Dracula

Strongest 30lb braid with smallest diameter

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

Any suggestion for the strongest braid with the smallest diameter ratio for striped bass fishing. I want to use 30lb, but a braid with the smallest diameter at that and also with the best reviews by you guys. I was thinking about going as low as powepro 20lb to get the diameter so I could cast further, but I am afraid if I hook into a 50 incher striper I could lose it. Of course it depends on where I am fishing, for example on a jetty or just open beach.  I do mostly open beach fishing at night and I know I can catch that monster fish of a life time, so I want to be prepared but I also want to cast far. The maximum weight I generally casting is around 2.5 oz average. Any suggestions and guidance would be great from you experienced striped bass fishermen. Thanks guys. 

I use 30 lb  Daiwa J braid 8 strand on one of my spinning reels fishing the open beach in Florida.  Plenty strong and pretty thin in my opinion.  No issues with wind knots. 

33 mins ago, Dracula said:

Hi everyone, 

Any suggestion for the strongest braid with the smallest diameter ratio for striped bass fishing. I want to use 30lb, but a braid with the smallest diameter at that and also with the best reviews by you guys. I was thinking about going as low as powepro 20lb to get the diameter so I could cast further, but I am afraid if I hook into a 50 incher striper I could lose it. Of course it depends on where I am fishing, for example on a jetty or just open beach.  I do mostly open beach fishing at night and I know I can catch that monster fish of a life time, so I want to be prepared but I also want to cast far. The maximum weight I generally casting is around 2.5 oz average. Any suggestions and guidance would be great from you experienced striped bass fishermen. Thanks guys. 

Samurai.  Hands down.

Sufix 832 gets my vote. Samurai and max quattro are probably the two bet casting but unlike other braids that break well above their ratings, samurai and max quattro breaks right around their actual rating. Best two lines for casting hands down but you touch any rocks or barnacles at all and line snaps right away lol

Posted (edited) · Report post

No love for Tuff Line XP? I got on the braid bandwagon when it first came out and tried most of all of them. I always found the Tuff Line XP to be the best for my all around plugging. Strong, thin, abrasion resistant and holds knots better than most.

Jim

Edited by JBreese1

3 hours ago, DaveC said:

Samurai.  Hands down.

Very thin 30lb, but Samurai actually breaks at 30lb, most other 30lb braids sold in the US break at close to 50lb hence their larger diameters

Most 15lb break at 30lb; 20lb at 35lb with diamters that are in line with their actual BS.

20lb (marked) braids will out cast 30lb (marked) by quite a margin as the spool empties slower

Do you really need a line that breaks at 50lb? This is your 1st deciding factor

Posted (edited) · Report post

All contemporary braid lines have approximately same tensile strength.

For me more importent abrazion resistance... When huge halibut or stingray run under the pier and you about 20min try to pull it out... I have good experiences with 40lb PPro.

Edited by ING

27 mins ago, ING said:

All contemporary braid lines have approximately same tensile strength.

For me more importent abrazion resistance... When huge halibut or stingray run under the pier and you about 20min try to pull it out... I have good experiences with 40lb PPro.

Are you in California?

JD