Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 14 - Oct 21

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share, report weekly fishing activity.

This will benefit those who greatly use this RI forum and ply our local waters. The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal, thus making it easy to access, view and add your own fish reports.   This is the fourth year for this type of approach. The years past have had great participation and much success.  Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero, let us all know if the bite is good or just not worth it getting off the couch.  Fresh, factual information is one of the best sources of Intel with the ever changing fishing conditions we have today. 

Wednesday's trip started out at the fish traps in Narragansett at sunrise looking for footballs.

Nothing materialized for the 1st hour. Decide to head to the reefs off Newport, since we were that close.

Dense fog moved off Newport, turned back an headed to Pt. Jude where it was clear to the horizon.

Sea and wind was nice, great day to be on the water. Nothing at the Point.

Decided to roll the dice and stop chasing the hardtail ghost moved the needle to Block Island, perhaps there would be some bluefish/striper activity?

Circumvented the whole island with nothing to show except some great scenery.

Made a B-Line to Weekapaug, Watch Hill. Ten miles from the mainland we run into a giant school of alblie's purposing on the surface, traveling fast, headed home.

Now that's why there was none at all in Narragansett. That's solid proof enough for me to stop chasing alibie ghost.

I'm afraid that fishery is over for the season. Hit ever shore pile, breachway going back to Pt. Jude.

Did hook a nice fish off C'town, never seen it, came un buttoned before we could take a peek.

Landed a few shad there and that was it. 

..  went toggin out front today  adult pogies in the upper west passage heading out  . no birds or fish on them 

late tog bite & a few descent sea bass      . has a epoxy jig on another rod 

all small sea bass >nice day OTW  face burn 

Fished a back water spot higher in the drop... Bait everywhere just chillin and happy as could be.  Some shad on it but overall nothing, which i just dont get at this time of year.  Even small schoolies should be gorging on the bait... where did even they go????

Went to an outfront spot for the low drop.  Got a few large schoolies right away and then NOTHING... not another hit for the best part of the tide..... I get the bass  are migrating with the moons and amount of daylight but i feel like the bait moves more on water temps.  We need some cold nights to get this bait moving again, it went from staging to leave to heading back into the coves and estuaries.  Getting a little frustrating...

34 mins ago, Kooky said:

Fished a back water spot higher in the drop... Bait everywhere just chillin and happy as could be.  Some shad on it but overall nothing, which i just dont get at this time of year.  Even small schoolies should be gorging on the bait... where did even they go????

Went to an outfront spot for the low drop.  Got a few large schoolies right away and then NOTHING... not another hit for the best part of the tide..... I get the bass  are migrating with the moons and amount of daylight but i feel like the bait moves more on water temps.  We need some cold nights to get this bait moving again, it went from staging to leave to heading back into the coves and estuaries.  Getting a little frustrating...

According to the Maine forum they're still seeing action up there. Maybe they're on their way.

I agree water temp gets them moving. Day length has to be important for them to judge the season but water temps probably are most important. 

Kayaked gansett yesterday morning. Started with tog and was fighting through sea bass. A couple barely keeper tog, lots of small sea bass with a few big ones (19-21”). I marked a few big fish and threw a paddle tail. Hooked up on something decent but broke off, likely a big blue.

Went looking around for a rock with more tog and less seabass. But it was unsuccessful. Those togging from shore also seemed bored. 

I did have one pod of funnies break with in casting range. Only three or four breaks.  It took about 4 seconds to grab my epoxy rod and cast. That was 3 seconds too late.

Overall a very disappointing trip. Tog bite sucked, bass and blues were a no show, and it was a borderline miracle that I even saw a funnyfish. Couldn’t beat the weather though 

It was most likely me sucking. I had a very good day of tog on the other side of RI last Monday. My first spot held fish but sea bass outnumbered tog 3-1. My attempts to find a better rock was unsuccessful- I think because I was looking in dirtier water closer to shore.

It is the time to fill the freezer with fat tog fillets for the winter. I suspect black fishing is very good and will remain so for a month or more despite my incompetence on Wednesday.

56 mins ago, Pescador710 said:

It was most likely me sucking. I had a very good day of tog on the other side of RI last Monday. My first spot held fish but sea bass outnumbered tog 3-1. My attempts to find a better rock was unsuccessful- I think because I was looking in dirtier water closer to shore.

