jjdbike

Doin a Wagyu Brisket

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I know, too much $$$. OCD, the struggle is real. I wanna see how good it can be.

I ordered a 14 - 16 lb Snake River Farms Gold grade packer. I sure hope it fits on my BGE). It should arrive today. Has till Friday to thaw in 34 degree fridge. 

Friday evening I will trim and inject w/ Minor's beef base & au jus. O'Dark 30 Sat I'll get out of fridge to bring up temp, rub (gonna make my own w/ SPG, onion granuals, paprika and some chili powder) and start fire. Jealous Devil high quality natural lump charcoal and roughly 6 chunks of hickory. I wish I had some oak.

Doing a highbred plan between Aaron Franklin and Myron Mixon.

I'm planning on starting around 255 and allow temp to gradually rise to 275. Around 3 hours in I'll check to see if bark is set and start spritzing w/ stock and brown sugar. At 160 internal temp I'll pan w/ some stock & au jus, spritz, cover tightly and into 300 degree oven till 200 - probe tender. Then into prewired cooler wrapped in towels for 2 - 4 hours depending on how long cook takes.

I'll update this thread w/ pics and details. 

Here's a question for the experienced.... How long would you estimate this cook will take from start to finish?

Best regards!

JD

Sounds like a lot of work and paying attention to small details for a long day. I'd guess a piece of meat like that would be around a $500 bill? I know brisket is difficult under normal conditions, having this as a project adds the pressure of perfection being required.

Wishing you success and satisfaction, both deserved. 

I enjoy both Myron Mixon because he's hilarious and Aaron Franklin because he absolutely geeks out. Can totally relate to his attention to detail. I'll be he's OCD.  In his "Master Class" on brisket prep & trim, as he is cutting the fat kernel between the point and flat, he says he leaves 1/2 of it to "maintain stratal integrity". I wonder why that's important? I'd rather cut it out before the cook, than when I slicing it.

JD

Just now, Highlander1 said:

Sounds like a lot of work and paying attention to small details for a long day. I'd guess a piece of meat like that would be around a $500 bill? I know brisket is difficult under normal conditions, having this as a project adds the pressure of perfection being required.

Wishing you success and satisfaction, both deserved. 

Thank bud,,

Nah, not $500, $200.

JD

My son bought me chunk ( 2" x 2") for $47, I think it was $200 a pound at Wegmans, straight from Japan, delicious but I'd hate buy a steak. $200 is still a lot of $$ for a piece of meat but I understand the need. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Surf bomber said:

Steve raichion had a video on u tube smoking a brisket … have fun 

Yes thanks.

"Brisket is the Mount Everest of barbecue". "Taste the struggle". Steve Ruichion

Edited by jjdbike

Good luck Jim... I have nothing to add, as I do it lower and slower... Mostly because of laziness... I can't wit to see the great piece of finished meat...

Butch

5 mins ago, Midnightpass said:

Good luck Jim... I have nothing to add, as I do it lower and slower... Mostly because of laziness... I can't wit to see the great piece of finished meat...

Butch

Thanks Butch,

Ive heard from more than a couple sources that lower & slower renders too much of the softer inter muscular fat on these Gold Wagyus 

1 min ago, jjdbike said:

Thanks Butch,

Ive heard from more than a couple sources that lower & slower renders too much of the softer inter muscular fat on these Gold Wagyus 

I could see that happening...

Butch

6 hours ago, Highlander1 said:

My son bought me chunk ( 2" x 2") for $47, I think it was $200 a pound at Wegmans, straight from Japan, delicious but I'd hate buy a steak. $200 is still a lot of $$ for a piece of meat but I understand the need. 

Was that strip steak or ribeye?

I was at the butcher today and he had A5 Waygu steak for $109 a pound. 

8 hours ago, Kml said:

Was that strip steak or ribeye?

I was at the butcher today and he had A5 Waygu steak for $109 a pound. 

I am not sure but I do believe the 2 pieces he bought were over $200 a lb, I have a pic somewhere of the label. 1 bite for almost $50. Enough for a taste but not wealthy enough for a whole 16 oz. steak. I do know it wasn't American Wagu, it was from Japan. 

Just watched Aaron Franklin's Master Class on trimming brisket again. OMG he cut a lot of meat off. Granted, most of it was vey fatty but it's sill more meat than I'm willing to throw away at $13 a pound.  I don't have a meat grinder so I can't make ground beef to sausage.

Wondering what I can do with the fatty brisket trimmings? Any ideas?

JD

Hi JJ,

If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer, the newer all metal grinder attachments work quite well and are very reasonable,

as apposed to the old mostly plastic ones which sucked. They aren't fit to process a whole large animal, but for

small jobs, work fine.

1 hour ago, jjdbike said:

I don't have a meat grinder so I can't make ground beef to sausage.

Wondering what I can do with the fatty brisket trimmings? Any ideas?

JD