Evil-Bay

Dark Star vs 4171 surf bags?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, Striperhunter9 said:

I was going to get a dark star but ended  up with the 3 tube ODM and couldn’t be happier 

It’s a really nice bag. Only annoying thing on mine is the nylon “flaps” for the side and front pouches are just too thin for the buckles used, I’ve almost lost them a few times due to sliding right through. I wrapped some electrical tape around them to thicken the ends and now it’s near perfect. 

8 hours ago, Evil-Bay said:

Anyone have these bags?  Experiences?  Pics?  Thoughts?

No comparison. Dark star is a nice bag similar to gear up quality. Great for a guy that fishes off the beach, jetty. 4171 is a tank of a bag. High quality stuff on another level. Prob overkill for the beach guy but a must for someone who wetsuits. The bag has like 4 or 5 layers of stitching or something. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I went with Dark Star. Very high quality, molle system, and durable. The guy at Dark Star is very responsive and has a quick turn around. 

58193832-13CE-4D85-AF44-AB2D1FB0A490.jpeg

BA865016-1A8C-43FD-85E3-C2E279BED4B7.jpeg

476C5666-120A-4CB8-99D4-08E81890C691.jpeg

Edited by cec127

Met the builder at one of the winter flea markets in 2019.  Good people working there and everything was a quality build that I saw on there table.  And like other high end companies they do custom builds in various colors.  Certainly worth a look at their stuff.  

I am about to pull the trigger on a dark star bag myself  and can't say enough good stuff about the guy 

He's an absolute stand up guy, has always responded to my messages and questions nearly immediately

Answered all of my stupid questions I've asked 

Took measurements, helped me figure out what I need, took pictures of things to clarify for my stupid questions 

Absolutely top notch customer service and I haven't given him a dime of my money (yet) 

Prices are very reasonable 

I have both bags and think the each have their place and I have no complaints of either.  

I would agree the 4171 is built like a tank and built to take all the abuse fishing in the surf can offer.  

I looked at a couple of Dark Star bags recently and I thought they were really nice and well made. The only thing I didn't like about the 3 tube bag that I was interested in was that the D rings on the back of the bag are made out of plastic instead of metal like I think they should. With the bag clipped to the belt and being stressed frequently it seems like that thin plastic could eventually break over time and would be a pain to replace. That was my thought and the main reason why I passed on the bag. Curious about what others might think about this.

Really no comparison, 4171 is a better made product. Nick is a true craftsman and a very serious fisherman and both of those attributes show in his workmanship and design. I cant imagine anyone not being very happy with his stuff. If you get the chance to closely inspect his stuff you will quickly realize how well made if is.