I'm now in my third season treble free.  Do I miss a few fish.....yup.

Even as a boy I felt the "old-school sharpie" attitude toward the resource was wrong.  When I was old enough to get to the beach myself I developed my own methods based on respect for the resources.  My methods will continue to evolve with respect paramount.  

Not sure how I should be described...."do gooder", "tree hugger", "granola muncher...."   Maybe I'm all good if I fish with respect for the resource, but don't say anything to those who disrespect it?  That leads to another question:  A 19 year old kid who has been fishing with our group never fished before.  When he asks for advice what do I say to him? 

Keep your line tight. 

In all honesty I never used lures often I’m just starting to try them. I fish down south in NJ on wide open sandy beaches and normally catch Stripers using bait, I used circle hooks way before it was a regulation. Trebles were always on small metals and spoons for blues and yes I noticed over time they could mangle the fish, between the hooks and their teeth it was a pain to release them if I wasn’t planning on keeping any. In my mind it comes down to how often you get out there, if you’re one of these guys that has a chance to get out almost daily and you catch a fair amount of fish then maybe it’s not a bad idea to crush the barbs or switch to singles. If you’re like me and you only get free a few times  a month throughout the season then I’d be less inclined to improve the fishes chances of getting away from me. 

41 mins ago, Frede said:

Yup it's pretty easy.

I dunno if you've hooked albies, but when they come straight at you it's pretty tough to keep the line tight lol

5 hours ago, Mmart said:

In all honesty I never used lures often I’m just starting to try them. I fish down south in NJ on wide open sandy beaches and normally catch Stripers using bait, I used circle hooks way before it was a regulation. Trebles were always on small metals and spoons for blues and yes I noticed over time they could mangle the fish, between the hooks and their teeth it was a pain to release them if I wasn’t planning on keeping any. In my mind it comes down to how often you get out there, if you’re one of these guys that has a chance to get out almost daily and you catch a fair amount of fish then maybe it’s not a bad idea to crush the barbs or switch to singles. If you’re like me and you only get free a few times  a month throughout the season then I’d be less inclined to improve the fishes chances of getting away from me. 

Your point is valid.  As I said, I fish with inline hooks and I do miss some fish. 

My experience with barbless trebles was different. I didn't miss fish, nor did they pop off.  I kept my line tight which I do anyway. 

By 'my experience' I mean decades of catching hundreds of bass while fishing next to guys using barbed trebles.  I was never out-fished and probably caught more as releases were much easier.

It's something you're going the have to prove to yourself if you are so inclined.  

1 hour ago, Frede said:

Your point is valid.  As I said, I fish with inline hooks and I do miss some fish. 

My experience with barbless trebles was different. I didn't miss fish, nor did they pop off.  I kept my line tight which I do anyway. 

By 'my experience' I mean decades of catching hundreds of bass while fishing next to guys using barbed trebles.  I was never out-fished and probably caught more as releases were much easier.

It's something you're going the have to prove to yourself if you are so inclined.  

I can certainly agree with that, I’m planning on trying them more. I actually picked up a pair of split ring pliers today. I wanted to swap inline hooks on a few and leave a few with the trebles. 
I just need the fish to cooperate, I was out this past Tuesday and could see so many birds hitting the water but they were just to far to reach from shore. 

40 mins ago, Mmart said:

I can certainly agree with that, I’m planning on trying them more. I actually picked up a pair of split ring pliers today. I wanted to swap inline hooks on a few and leave a few with the trebles. 
I just need the fish to cooperate, I was out this past Tuesday and could see so many birds hitting the water but they were just to far to reach from shore. 

Remember, inline is the bigger step.  While crushing barbs on trebles is a no-brainer to me, inlines do miss fish.      

I've been using Rapala X-Rap Long cast which come stock with inline.  Caught a lot of bass on them....they swim better than an SP or Hydro with inlines.

I throw some of the bigger epoxies for stripers. Say 1oz plus. For those I swapped to vmc inlines on all. Any metal that comes with trebles for the most part too. On 1 oz and smaller, I left the trebles on for the chance at coming across albies in the suds. The only albie jigs I have with singles are those that came with...

I've caught a good amount of albies on a boat and on single hooks. But for some reason in my surfbag, I feel more confident with the trebles. Where many times for other fishing techniques boat or surf, I'm way more confident with that single hook point. 

For stripers im crushing barbs more and even swapping to singles when I can. Like above. Even though striper fishery is in the crapper, in my head I think im looking at it as more opportunity(more room for dropping fish...kinda) versus less opportunity of albies where and when I typically fish(but more hookpoints, less drag, etc to ensure I land it if/when one strikes).

We'll see if any of it matters for me anyway because I havnt put myself around many recently, LOL!