reeldude56

Practice casting with tennis balls

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Headed to OBX surf fishing for the first time in years and started practice casting with an 8oz inside a tennis ball. I’m thinking I might gain a few yards with 8nbait  Anyone have any experience with any gains doing this? TIA

Tennis ball fuzz creates enormous drag. So it is useful for killing distance ehen casting in a small field.

You need to dial mags or similar in as the dramatic loss in speed can lead to some nifty overwinds

3 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Tennis ball fuzz creates enormous drag. So it is useful for killing distance ehen casting in a small field.

You need to dial mags or similar in as the dramatic loss in speed can lead to some nifty overwinds

Would that be similar to casting into a headwind? Yeah I have full mag on a penn fathom II 

10 hours ago, reeldude56 said:

Would that be similar to casting into a headwind? Yeah I have full mag on a penn fathom II 

Probably worse.

Incidentally, how do you find the max setting on the Fathom II's magnet range?

1 hour ago, ZAFisher said:

Probably worse.

Incidentally, how do you find the max setting on the Fathom II's magnet range?

I switched to the low profile knob which has a + and a- symbol. Is that what you are asking?

On 2021/10/16 at 0:09 PM, reeldude56 said:

I switched to the low profile knob which has a + and a- symbol. Is that what you are asking?

No I meant the range of magent control, ie how many clicks off max are you comfortable with?

I've rigged field hockey balls (they weigh about 5.5oz) with eye scews, could imagine a Lacross ball, being solid rubber should be similar?

Lacross is not popularly played here, but looking at the standard size, I think it would make a nicer practice weight than a hockey ball.

eye screw.jpg

On 10/23/2021 at 1:54 AM, ZAFisher said:

No I meant the range of magent control, ie how many clicks off max are you comfortable with?

Since I am really just learning proper technique keeping it turned all the way in 

On 10/23/2021 at 7:04 AM, Mr. Bigdeal said:

how do you rig the lacross or tennis ball...........

Cut small X just big enough for whatever weight to slip in. Started wrapping a layer of duct tape around the ball and like how that works 

On 10/15/2021 at 0:40 PM, reeldude56 said:

Headed to OBX surf fishing for the first time in years and started practice casting with an 8oz inside a tennis ball. I’m thinking I might gain a few yards with 8nbait  Anyone have any experience with any gains doing this? TIA

I get nearly twice the distance w/golf balls than I do w/tennis balls. I drill them out, n fill with lead, attach eye screw, weigh n thro!