ajcarbone8

Striped bass fishing article

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hello all, here is the ROUGH DRAFT for my striped bass article, I will be adding to it depending on the suggestions in the comments, and please, do not comment if you are going to say something negative, only comment if you have something positive to say or a suggestion, keep in mind I am only a kid and I do not support the people talking negatively about me in my comments,  but anyways, enjoy the article, thank you. 

Striped bass research.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Great job, I am 14 myself.

I think a section on hard versus soft structure could definitely add to it.  Often times when you get large boulders and moving water, the depth will be greater around the rock.  Since the water can’t move the boulder, it gains speed and carves away anything around it.  Striped bass can sometimes be so close to the underside of rocks that without a cast there you wouldn’t know it.  After all, they are called Rockfish.  Fishing braided line and having it rub against rocks isn’t always the best idea since it’s abrasion resistance compared to mono is poor.
 

I would also exclude the part about surf fisherman not being able to spook fish, as I couldn’t disagree more; in my personal experience.

 

I will send you some plugs in the mail if it alright with your parents.

Tommy L.

Edited by t_man7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 mins ago, i_like_poppers said:

Who is your target audience and where will this be published? That would help focus the review. 

 

Well the target audience is rhode islanders and how to help them catch stripers in different times of the year. I believed my articles have caught attention of many big companies such as hogy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, t_man7 said:

Great job, I am 14 myself.

I think a section on hard versus soft structure could definitely add to it.  Often times when you get large boulders and moving water, the depth will be greater around the rock.  Since the water can’t move the boulder, it gains speed and carves away anything around it.  Striped bass can sometimes be so close to the underside of rocks that without a cast there you wouldn’t know it.  After all, they are called Rockfish.  Fishing braided line and having it rub against rocks isn’t always the best idea since it’s abrasion resistance compared to mono is poor.
 

I would also exclude the part about surf fisherman not being able to spook fish, as I couldn’t disagree more; in my personal experience.

 

I will send you some plugs in the mail if it alright with your parents.

Tommy L.

Wow man, thanks a bunch, it’s alright with them, thank you for the feedback I really appreciate it, I will message you the address, will be definitely be adding that to the article 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, ajcarbone8 said:

Well the target audience is rhode islanders and how to help them catch stripers in different times of the year. I believed my articles have caught attention of many big companies such as hogy

Understood. First thing that jumps out is the passion you have and are trying to put into this. However, you may want to consider your audience, where are you coming from and what are you trying to convey. You have the title and jump straight into the deep end, which skips on the (valuable) opportunity to have an introduction paragraph. Nothing crazy, but perhaps five or six sentences on who you are, what you are trying to say, and what you want the reader to know. 

 

As far as typographical stuff, "Striped  ass [R]esearch" should be capitalized since it is the title of the paragraph and "[H]ogy" should be as well. 

 

Good luck and don't hesitate to PM me if you'd like me to look at subsequent drafts. 

Edited by i_like_poppers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, i_like_poppers said:

Understood. First thing that jumps out is the passion you have and are trying to put into this. However, you may want to consider your audience, where are you coming from and what are you trying to convey. You have the title and jump straight into the deep end, which skips on the (valuable) opportunity to have an introduction paragraph. Nothing crazy, but perhaps five or six sentences on who you are, what you are trying to say, and what you want the reader to know. 

 

As far as typographical stuff, "Striped ass [R]esearch" should be capitalized since it is the title of the paragraph and "[H]ogy" should be as well. 

 

Good luck and don't hesitate to PM me if you'd like me to look at subsequent drafts. 

Thank you, will be making those edits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suggestion. When you use the word “guess” in an informative article it doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence. It’s usually better to stick to what you know works by firsthand experience or if you’ve interviewed others, to use their input to support the facts and information you’re trying to share with others. 
 

Wishing you good luck with your fishing and writing. The internet is a tough place to get started on writing, especially at 13. Got to have a thick skin. And at 13, to be honest, I wasn’t even thinking about writing. I just wanted to be out there fishing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 mins ago, WindAndWater said:

Suggestion. When you use the word “guess” in an informative article it doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence. It’s usually better to stick to what you know works by firsthand experience or if you’ve interviewed others, to use their input to support the facts and information you’re trying to share with others. 
 

Wishing you good luck with your fishing and writing. The internet is a tough place to get started on writing, especially at 13. Got to have a thick skin. And at 13, to be honest, I wasn’t even thinking about writing. I just wanted to be out there fishing. 

thank  you, will be making those edits, my goal is to inform everyone when i write

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, osmalones said:

Good luck. Make sure to log all your outings, sure comes in hand writing a report and trying to find fish in the future. 

I maybe will do that, last time I did that people where saying I was spot burning so maybe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will give you credit- at 13 the last thing I would have been thinking about is writing an article-Fishing sure, writing about it, well fogetaboutit- anyway interesting stuff and since its based on your fishing experience excellent job-  I would suggest as you get older and get the chance to fish different waters you could break down the shore/surf into lets say something like the beach front in Westerly or Narragansett compared to fishing a inland pond or saltwater river and how tide/moon day/night etc helps/hurts or effects things. You could even break down the boat to off shore boats to kayaks. Take a seining net and collect some samples of bait, what type, how much of each, how big etc, water temp-

 

I second doing a log, even its a brief one that you may only understand, ie fished Pt Judith, 10-15-21- out going, at dawn-wind north-water clear-waves small-type bait seen-moon phase-fished caught/not caught rough size of them-spin rod with bunker shad or fly rod with clouser or bait rod with clams- takes only a few minutes to type up and by time your a HS senior you may have a science project already done- good luck- enjoy fishing, its better then tick tok, instagram and all that nonsense- as for me when i run into peanut bunker with my fly rod, its game on. 

 

Take care- keep em wet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.