The Fishing Pole

Do you really need a duplicator?

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I have the Vega with a carbide cutter (from Steel Pulse) and haven't removed it in years. Once you have a pattern or a master to copy, you can replicate it perfectly. Very handy when I am doing darters, which I find to be the most demanding to build. But it helps me retain consistent results with my spooks, which are the ones I have the most success building catching, and trading with. Plugs take time to build, so if I can eliminate the largest source of making a dud, (shaping, IMO), I will use a duplicator.  Need it? No. But I would not be without one now.....

I visited a father/son woodturning team in the 80's. Their main business was making prototypes, by hand, that if approved by the potential buyer like Macy's,  Hammacher Schlemmer and other upscale clients would then be mass produced overseas and sold. The father spoke no English but the son told me that all the professional photos in all the catalogs actually show their handmade prototypes. I watched the father turn a complete chess set in a few minutes using nothing but a single homemade chisel and a simple unmarked set of calipers on a lathe that looked like it was salvaged from a scrap-yard. I then inspected the pieces which were so exact that I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't witness it with my own eyes.

Most of the time it takes me longer to set up my DIY duplicator than it does to just turn by hand !! :laugh:  I usually turn the blank to 90% complete , then finish off the last little bit with the duplicator. If i'm only doing 3 or 4, i just finish them by hand. if I'm doing a ' batch', then I set up the dupe and finish them that way.... Everybody's different. I've watched  guys crank out plug after plug while sitting there talking  w/o any fancy machines and they all look almost identical. Face it, a fishing plug isn't exactly a hard shape to turn repeatedly. 

Jim

Unless he's very recently joined us here in the 21rst century (:p) Mike Fixter still doesn't use one

so obviously they are not an absolute requirement

I use this tool when I'm looking to copy just one or two things, and it's not worth the effort to do on the duplicator

The Sorby Sizer - 

Sorby Sizing tool.PNG

9 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Unless he's very recently joined us here in the 21rst century (:p) Mike Fixter still doesn't use one

so obviously they are not an absolute requirement

I use this tool when I'm looking to copy just one or two things, and it's not worth the effort to do on the duplicator

The Sorby Sizer - 

Sorby Sizing tool.PNG

Neither do I

I use one - I like consistency in my work, I also do a lot of free hand stuff, like when a buddy has 

a plug he likes and would like another one, or when building a new plug for the first time, like a needle fish,

Personally I have never free handed a plug. I have done everything on my home made duplicator. I make  a profile pattern and then fine tune the pattern as I make it till I get shape I want. Just how I do it. The home made is more like free handing though because the cutter is free to move where you want, not on a track like a Vega. I do use a Vega too but more to rough out repetitive shapes that I then finish on home made. Just how I enjoy doing it. When you have been a machinist for over 40 years you have a way of doing things that just flow into everything you do building things wise.  Many ways to skin a cat 

1 hour ago, Steel Pulse said:

Personally I have never free handed a plug. I have done everything on my home made duplicator. I make  a profile pattern and then fine tune the pattern as I make it till I get shape I want. Just how I do it. The home made is more like free handing though because the cutter is free to move where you want, not on a track like a Vega. I do use a Vega too but more to rough out repetitive shapes that I then finish on home made. Just how I enjoy doing it. When you have been a machinist for over 40 years you have a way of doing things that just flow into everything you do building things wise.  Many ways to skin a cat 

Your plugs are amazing Paul

Posted (edited) · Report post

This is where all the magic happens in my basement  haha. As Steel said about his, mine could be considered freehand. nothing fancy for sure,  2 x 4 block of cedar.

20210728_180138.jpg

Edited by Punch63

I've changed over to drawing the plug on graph paper and then cutting a template.

They're not all home runs :freak:

6 hours ago, Punch63 said:

This is where all the magic happens in my basement  haha. As Steel said about his, mine could be considered freehand. nothing fancy for sure,  2 x 4 block of cedar.

20210728_180138.jpg

Perfect 

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, Punch63 said:

20210728_180138.jpg

Punch, that block scares the hell out of me , especially cracking like it is. How do you hold it ? Paul ( steel pulse ) and Cape Sams walked me through building my block and it was a HUGE  improvement. The trick was WEIGHT. My block is filled with lead with a steel base. I'll see if I can find a pic . Another helpful tip they gave was to keep the tracer and cutter close to the block. Mine only sticks out maybe 3/4 inch or so, and to keep the distance between the tracer and cutter as small as possible. Mine is around 3 inches. Last, Paul gave a great sugestion to keep your handles low so your  hands are registering on the table and not in midair.Those four suggestions made my block 100 times better, and safer. Send me your address  and I'll send you a nice heavy chunk of Mahogany if you want to re-build . Not criticizing by any means, please don't take it that way, just thinking safety.

dupe.jpeg

Edited by Mandoborg

Mandatory, thanks for the tip ( and Paul ), as you can see from the pic, I've had the metal shank that holds the cutter blade snap off on me a couple of months ago, that would have done a little damage if it made contact.  Winters project, is to make something more user friendly,  though I have been using this setup going on two years

20210529_173805.jpg