formula1

Cheap IM10 fly rods on Ebay - anyone ever try them?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I was on that famous auction website the other day and saw inexpensive ($60-$105) Fly rods ranging up to 12 wts, a number of different manufacturer names ("Maxcatch Saltwater Fly Fishing Rod 9ft 7/8/9/10/12wt Graphite IM10 Fast Action", or  "Fly Rod 3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/12 WT Fast Action Fly Fishing Rod IM 10 Carbon Fiber").  Just curious if anyone ever took a chance on one of these and tried them?

And no, I'm not planning on switching to any rods of this type...just curious what you get for such a cheap price...

Stuck inside during the lockdown days I ordered a blank from one of these auction shops. It had no "IM" quoted, just said medium fast action and saltwater specific. And it was a pretty aqua blue so hey... It was $50 so I figured what do I have to lose? Wrapped it up with some single foot guides and I have to say I really like it a lot. In fact I took it out today, throwing a 9 weight Wulff BTT and it's a real keeper. That said - and I suspect this is the case with this price range, I then ordered the same blank in an 8 weight and it was "just OK". By that I mean in calm conditions I can cast a 1/0 deceiver 80' or so with it all day (I'm not a great caster, also "just OK") but in conditions where I need it I feel it lacks some backbone, which was not the case with the 10. So I think in playing with this price range there may well be some good finds, but I wouldn't expect consistency across weights or even individual rods.

Stormy, the crazy thing is those prices I saw were for complete rods.  I wonder where the cost savings on those are...in the design, action, strength (they have 10-12 wts which is where serious fish fighting power starts in most fly rod series), componentry (would the guides rust after a season in the salt?)...

I just ordered the 10 wt and I’ll give a update once I get it.

If worst comes to worst I lost 60 dollars which isn’t much to lose for a fly rod considering most 10wt are well over 100 dollars.

I have one of the maxcatch predator rods in a 10wt as a cheap backup rod...I bought it 4 years ago or so so it may be different now.  No issues casting or fighting fish.  The reel seat and guides are definitely not the best...cork isn't too bad considering how cheap the rod was.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve got some from Maxcatch.

EC7CBB10-C126-48E1-B9BE-0BF40F36B921.jpeg.a63ee8f299d9f1fa83a51984c74bc471.jpeg

Maxcatch is actually Leichi’s brand. Leichi is a big manufacturer that makes stuff for many other brands.

The 9wt is a decent rod. I’ve used that for albies. Before my first trip to Harkers I wanted a 9wt for the trip so I bought one. Faired well. Only real downside was the hook keeper - a property I hate in a rod as the hook keeper needed is the stripping guide foot. Nothing that 30 seconds and a pair pliers wasn’t able to handle.

https://youtube.com/shorts/6jmOc1GnQlY

The rest I bought so I could use the top two sections on my hybrid rods. No point in buying an $800 rod and using just half of it with a $35 glass trolling rod.

The 10wt and 12wts are with a stupid fighting handle. The butt section on the 12wts seem thin outer diameter and I doubt they can take really heavy loads before breaking. So maybe not for tuna,  but for fish that you do not need to pull straight up with large force they should do the job.

Edited by sms

Tempting but leery about bargain bin chinese knockoffs....why chance it when Korea has been making quality flyrods for years that are reasonably priced...TFO and Redington come to mind right away. I'm sure there's others...Hardys Sintrix and Zephryus rods have been made in Korea for years...my 11wt Hardy Proaxis is as nice a rod as I've ever owned. I agree with Steveif, don't support communist China anymore....they'll take over the world without ever firing a shot soon!

I got the rod and it seems totally fine.

So far the biggest fish on the rod has been a 35 inch striper, which handled the fish pretty good.

For what it’s worth I will probably buy a 12wt in the future.

I understand not wanting to support China but I’m on a limited budget so I don’t have much choice in rod company.

Thanks and tight lines!

14 hours ago, spitzlure14 said:

I got the rod and it seems totally fine.

So far the biggest fish on the rod has been a 35 inch striper, which handled the fish pretty good.

For what it’s worth I will probably buy a 12wt in the future.

I understand not wanting to support China but I’m on a limited budget so I don’t have much choice in rod company.

Thanks and tight lines!

There are plenty of used decent rods out there that aren't chinese.

I fish maxcatch rods and love them. Buy the salt pro for a little more money. Much better casting rod than the predator series.  Don’t order from eBay though.  Order direct from them.  They will not warranty if you buy from anyone else but them.  I have had to replace a tip due to client error and it costs 1 dollar for a replacement tip shipped.  Just need to save your original order info.  Have caught big stripers on these rods.  I know am part of Douglas rods pro staff so I use their LRS lines which are great in a budget minded range and highly suggest looking in to them too but I have nothing bad to say about maxcatch. I still exclusively use max catch reels. 

A2C4496C-12D8-42C0-8CB2-BFC2EF5A252D.png

8A54B972-4366-4CDD-919B-5CCC262688D8.jpeg

2AD3FA00-2B4E-4F1F-BF27-19FAD880E9BB.jpeg

9043BC22-61D5-4670-9110-CE9E1317C764.jpeg

D18E9460-2A62-4445-A628-760097D91A91.png

On 10/15/2021 at 0:24 PM, ifsteve said:

Please stop supporting China.

After searching where are Rods - Blanks made Very few from if any China, The Big Boys all Make their Own as they say Quality Control a few from Mexico for the low-end,  rods