Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 14 - Oct 21

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, rolm said:

Another kayak trip this morning off Less Popular Breachway.  Air temps in high 60s at dawn, forecasted 1' swell with S winds 12-14 (you'd think I would have learned this lesson by now).  a 2.5' high tide turned around 05:30, which puts lag drop just after dawn.

Ocean swell might have been 1', but the wind swell ended up being 3-4 (wind was gusting to 20s) with a really short period. Made for a hell of a struggle just to head out, and the outflow was undercutting the wind swell causing curling breakers all the way out.  All around poor kayaking conditions, but I've done worse.  

When we first got out the current wasn't really moving yet and we caught first sight of the wind swell, so we landed and cast around off the rocks for a few.  No hits, but I am pretty sure I saw one belly flash just outside the mouth.  10 more minutes of casting got us nothing.  We re-launched from the beach between the heavy swells, and I immediately ran into breaking fish just outside the breachway.  I got over-focused and ended up getting blown back into the surf zone and rolling.  Luckily my gear was (mostly) secure and all I lost was a couple of tins.  Re-re-launched and paddled well clear of shore. 

We tried crossing the outflow with the intention of trolling the pocket where the current usually curls around back to shore, but once we got over there we realized that the combined sea swell and the wind was forcing the outflow the wrong way, and the wind swell extended the surf zone farther out from shore and excluded trolling where we wanted to.  Fought our way back through the curlers and we were both pretty tired at that point and had seen no fish activity other than that first burst, so we went in.  Never saw any other breaking fish, never saw any of the five or six anglers around land anything. 

Lesson (maybe it will stick this time): when the winds are forecasted above 10, only plan kayak trips if there is a solid reason to go.  At least the kid is learning when not to go, and why.

What are you using for your weather forecasts. I was planning on fishing today until I saw small craft advisory and 20-30mph wind. I check NOAA marine forecast for wave heights and the weather channel app for wind. 

7 hours ago, z-man said:

What are you using for your weather forecasts. I was planning on fishing today until I saw small craft advisory and 20-30mph wind. I check NOAA marine forecast for wave heights and the weather channel app for wind. 

Yeah I get so little time to go this year it was probably wishful thinking. I remember the forecast saying it could gust in the 20s and thinking "eh how bad could it be". 

1 hour ago, rolm said:

Yeah I get so little time to go this year it was probably wishful thinking. I remember the forecast saying it could gust in the 20s and thinking "eh how bad could it be". 

Glad you made it through the roll

And had a partner / buddy / son for backup 

Earlier in the week was better 

Wind kicked up yesterday in Newport before noon and SoCo by early afternoon 

Couple corner pockets are manageable depending on direction 

But the breach way currents add another whole element 

Ebb makes it steep and choppy 

Flood makes it fast and powerful 

I'm fairly well versed in sit on top kayaks but also fairly new to the Hobbies with raised seats and mirage drive vs paddling 

All takes some figuring out and choreography when beach launching / landing

Good luck and be safe out there, cheers !

Edited by GraniteStRockfish

9 hours ago, z-man said:

Just adding my 2 cents

Besides NOAA and NWS Marine forecast, and NDBC buoys 

WindAlert and Windy have been doing a decent job IMHO of forecasting wind strength and shifts

On 10/16/2021 at 1:14 PM, z-man said:

On 10/16/2021 at 10:26 PM, GraniteStRockfish said:

Just adding my 2 cents

Besides NOAA and NWS Marine forecast, and NDBC buoys 

WindAlert and Windy have been doing a decent job IMHO of forecasting wind strength and shifts

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44097 —>For real time wave buoy forcast off block island

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=nwpr1&uom=E&tz=EST —> for real time winds. It’s a Newport station so keep that in mind. There are probably other stations but it’s a good general approximation for the general area. 

Windy as well as wundergound has always treated me well for wind forcast and weather respectively. 

A surfing forecasts tend to do a decent job as well and will have both wind and waves in one. Surfline and magic seaweed are just two examples. You can pick a spot close to you or take their regional forecast. Both should get you close enough for fishing/ near shore boating. Just keep in mind their wave height forecast will be a little higher than what you’ll find on the open water as it’s breaking height. 

Pretty windy this morning. Trying to get a good cast and get the wind loop out of the line was a challenge. Moved around a little to try and make it easier on myself. Had a lot of short hits or swiped on a larger needle. Switched to a smaller profile swim shad and hooked into a bunch of larger schoolies. Went back to a larger plug to try to am find a bigger fish. Had a few low end slot fish but nothing impressive. Once the sun came up I threw some larger top water poppers and had some fun watching some decent blow ups. Nothing impressive for size but the fish were there and they were feeding. 

The cold windy weather felt more like fall and the fishing felt like it reflected that. Also the weather seemed to have kept a lot of people home which is nice. A spot that has been mobbed had zero people this morning. 

8 hours ago, xjclint said:

Bay and Ocean is alive again. Blitzes for days. Huge tog. Albies in the bay. Get out there!

3 hours ago, cab395 said:

Can’t find a striper to save my life. Been skunked last several outings. 

Love the consistency in the reports.

I suppose it will take a third opinion to break the tie.

I'm really surprised there hasn't been more blues from shore. I'm not used to that in October. Usually everybody is bitchin' because the blues are around, biting off albie jigs and beating the stripers to the plugs.

It's weird because there seemed like decent numbers in the spring. 

Where'd they go?

On 10/15/2021 at 0:28 PM, cow tamer said:

Wonder if lack of predators over recent years has lead to bumper crops of bait?

Fishing a back estuary, I thought there was something going on with my real when I came to the realization that the irregular retrieve was due to my lure bumping its way through a plethora of packed of bait.

I don’t doubt that predator abundance affects prey abundance, but another well known phenomenon in predator-prey dynamics is that predators affect the movement and potentially the visibility of prey.  Elk, for example, change their use of cover when wolves are around.  Grasshoppers hide in the goldenrod when there are wolf spiders around.  The migratory routes of sandpipers ate affected on large geographic scales by the recovery of peregrine falcon populations.  I’m sure there is a lot of bait around, but it’s also likely that the absence of stripers is making them more visible to us, and maybe even affecting the timing of movement in and out of sheltered waters.  Just a thought to ponder.

Togged today, on a boat. It sucked. First time ever we didn’t limit out on tog. 5 guys had 8 keeper tog and 15 keeper sea bass. Honking wind against tide all morning made for very poor conditions. 

36 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Togged today, on a boat. It sucked. First time ever we didn’t limit out on tog. 5 guys had 8 keeper tog and 15 keeper sea bass. Honking wind against tide all morning made for very poor conditions. 

Friend went out saturday from shore also said the same thing. Plenty of people were fishing, no one is getting bites. Weird. (I thought he really sucked.)