triumph

Ultralight rod length and action

15 posts in this topic

I’ve been having a blast with the micro baits lately. So much that I want to upgrade the 4.5 foot ugly stik I’ve been using it’s like casting with a spring.

I’m trying to cast 1/16 oz as far as I can accurately but still have the backbone for the occasional little smallmouths we have down here...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Which ugly stik do you have now ? I just ask because their blanks can vary from a lot to no fiberglass. 

Conventional advice is keeping ultra lights short but I enjoy fishing a 6&1/2 - 7 ft, no downside in the actual casting and fighting I have seen, can just be awkward walking through the woods sometimes. 

Edited by JerseyJeb

Longer ultralight and light action rods give you longer casts with light baits, the ability to take slack out when setting the hook in deeper water, and more forgiveness during the fight with light line.  The short rods were the rage in the 70 when you couldn't get fast action spinning rods much less long fast action ones.  Billy Westmoreland popularized the 5.5 spinning rod for small jig fishing for bass and it stayed with the warm water fisheries for a long time.  Most ultralight rods were soft for tossing spinners for stock trout back then.  Now they are fast little dart throwers!!  St. Croix makes some very nice ones.

The uglystik  is Gx2. I could probably touch the tip of the rod to the butt without breaking it if I tried.

I have seen quite a few moderate rods and wondered if the benefit was shock absorption for the light line or better distance because of the parabolic nature or whatever. 

Well, I have have the short soft action rod covered so I'm looking at some longer fast actions

St croix triumph traveler, Daiwa presso pack rod and some other 2 pc rods

Maybe take a look at Shimano Sensilite Spinning Rod for $49.99. Anywhere from 5’6” to 7’. I have a bunch of $200 - $300 rods and I still enjoy taking the Sensilite out now and then. I liked it so much that I bought one for my son. Let us know if you are willing to spend more. Good luck.

7 hours ago, triumph said:

The uglystik  is Gx2. I could probably touch the tip of the rod to the butt without breaking it if I tried.

I have seen quite a few moderate rods and wondered if the benefit was shock absorption for the light line or better distance because of the parabolic nature or whatever. 

Well, I have have the short soft action rod covered so I'm looking at some longer fast actions

St croix triumph traveler, Daiwa presso pack rod and some other 2 pc rods

I ran into a guy using a Daiwa Presso 8' ultra light and he really liked it. He was knocking the snot out of wild rainbows with a slinky weight slip rig on the bottom of the river with salmon eggs. For about $50,00 bucks I would not expect much from the pressed cork handle and reel seat, but they guy I talked to loved the rod and how it cast. I watched him catch about 60 rainbows on the Mainstem of Upper Delaware with it and was impressed with his fishing acumen. He also got a few brown trout as well. I believe the blank is IM6 or IM7 which should be a performance upgrade compared to an Ugly Stick.

I am not a bait fisher, but this guy knew his stuff and was putting on a clinic for the rest of us.

IMO a longer 6-1/2 or 7' ultra light will give you more versatility when fishing with either bait or lures and help you land more trout. A fast or medium fast action is what you want if you are tired of buggy whips.

You will break a graphite blank if you try your ugly stick trick with it, or try to pull a snag with the rod in a 12:00 o'clock position.

Edited by Long Wader

I have a 5'4" for tight spots and a 6' for other UL.  I've been thinking about a UL or L 7' rod to add to my collection.  I have a 8'6" ML but limited on where I can take it.

Side note: I also have a Presso 6' 4 piece pack rod but haven't used it yet.

I like 5'6" as a happy versatile length in UL's...to me 5' leaves you wanting a bit more casting length and 6' starts to feel a little too whippy in UL powers

The rods you're looking for have been around the decades, in one case my suggestion has been around for maybe 40 years, it cost me $65 back than, the SJR700S from G Loomis. Fantastic deepwater crappie, trout and small water bass rod, built a casting version for a gentleman who lived on the edge of a Florida golf course and fished the waters on the course with a Shimano Bantam 100EX ultralight casting reel back in the mid 80's, he caught many bass to 5 lbs. Edge Rods has their version and maybe some longer versions now. United Composites has the DHX UC65LXF and UC70LXF, but they are a bit stiffer tipped, I've owned the 65LXF for 15+ years, it was around long before. St. Croix has the S76MLXF, just add the graphite number you want in front, it has an ultralight type tip with stiff ML butt. There are others from Lamiglas and other US builders, you just had to get out of the Walmart rod rack to find what you needed.

Edited by spoonplugger1

7 hours ago, BG_NJ said:

I like 5'6" as a happy versatile length in UL's...to me 5' leaves you wanting a bit more casting length and 6' starts to feel a little too whippy in UL powers

Agreed. I used to have 2 different 5'2" rods as my main UL rigs, but over past few years I've been catching larger fish and the length and strength of these became an obvious liability. I also have a 6' UL but it is a little too soft to be a good lure rod, however it is great for drifting bait or artificial minnows. For lure fishing I upgraded to a 5'6" and a 5'8" and I'm quite happy with these.

Another option from St Croix is their Panfish/Trout series rods. They are the same blank just finished differently and the trout is 2pc. They have a 7’ Lite XFast that is a nice stick. I have one (trout) that I use as a “slip bobber rod” for crappie to swim jigs w/ small soft plastics and it performs very well.

Here is a lil kitty bycatch with it…

961BF12B-465D-4586-8724-07EB3FC2494F.jpeg

AED58B7B-90EA-4A2B-B8C8-E2421B128D3C.jpeg

Edited by Inshore

1 hour ago, Inshore said:

Another option from St Croix is their Panfish/Trout series rods. They are the same blank just finished differently and the trout is 2pc. They have a 7’ Lite XFast that is a nice stick. I have one (trout) that I use as a “slip bobber rod” for crappie to swim jigs w/ small soft plastics and it performs very well.

Here is a lil kitty bycatch with it…

961BF12B-465D-4586-8724-07EB3FC2494F.jpeg

X2 on the Panfish.  Terrific rod!