Angler #1

Final planning for Sandwich Bulkhead

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

repairs are still being worked out along the East end bulkhead according to the corp . Once the final budget is worked out , it may well be a project that is a year in the making . before it is completed .  This will, for sure, place more who fish in other areas  being impacted by to many trying to fish the canal already.  It is also noted that due to many complaints by those who use the canal this year in regards to the E3 bikes and how disrespectful some have been regarding the rules, that a discussion will occur this winter in regards to not allowing this to continue in its present form . If you feel that a change is needed or not please contact the Corp and make your wishes known.  Peace and Prayers

The new electric bike rental business (Pedego) in Buzzards Bay is not going to be too happy about this ebike usage reconsideration! I could never figure out why the ACOE defied their own long standing rule of "No motorized vehicles on the service road" in the first place?

How does the method of energy generation excuse electric motors from excessive speeds in any way? Pro type traditional bikers always went too fast too IMO, but usually at off hours and with a level of safety that e bikers aren't seemingly concerned with.

I was planning on purchasing an e bike this winter in a 'If ya can't beat em, join em' move to be more mobile. Big PAUSE on that!!! I will wait for a more long term and solid ACOE consensus before investing big bucks on an e bike.

When will this e bike discussion happen and is it open to the public?

7 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

The new electric bike rental business (Pedego) in Buzzards Bay is not going to be too happy about this ebike usage reconsideration! I could never figure out why the ACOE defied their own long standing rule of "No motorized vehicles on the service road" in the first place?

How does the method of energy generation excuse electric motors from excessive speeds in any way? Pro type traditional bikers always went too fast too IMO, but usually at off hours and with a level of safety that e bikers aren't seemingly concerned with.

I was planning on purchasing an e bike this winter in a 'If ya can't beat em, join em' move to be more mobile. Big PAUSE on that!!! I will wait for a more long term and solid ACOE consensus before investing big bucks on an e bike.

When will this e bike discussion happen and is it open to the public?

The word I got was during the winter planning meeting , when ever that may be . I also requested that I would like to speak in regards to other issues that include handicap and senior fishing situations , trash pickup , boats coming out of the marina and running the bulkheads creating conflicts where non should be.  From What i was told it may not include the other Pedal e bikes , but time will tell the full story by spring . If a public meeting is convened I will put it up here as to time andplace and date. Peace and Prayers 

The entire character and pleasure of walking and cycling on the canal has deteriorated with the advent of ebikes. Visitors and fishermen alike are racing on the service road at breakneck speed.  

The other night while returning to my car around 11pm after fishing, two fishermen came up from behind going at least 25mph. I never heard them until the last moment. 

I was talking to a guy I've known for decades, and is a recent ebike convert. He told me he loves his. By employing his smartphone coconut network with his ebike, he can get around the canal faster than if he was in his truck.  He's right. @ 25mph it's under 15 minutes from the Sag to the RR bridge.

IMO, unless you have a physical condition precluding you from a traditional peddle bike, ebikes should be banned.

3 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

repairs are still being worked out along the East end bulkhead according to the corp . Once the final budget is worked out , it may well be a project that is a year in the making . before it is completed .  This will, for sure, place more who fish in other areas  being impacted by to many trying to fish the canal already.  It is also noted that due to many complaints by those who use the canal this year in regards to the E3 bikes and how disrespectful some have been regarding the rules, that a discussion will occur this winter in regards to not allowing this to continue in its present form . If you feel that a change is needed or not please contact the Corp and make your wishes known.  Peace and Prayers

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

The word I got was during the winter planning meeting , when ever that may be . I also requested that I would like to speak in regards to other issues that include handicap and senior fishing situations , trash pickup , boats coming out of the marina and running the bulkheads creating conflicts where non should be.  From What i was told it may not include the other Pedal e bikes , but time will tell the full story by spring . If a public meeting is convened I will put it up here as to time andplace and date. Peace and Prayers 

I don't understand? :confused:

In post #1 you state "a discussion will occur as to whether ebikes will continue to be allowed"

However two hours later in post #3 you state the discussion "may not include the other pedal ebikes".

Why is the ACOE being so vague?

1 hour ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

......I could never figure out why the ACOE defied their own long standing rule of "No motorized vehicles on the service road" in the first place?

For legal purposes, I'm fairly certain that E bikes are not considered motorized vehicles.  

38 mins ago, bob_G said:

I don't understand? :confused:

In post #1 you state "a discussion will occur as to whether ebikes will continue to be allowed"

However two hours later in post #3 you state the discussion "may not include the other pedal ebikes".

Why is the ACOE being so vague?

Bob perhaps if you read what i posted you will note that I was referring to the E3 bikes which is what I posted You have E1 and E2 designations which only can go 2o miles per hour, unlike the E3 that can top out higher. Peace and prayers

14 mins ago, Joe G said:

For legal purposes, I'm fairly certain that E bikes are not considered motorized vehicles.  

Legally that may be true, but we are talking about very powerful motors that can achieve every bit of a gas scooter's speed. I don't think motorcycles and scooters are banned because of their emissions, it' s the inherent speeds that preclude them from being allowed or considered... am I right?

