Ben Lippen

New, N.J. state record landlocked Atlantic salmon

9 posts in this topic

Tops previous record by 5 ounces!

Record landlocked salmon 2021

Joe Satkowski caught an 8-pound 10-ounce Landlocked Atlantic Salmon on September 30 at Merrill Creek Reservoir, breaking Runelvy Rodriguez’s June 2018 Lake Aeroflex record fish by 5 ounces. 

Joe’s fish measured 26 inches with a girth of 16 ¼ inches.  He caught the fish on 6-pound test line while casting from his boat.   

Merrill Creek Reservoir has been stocked with 14-inch salmon raised at the Division of Fish and Wildlife’s Hackettstown Hatchery for three consecutive years beginning in 2018 (325 fish, 700 fish, 650 fish).

14 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Tops previous record by 5 ounces!

Record landlocked salmon 2021

Joe Satkowski caught an 8-pound 10-ounce Landlocked Atlantic Salmon on September 30 at Merrill Creek Reservoir, breaking Runelvy Rodriguez’s June 2018 Lake Aeroflex record fish by 5 ounces. 

Joe’s fish measured 26 inches with a girth of 16 ¼ inches.  He caught the fish on 6-pound test line while casting from his boat.   

Merrill Creek Reservoir has been stocked with 14-inch salmon raised at the Division of Fish and Wildlife’s Hackettstown Hatchery for three consecutive years beginning in 2018 (325 fish, 700 fish, 650 fish).

What a beautiful fish!

I've always wanted to catch an Atlantic Salmon, any kind really but especially Atlantic. On my bucket list for sure.

Thanks for posting.

JD

i saw this on another board a couple weeks ago.  the most important takeaway from this fish is it was stocked 3 years ago @ 14".  that's amazing, the LL in merrill are not going to be anything like the put and take aeroflex fishery, esp since theres no ice fishing allowed.

3 hours ago, gobigblue said:

i saw this on another board a couple weeks ago.  the most important takeaway from this fish is it was stocked 3 years ago @ 14".  that's amazing, the LL in merrill are not going to be anything like the put and take aeroflex fishery, esp since theres no ice fishing allowed.

Very impressive growth rate for sure. That reservoir has a healthy population of herring which is why everything grows big there. It’s like what Round Valley used to be. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

One a side note:

I was looking for some steelhead jigs and was surprised to find them in stock at the new VanDam Warehouse online store. They even had a fair selection of ice fishing jigs, salmon eggs, trout and salmon spinners as well as one of best jerkbait selections I have seen in a long time including some from the leading Japanese lure companies. They even had 1" gulp minnows which are hard to find and deadly on trout mounted a 1/32 or 1/64 oz. jig.

They also got me my jigs much faster than TW.

Edited by Long Wader