It is the time to fill the freezer with fat tog fillets for the winter. I suspect black fishing is very good and will remain so for a month or more despite my incompetence on Wednesday.

Might not be you. I've went out a few times and I've only find smaller ones and yield 1-2 keepers per outing. Perhaps I am not finding good spots (I have many). Also scups seems to be still around in good numbers. That might be a big factors on keeping bait down to the bottom from shore (shallower water).

Changed tactics: we kayaked a salt pond/estuary area yesterday that is usually a solid producer into November because it's near a holdover spot.  Air temps in the 70s, S wind less than 5kt, incoming (lag) tide that slacked just as the sun touched the horizon.  Kept fishing through the first 90 minutes of dropping tide, long enough for it to reach max current (which admittedly wasn't much). 

Plenty of bait around: mostly silversides but some small adult bunker in the mix.  Before the sun fully set we could see them circling under a cast away, after the current picked up we were regularly bumping them as the water fell past us.  No fish landed, not even any solid hits. 

I was looking forward to Saturday when it was supposed to rain, but now it's just partly cloudy. 

Fished an outflow last night on the outgoing. Pretty slow. There was a lot of surface action right at dusk but it seemed to be all shad, I think. Took one on an epoxy just for fun but there didn’t seem to be anything of size around them. Friend hooked into a decent sized bass at dusk on a surface popper but we didn’t land it. Once the rip set up we drifted out plugs but took only a handful of schoolies with a few borderline fish mixed in. Action slowed up after dark and there was a lot of mixed lines going on. Could have been worse but seems like a lot of hassle fighting the guy on the line across from you for some schoolies. 

Before the tide turned I broke out the fly rod to check the back water. Like all other reports there is a ton of bait and lots of snapper blues. Kinda fun to take on light tackle and practice with the fly rod. 

It’s kind of crazy how much last night felt like a June night. 70s and humid does not feel like mid October 

40 mins ago, Kooky said:

The tides are def weak this week.  I was fishing an outflow area on Wed pm and was shocked how slow the current was.

Same here.  It quickly went from huge tides with the new moon to a slow trickle the last few days.

Wonder if lack of predators over recent years has lead to bumper crops of bait?

Fishing a back estuary, I thought there was something going on with my real when I came to the realization that the irregular retrieve was due to my lure bumping its way through a plethora of packed of bait.

Fished the river top of out going tide until the middle of it. Like eveyone else stated, tide seemed to barely move. Standing crotch deep in water I was literally surrounded by peanut the entire time.

Light tackled Shad for and hour until it got boring (They're fun until it's fish on almost evey cast).

Tried for striper with absolutely no love. I think one guy landed a near slot from the other bank.

Fished comfortably (except for the skeeters) in a tee shirt until near 9pm. 

Another kayak trip this morning off Less Popular Breachway.  Air temps in high 60s at dawn, forecasted 1' swell with S winds 12-14 (you'd think I would have learned this lesson by now).  a 2.5' high tide turned around 05:30, which puts lag drop just after dawn.

Ocean swell might have been 1', but the wind swell ended up being 3-4 (wind was gusting to 20s) with a really short period. Made for a hell of a struggle just to head out, and the outflow was undercutting the wind swell causing curling breakers all the way out.  All around poor kayaking conditions, but I've done worse.  

When we first got out the current wasn't really moving yet and we caught first sight of the wind swell, so we landed and cast around off the rocks for a few.  No hits, but I am pretty sure I saw one belly flash just outside the mouth.  10 more minutes of casting got us nothing.  We re-launched from the beach between the heavy swells, and I immediately ran into breaking fish just outside the breachway.  I got over-focused and ended up getting blown back into the surf zone and rolling.  Luckily my gear was (mostly) secure and all I lost was a couple of tins.  Re-re-launched and paddled well clear of shore. 

We tried crossing the outflow with the intention of trolling the pocket where the current usually curls around back to shore, but once we got over there we realized that the combined sea swell and the wind was forcing the outflow the wrong way, and the wind swell extended the surf zone farther out from shore and excluded trolling where we wanted to.  Fought our way back through the curlers and we were both pretty tired at that point and had seen no fish activity other than that first burst, so we went in.  Never saw any other breaking fish, never saw any of the five or six anglers around land anything. 

Lesson (maybe it will stick this time): when the winds are forecasted above 10, only plan kayak trips if there is a solid reason to go.  At least the kid is learning when not to go, and why.