Mattyice572

Which fly for fall trout?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Update; thanks for all the tips guys, i ended up tying about 15 flies for today and only lost 2. Got 2 trout total 1 on a pink squirmy wormy and 1 on a pink bead egg with flouresant pink dubbing. Tried fiddling around with other assorted flies but i guess pink was the choice for today. These were stocked trout so im still going to keep up with trying to land myself a wild brown or brook trout in the following weeks. Thanks again!

DC85F29D-5C9D-4218-8CFB-3A69858C3D61.jpeg

C5E763DF-EAD5-4A34-8411-4CA6A29BA8FE.jpeg

Keep at it! The fall like others have said is a good time to nymph. Don't ever sleep on a wooly bugger though is it gets colder. Just because it's cold doesn't always mean trout will only eat small flies. Some of my best trout always come in the dead of winter on a streamer/bugger.

4 hours ago, Mattyice572 said:

Update; thanks for all the tips guys, i ended up tying about 15 flies for today and only lost 2. Got 2 trout total 1 on a pink squirmy wormy and 1 on a pink bead egg with flouresant pink dubbing. Tried fiddling around with other assorted flies but i guess pink was the choice for today. These were stocked trout so im still going to keep up with trying to land myself a wild brown or brook trout in the following weeks. Thanks again!

Congrats on your catch!  You may already know this, but in case you don't, I thought I'd mention that wild browns and brookies both spawn in the fall, so if you're going to try to catch them in the next few weeks, take care to avoid stepping on or wading through their spawning beds (redds).  This would hold true from now through the winter, until the eggs hatch in the spring.  Also, it is considered poor angling ethics to target fish on the redds.  Again, sorry if you already knew this.  Good luck!