JohnW93

2021 Striped Bass Index

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

Another below average spawn. So frustrating to watch a fixable issue being ignored. 

Slot limits and circle hooks were band-aids on a bullet wound. Shut it down — no harvesting. Charter boats and commercial fisherman will struggle now, but at the cost of having a healthy fishery for decades to come.  

slot limit is bulls**t, literally killing fish during their prime breeding years. makes zero sense. how are these fish suppose to live longer, grow larger etc etc? Ive gut hooked bass on circles too. Ive even heard of and seen people from the beach and heard stories of guys out on boats who are completely ignoring the slot limit too. actually seen guys fill a cooler on schoolies, Immediately reported that ****. the problem too is that people who straight up dont respect this activity/lifestyle, "relax dude theres an entire ocean of fish" is one ive heard alot. absolutely absurd.. just ruining it for everyone every year. 

There are certain cultures and fisherman that ALWAYS fish for table fare...it would break my phuking heart to take a bass home. The bigger they are the more majestic they look.

Moratorium is the only way....

And of course "if you see something...you say something".... 

3 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

There are certain cultures and fisherman that ALWAYS fish for table fare...it would break my phuking heart to take a bass home. The bigger they are the more majestic they look.

Moratorium is the only way....

And of course "if you see something...you say something".... 

I agree. and look ive been guilty of keeping fish before (within the regulation size of course), and ive always rather someone at least eat the fish they catch (no matter the species) rather than just trophy fish the big boys. but this is out of hand with the bass. We need a moratorium! these beautiful fish need years to rebuild themselves and then we can talk about fishing them again. it doesnt help also that the weather year after year continues to get more drastic, which devastates the inshore environments, and the warmer temps (its oct 18th and its the first time it feel below 60 degrees...) drive all these fish out to deeper colder waters. your more likely to find bass in 100+ ft of water than in their typical inshore habitats this time of year. So much needs to be done...

Posted (edited) · Report post

As has been said many times, the fishery is managed for its max sustainable yield and not for its genuine recovery.  Dead discard and commercial bicatch when thousands of breeders wash up dead is a huge issue.  Staggered regulation expose the entire size range throughout their migration, to harvest.  Coupled with poaching, bi catch and poor spawning years exacerbated by the overall decline in biomas, it's no wonder this is where we are.  

What frightens me more is the manipulation of facts meant to detract attention from the real issues.  Blaming environmental factors alone or release mortality turns a blind eye to common sense solutions that worked before and will work again. one fish at 36 or 38 worked in the early an mid 90's and had more to do with the recovery than the one year moratorium.  When the regs turned to 2 at 28" and then some other combination of two fish, spawning success plummeted, recruitment and spawning stock all declined leading to today.  Keep more fish in the water for more years ensuring a greater number of fish spawn successfully both when conditions are conducive and more importantly, when they are not.  

Edited by DeepBlue85

I’m 100% convinced that you’re going to see pockets of nice bass come through with large gulfs between, unlike in years past. Smaller pods of bigger fish chasing bait is fun but not when the pod is small and isn’t replaced for a long time. Before you know it, it will be late November.

On 10/16/2021 at 11:16 AM, F1SH said:

They do realize you’re just as likely to gut hook fish with circle hooks, right?

Absolutely not true with inline circles. Offset circles which you can’t legally use for bass anyway? Yes, those suck.

I 100% support a moratorium, but 1@35” (no exceptions coastwide)  is a close second.

Edited by C.Robin

8 hours ago, C.Robin said:

100% support a moratorium,

Only way to go.

For next 5 - 6 years and after that, maybe 1 at 30something with tags.

Edited by Popasilov

Tomorrow, the ASMFC's Atlantic Striped Bass Management Board will meet to discuss the Draft Amendment 7 and probably release it for public comment.  That will provide you with an opportunity to impact the management process and move things in the right direction.

Last May, stakehoklder comment, which largely came from recreational fishermen, caused the potentially most destructive proposals to be stripped from the draft Amendment.  We kept the biological reference points, we kept the rebuilding period, we added a proposal to rebuild the 2015s.  Now, there are only a couple of detrimental proposals remaining, all related to the management triggers that determine when action must be taken; as a counterbalance, there are some good management proposal triggers out there, too,

And yes, thanks to the comment, there's a moratorium proposal out there, too.

Once the Draft Amendment is out for public comment, it will be time to convert your discontent into action.  Get your friends involved, get your clubs involved, and let the managers know what you want (in the context of the Amendment; this is not the time for random comments) and what you don't want to see, and try to turn Amendment 7 into a win for the bass.

I'm going to be out there pushing for change through my blog.  I know that the Ameruican Saltwater Guides Association will be out there fighting for the bass.  I've had issues with Stripers Forever over the years, but they've been working hard to to the right thing on Amendment 7, too.  So have a number of local clubs, and a lot of other folks who decided to get off their butts and become voices for change.

We moved things in the right direction in May.  We hope to move it further this time around, but could certainly use a little more help.

Some perspective, 10 - 15 years ago we had historically high bass biomass  and it was easy fishing , hoping to duplicate that is not going to happen. Environmental factors , pollution in spawning areas , targeted fishing for actively spawning fish in the Hudson and the legal harvest of rat bass in the Chesapeake all hurt the resource. 

If anyone wants a preview of the topics that will be covered during the draft amendment meeting, the ASGA podcast (The Guide Post) most recent episode covers it nicely. 

Edited by C.Robin

Excellent thread gents! Thanks! If it were up to surf casters, I think moratorium would win. Alas! There are  powerful industry interests in the middle. As DeepBlue said, the fishery is managed for its maximum yield and not for its genuine recovery.

Like pretty much everyone else, I had also been nagging for years, but I had sensed that striped bass biomass started recovering just a bit since about 2017 or so. This was particularly felt after that prolonged sand-eel bite of 2019, during which time fish were pounding the south shore surf 24/7 for about two months. It must have been millions of them and 99% were young, 3-5 years old. That gave me a little optimism about the future. What happened to all that fish? Are they on a different migration pattern now and just bypass us ever since? Is it mortality? How can this be explained?

Edited by Rough