JerseyJeb

Anybody know what's up with Tsunami's business model?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I know the parent company is Bimini Bay Outfitters (they also sell tackle under the name Buccaneer Tackle) but it is very weird (to me) that they don't:


1. Have a publicly available website displaying their wares and/or promoting their brand.
2. Have a publicly available catalog showing what they actually have for sale.
3. For brands that don't do 1 or 2 themselves will at least hand off for a main distributor to take care of but that isn't the case either.

It makes me wonder why they even bother having a brand? If you are going to exclusively sell and advertise via retailers why not just slap a sticker with the shops name on it?
I am not hating on them, it's just really weird that I will be going through the clearance rack at Dick's or something and find a piece of tackle by them I didn't even know they made.
Also when I am shopping for a rod I like to see all the variations in lure weight, length, etc just makes it inconvenient relying on whatever the shop currently has in stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never understood why they don't put weights on any of their lures I've bought or seen. I mean, they make the only blurple paddletails ive seen so I'll keep buying them, but a lot of their stuff just seems sloppy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, Jefffahfffah said:

I never understood why they don't put weights on any of their lures I've bought or seen. I mean, they make the only blurple paddletails ive seen so I'll keep buying them, but a lot of their stuff just seems sloppy.

Yeah separate gripe but for some companies it's asking too much for them to put: hook size, overall length, and weight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a weird one with them. I have the 8 1/2 foot Trophy II surf rod (which is a solid rod for the price) and it states on the rod “Medium Action”. Since when is action ever rated “Medium”? Never! Medium power? Absolutely and that is exactly what the rod is. No idea what they’re thinking here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jefffahfffah said:

they make the only blurple paddletails ive seen

Not to derail…

 

ZMan = 3”,4”,5” and 7”

 

BC19F3FB-F702-4933-95C7-77EED638A808.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, iwantmypie said:

I got a weird one with them. I have the 8 1/2 foot Trophy II surf rod (which is a solid rod for the price) and it states on the rod “Medium Action”. Since when is action ever rated “Medium”? Never! Medium power? Absolutely and that is exactly what the rod is. No idea what they’re thinking here. 

I don’t think that’s very egregious. There’s many rods that have medium action, and medium power. Medium action is a legitimate thing as it describes how the rod loads when you cast. I hope I’m not completely missing what you’re trying to convey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jefffahfffah said:

I never understood why they don't put weights on any of their lures I've bought or seen. I mean, they make the only blurple paddletails ive seen so I'll keep buying them, but a lot of their stuff just seems sloppy.

I was buying tsunami jigs at Walmart and none had a weight on the jigs, which is crucial. It just forced me to order any tsunami jigs online to get a proper weighting, which is very frustrating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, osmalones said:

I don’t think that’s very egregious. There’s many rods that have medium action, and medium power. Medium action is a legitimate thing as it describes how the rod loads when you cast. I hope I’m not completely missing what you’re trying to convey. 

I bring it up because I've only ever seen action rated as Fast/Moderate/Slow for the most part, more or less. Plus, they don’t list both “Action” and “Power”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 mins ago, osmalones said:

I don’t think that’s very egregious. There’s many rods that have medium action, and medium power. Medium action is a legitimate thing as it describes how the rod loads when you cast. I hope I’m not completely missing what you’re trying to convey. 

The medium/moderate thing can be confusing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 mins ago, Jefffahfffah said:

Excellent, just ordered a bunch and some jigheads. Thanks for that.

Just a tip, put a drop of super glue gel on your jighead when using the zman minnow. It will secure the plastic to the jighead and not slide down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iwantmypie said:

I bring it up because I've only ever seen action rated as Fast/Moderate/Slow for the most part, more or less. Plus, they don’t list both “Action” and “Power”

I get what you’re saying. There should be much better labeling, the fact we are arguing about medium action/power shows that the label could be better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, JerseyJeb said:

I know the parent company is Bimini Bay Outfitters (they also sell tackle under the name Buccaneer Tackle) but it is very weird (to me) that they don't:


1. Have a publicly available website displaying their wares and/or promoting their brand.
2. Have a publicly available catalog showing what they actually have for sale.
3. For brands that don't do 1 or 2 themselves will at least hand off for a main distributor to take care of but that isn't the case either.
 

I am not making fun of you, but your post is hilarious.  Its not my place to pull back the curtain.  Suffice it to say not all is as it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

I am not making fun of you, but your post is hilarious.  Its not my place to pull back the curtain.  Suffice it to say not all is as it seems.

I am pretty sure most of their stuff (at least for basic tackle) is just run of the mill alibaba / aliexpress tier manufactured product (which is fine by me, saves me the trouble of endlessly scrolling amazon or ebay just to end up overpaying). But for a company to not care about direct to customer sales at all and just sell to shops is interesting, maybe they don't hold inventory and just direct ship from China/Asia to the tackle shop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is very strange that they don’t even have a website listing the products they sell. There is no way of knowing what lures they sell, lure colors, rod models, reel sizes, etc. I guess their attitude is if you see something in the store that you like then buy it if you don’t then buy something else and don’t ask questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.