I already know a couple canal anglers that have  $6000 dual motor & battery e super bikes that can do 45mph! Now those classification bikes are legally still not allowed, but we all know that there is no one who regulates such minutia so the distinction is somewhat moot.

I also have seen e bikes that have the correct classification for canal eligibility and have stickers denoting the bike's official speed classification. Funny thing is, you can go into the bike's control settings and boost the speed limiter to up to 27mph! Manufacturer states that when you do that, you should peel the lower class sticker off and the higher class sticker is underneath. I'm sure nobody would peel that sticker...ever! This ensures high speed ability with the necessary markings identifying low speed assist in the off chance anyone ever checks. 

Short of speed traps for electric and non electric bikes (like that is ever going to happen), there is no controlling speeding bikes. Allowing electric motors on the service rd for whatever legal reasoning, was ill advised IMHO. The genie is out of the bottle now, good luck stuffing that angry genie back in. :waiting:

2 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Bob perhaps if you read what i posted you will note that I was referring to the E3 bikes which is what I posted You have E1 and E2 designations which only can go 2o miles per hour, unlike the E3 that can top out higher. Peace and prayers

I gave no idea as to the different classifications of such bikes. E1,E2, E3? 

So if I'm reading it correctly, one such bike goes  20mph, the rest go much faster? I'm assuming the peddle assisted are the slower of the three?

I've seen a lot of ebikes this summer. My observations:

1. No one is peddling anything. They're all in full time electric mode.

2. Most seem to be going faster than the fastest classic peddle bike.

3. The new generation of three wheeler ebikes are almost the size of golf carts, esp when they town a trailer. 

4 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Legally that may be true, but we are talking about very powerful motors that can achieve every bit of a gas scooter's speed. I don't think motorcycles and scooters are banned because of their emissions, it' s the inherent speeds that preclude them from being allowed or considered... am I right?

I already know a couple canal anglers that have  $6000 dual motor & battery e super bikes that can do 45mph! Now those classification bikes are legally still not allowed, but we all know that there is no one who regulates such minutia so the distinction is somewhat moot.

I also have seen e bikes that have the correct classification for canal eligibility and have stickers denoting the bike's official speed classification. Funny thing is, you can go into the bike's control settings and boost the speed limiter to up to 27mph! Manufacturer states that when you do that, you should peel the lower class sticker off and the higher class sticker is underneath. I'm sure nobody would peel that sticker...ever! This ensures high speed ability with the necessary markings identifying low speed assist in the off chance anyone ever checks. 

Short of speed traps for electric and non electric bikes (like that is ever going to happen), there is no controlling speeding bikes. Allowing electric motors on the service rd for whatever legal reasoning, was ill advised IMHO. The genie is out of the bottle now, good luck stuffing that angry genie back in. :waiting:

Some of the discussion and regulations started with the federal parks and that is how the Corp got into the business of allowing with out the forethought of what you posted above being carried out with some enforcement policy attached to it. Peace and Prayers

4 mins ago, bob_G said:

I gave no idea as to the different classifications of such bikes. E1,E2, E3? 

So if I'm reading it correctly, one such bike goes  20mph, the rest go much faster? I'm assuming the peddle assisted are the slower of the three?

I've seen a lot of ebikes this summer. My observations:

1. No one is peddling anything. They're all in full time electric mode.

2. Most seem to be going faster than the fastest classic peddle bike.

3. The new generation of three wheeler ebikes are almost the size of golf carts, esp when they town a trailer. 

E1 and E2 are peddle assist with the 20 mile an hour and 750 cc motor it should be? If I read the classifications correctly. It is the E3 that some have modified to all electric or it comes that way to make it go faster. All riders need to wear helmets . You do not want to be hit by one of those going that fast, it will leave some nasty scars. From What I was told that is a reason they will be goung through if changes will be made for next year . They do not like to go to court in lawsuits. Peace and Prayers

2 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

A fisherman having a 6k bike? 

It really doesn’t matter what rules they come up with for E bikes. No one is going to enforce the rules anyways. You could probably ride a Harley down the path and no one would do anything to stop you. 

6 hours ago, bob_G said:

The entire character and pleasure of walking and cycling on the canal has deteriorated with the advent of ebikes. Visitors and fishermen alike are racing on the service road at breakneck speed.  

The other night while returning to my car around 11pm after fishing, two fishermen came up from behind going at least 25mph. I never heard them until the last moment. 

I was talking to a guy I've known for decades, and is a recent ebike convert. He told me he loves his. By employing his smartphone coconut network with his ebike, he can get around the canal faster than if he was in his truck.  He's right. @ 25mph it's under 15 minutes from the Sag to the RR bridge.

IMO, unless you have a physical condition precluding you from a traditional peddle bike, ebikes should be banned.

If you need an ebike to travel the service road you can't climb down the rocks to fish. In MOST places. Should be no power on the Canal never mind classifications of how fast the bikes can go. The few places with easy access are within walking distance. MM, fish pier, bulkhead etc. Not too many but that is the Canal.