ThrowinPlugs

Long Beach Smithtown Parking off season?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Not fishing related, my girlfriend is a published photographer and is always looking for different places to do shoots. She was curious what the parking situation is at long Beach in St James/Smithtown during the off season. I usually park at the marina when I'm going on a charter with no hassle but was curious about the big parking lot adjacent to the beach entrance. Anyone know if non residents will get ticketed there off season during the day?  I've lived here 33 years and never went to that beach. Thanks.

I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket there. There's usually a kid at the booth in the summer months checking residency. My guess would be that you're fine. Just make sure you're out of there by sunset, the bay constable is usually itching to give ticket for that. 

Just now, JimmyBean said:

I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket there. There's usually a kid at the booth in the summer months checking residency. My guess would be that you're fine. Just make sure you're out of there by sunset, the bay constable is usually itching to give ticket for that. 

Thats what im thinking. The booth is gone for off season. Good ol bay constable. Lmao

3 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Thats what im thinking. The booth is gone for off season. Good ol bay constable. Lmao

When I was in high school I came back to my car a little after sunset at a nearby town beach and found his big white pickup parked behind me. I asked him to let it slide as the sun had just set. He responded sternly:

"The sun has SET, it is now DUSK!"

Ended up fighting the ticket and won, as he didn't write the time on the ticket and the town law says you have to be out thirty minutes after sunset. The way he said that is burned into my memory lmao. 

Town of Smithtown will show you no mercy without any and all proper permits regardless  of season.  Shame what the town has become.  No respect for peaceful activity any more.  

I think it depends on what public Saftey officer on duty

agree with rocks me easy. It’s a shame 

but as long as your a resident and it not after dark. You should be fine

when I lived there you were able to get a night fishing permit but it might be too late in the season

if your a non resident I wouldn’t venture far from the car

Nobody at the booth now, sure you would be fine during daylight hours. Just don't speed thru Village of Nissequoge when going to long beach or short beach....village cops are brutal, even if you're a Smithtown resident!

57 mins ago, surfrat59 said:

Nissequoge when going to long beach or short beach....

the houses along that route are insane, makes Lloyd harbor look budget friendly.

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, surfrat59 said:

Nobody at the booth now, sure you would be fine during daylight hours. Just don't speed thru Village of Nissequoge when going to long beach or short beach....village cops are brutal, even if you're a Smithtown resident!

A few years ago, around noon, I, a Huntington Town, non resident, was followed along Nissequoque River Road, by a Village police car all the way to the spot where I parked my truck near the water at the end of Long Beach. As soon as I stepped out of the truck, the officer got out of his car and questioned me. I was dressed in waders and carrying my rod. I told him I was a Huntington resident, had all Town and Suffolk County and State Park permits and even though I didn't have the Smithtown Town permit, I was hoping to fish there with my wife, also w/fishing gear., now that the season was over. He told me unless I left immediately, he would ticket me. I left and haven't been back. Not a very friendly village, I'd say. This was at the end of October, incidentally.

Edited by flysully
clarification

2 hours ago, flysully said:

A few years ago, around noon, I, a Huntington Town, non resident, was followed along Nissequoque River Road, by a Village police car all the way to the spot where I parked my truck near the water at the end of Long Beach. As soon as I stepped out of the truck, the officer got out of his car and questioned me. I was dressed in waders and carrying my rod. I told him I was a Huntington resident, had all Town and Suffolk County and State Park permits and even though I didn't have the Smithtown Town permit, I was hoping to fish there with my wife, also w/fishing gear., now that the season was over. He told me unless I left immediately, he would ticket me. I left and haven't been back. Not a very friendly village, I'd say. This was at the end of October, incidentally.

So obnoxious. Cant wait to leave this island. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, flysully said:

Ticket you for what? If you're not breaking town ordinance, there is to reason to leave. 

Edited by Fishtale7

9 hours ago, flysully said:

That particular lot is owned by Nissequogue and patrolled by Village Police.  A Smithtown Parking sticker or Night Fishing Permit is not valid.  In the past bona fide fisherman with permits or a copy of The Fisherman magazine on the dash would avoid getting parking tickets in a lot of places especially out of season.  This is no longer the case in my recent experiences.

4 hours ago, RocksMeEasy said:

That particular lot is owned by Nissequogue and patrolled by Village Police.  A Smithtown Parking sticker or Night Fishing Permit is not valid.  In the past bona fide fisherman with permits or a copy of The Fisherman magazine on the dash would avoid getting parking tickets in a lot of places especially out of season.  This is no longer the case in my recent experiences.

These town cops got nothing else better do than bug a bunch of people fishing in the off season. That’s really pathetic. 

13 hours ago, OnlyChunk said:

These town cops got nothing else better do than bug a bunch of people fishing in the off season. That’s really pathetic. 

In all reality there isn’t really anything better to do.   Rules are simple… not a resident stay out.