ChickenFreckle

Original Van Staal VS-300 Question

19 posts in this topic

Hello

I'm new here but have occasionally glanced at this forum over the last probably...decade. Anyways, I'm a Floridian fisherman who relocated to the Arizona desert about three years ago. Unfortunately I don't get to do much fishing here so most of my gear has been in storage for that entire time. Over the weekend I got the opportunity to go through some of it and came across an interesting purchase that I had completely forgot I had made; mainly because of the circumstances and skepticism around the purchase at the time. Long story short - I came across what appeared to be a vintage original VS-300 serial number #328 on eBay years ago. It was priced fairly cheap even for what a brand new VS-300 was going for at the time. So I jumped on it thinking the worst that could happen is that it'd be a fake and HOPEFULLY a decent reel for the money I agreed to pay. I received it and got what looked to be to me an authentic, almost mint condition, never used CLUNKY Van Staal VS-300, black in color, serial stamping 328. It got put into some boxes to be stored shortly after that due to life circumstances and has been in a box ever since. 

Problem: I can't find any information about this reel other that the tech on Van Staal's customer care line telling me that the serial number is real. I know nothing about the early Van Staal reels. Where were they made, what year is this serial number, what are they made out of, and most importantly what is it worth? The only information I have is an old, archived eBay ad from before I purchased mine for around $1400 and saying its "one-of-a-kind"! Any information I can get from this community is greatly appreciated and if anyone knows of a collector that could give me an appraisal I would like that as well! Thanks in advance!

Thank you yet again. I'm slowly piecing together information from here, from VS, and from Google. I believe I have an authentic VS from that era. I appreciate the help.

23 hours ago, ChickenFreckle said:

Thank you yet again. I'm slowly piecing together information from here, from VS, and from Google. I believe I have an authentic VS from that era. I appreciate the help.

Would enjoy seeing the reel you have. Never knew The Surfcaster was behind the original VS design. Interesting that some of the features that they highlighted apparently were issues in the original, based on what I read from folks who used them and which led to changes/improvements over the years.

5 mins ago, Dave Peros said:

Would enjoy seeing the reel you have. Never knew The Surfcaster was behind the original VS design. Interesting that some of the features that they highlighted apparently were issues in the original, based on what I read from folks who used them and which led to changes/improvements over the years.

I will post a few photos here in about three hours once I get home and settled.

3 mins ago, Richizzzle said:

Posted one of these in another thread. Here are some other angles.

Screenshot_20211014-190234_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211014-190228_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211014-190221_Gallery.jpg

Mine looks identical to this one. Same style stamping for the model and serial numbers. I was worried when I saw the other gentleman's photo that had a logo by the serial number. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, ChickenFreckle said:

Mine looks identical to this one. Same style stamping for the model and serial numbers. I was worried when I saw the other gentleman's photo that had a logo by the serial number. 

I think those were the initial run of reels.  Not sure how many were built like that. Mine was when production ramped up after that initial batch.  

3F940473-5361-43B7-A58C-97B0079C9A78.jpeg

Edited by DZ
Spelling

So here are some photos. I’m confident now that I have an original VS. Thanks for all the information fellas, it was much appreciated. From the eBay listings and sells that I have looked at it seems like the reel has a worth anywhere from $500-850, maybe with the condition I could get closer to $900. I have some big boy purchases coming up so I’ll think about whether or not I want to list it on eBay, but overall it’s a decent find for something I had COMPLETELY forgot I purchased. 

16BD8CCC-D948-4325-9D05-541A712D9FC1.jpeg

E870C00D-A47C-435C-9878-D227785353FA.jpeg

E1D4BFF6-6008-4BBE-9823-B7D2E498A273.jpeg

1AACA61B-D72D-46B6-A2A8-D65CD2C379D9.jpeg

17110662-2A3A-4923-B7D0-EC09F5372B43.jpeg

B832D420-60E3-499B-844D-AC46F3E61BC2.jpeg

5FC83E00-6C1F-45FD-9566-80174A5A979C.jpeg

C06F5AA1-8C7E-48A8-9E9B-2C4BB539D40B.jpeg

Chicken- you have the first run production VS reel.  IMO they are the most rare and desirable to collectors.  They are also a great reel to fish but are likely to have part replacement issues as early reels had many variables with parts fitting.  That’s why they were required to be sent in for factory  service as replacement parts might have to be machined for individual reels.  In later years that problem was somewhat rectified.  

2 hours ago, DZ said:

Chicken- you have the first run production VS reel.  IMO they are the most rare and desirable to collectors.  They are also a great reel to fish but are likely to have part replacement issues as early reels had many variables with parts fitting.  That’s why they were required to be sent in for factory  service as replacement parts might have to be machined for individual reels.  In later years that problem was somewhat rectified.  

Thanks for all the info! I appreciate it. I think I’m gonna hold onto it for now based off what other users assume the value is.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/14/2021 at 6:46 PM, Dave Peros said:

Never knew The Surfcaster was behind the original VS design. Interesting that some of the features that they highlighted apparently were issues in the original, based on what I read from folks who used them and which led to changes/improvements over the years.

The very first things Bill Preisenberger (sp?) at the Surfcaster had VS related was a custom 1 piece spool for the Crack Luxor 300, as the original spool was 2 or 3 piece and sometimes would pop apart under the pressure of expanding mono line. He also had a line roller. 

This, of course, in addition to his repair and  "underwater modifications" for those reels.

Steve T

Edited by cbchurch

37 mins ago, cbchurch said:

1989 The Surfcaster catalog

6176beeb13fac_crack01.jpg.06b0c3805e8336273f3630e6b23a4289.jpg

Thanks for the bit of history, cbchurch. I remember that catalog well; like the original SWS, it was a reminder that surfcasters rule!