tonymo

Flatlander Surfbag Nazi ( No Bag for You!!)

Rate this topic

226 posts in this topic

After looking at the Flatlander bag thread for a while, and reading all the great things everyone here had to say about the product and the builder's customer service, I put a good sized order in ( with a Hi Lo bag) a few of weeks ago and got to make a deposit last week after making contact with Jamie. 

So naturally I had a bunch of questions, seeing how the pictures on his page did not show the bag inside and out, and had brief written descriptions. These were over a 4 day period

I was never rude, the questions themselves were not extensive in nature, were relevant, and I was not asking for anything other than what he is producing. And I never had a problem with pricing. I was just trying to have a good plan to avoid putting cash into a few things I may not have needed that were on my original order and put money towards other things, as there were many.

About 4 days after I made my deposit, he cancelled the order and returned my deposit. He cited he tried to answer all my questions, with which I had no issues with his answers. Claimed I had issues with pricing, the only thing I asked was about base price vs. what was in a picture. Then he had some weird excuse that we were not a good fit, vendor to customer wise.

After he cancelled, I asked to please reconsider as I was just trying to get a solid plan together. Big negative on that. You'd of thought I was calling or texting. It was e mail that could have been answered anytime, especially how the order is many month's out.  

Needless to say I was very disappointed and kind of insulted as I was treated like some kind of  a hole. 

Maybe I should send him a bottle of Midol and a box of tampons!:naughty:.

So now I am in search again for another set up. 

That's my story, sad but true. Thanks for reading!

Just curious what kind of questions did you have? I just went through the process of ‘building’ a hi-lo (wanted to try putting myself in your shoes) and can’t seem to figure out what more id need to know.

Just now, ASrod said:

Lol why do people need a $400 bag that won’t increase your chances at catching a fish any higher than stuffing plugs in to your pockets? Just get a gear up and call jt a day.

the buddy-lok system is awesome and you aren’t getting that kind of stuff with gear up. Like I said in the flatlander fanboy thread; my 2 tube bag is also a 3 tube or 4 tube depending on what I need it for. Gear up I’d have to buy 3 bags to do what my 1 can do. Nevermind I can then just run the bucktail pouch if I needed/wanted to, or take it off to save on weight. 

He makes some nice looking product. Having said that, my stock gear-up bags are a lot cheaper. Having a bag in fancy colors ain’t gonna atttact more fish. There was recently a BST thread on here of a bag of his selling for like a grand, kinda nutty in my opinion. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 mins ago, natejeep said:

Just curious what kind of questions did you have? I just went through the process of ‘building’ a hi-lo (wanted to try putting myself in your shoes) and can’t seem to figure out what more id need to know.

the buddy-lok system is awesome and you aren’t getting that kind of stuff with gear up. Like I said in the flatlander fanboy thread; my 2 tube bag is also a 3 tube or 4 tube depending on what I need it for. Gear up I’d have to buy 3 bags to do what my 1 can do. Nevermind I can then just run the bucktail pouch if I needed/wanted to, or take it off to save on weight. 

I respect the brand and what he makes but materialism and little tiny features that people convince themselves are necessary are just stupid gimmicks that have no place in the fishing world. Buy it for what it is- a solid bag. Not some “buddy lock mega Velcro fish catcher 5000”. You want three bags in one, just buy a couple extra sets of bag tubes and swap them out when you grab your gear out of your truck. Makes no sense to me.

Edited by ASrod

3 mins ago, MattieG said:

He makes some nice looking product. Having said that, my stock gear-up bags are a lot cheaper. Having a bag in fancy colors ain’t gonna atttact more fish. There was recently a BST thread on here of a bag of his selling for like a grand, kinda nutty in my opinion. 

Gearups 2 tube with front pouch is the same price as flatlanders base 2 tube with front pouch though. Wouldn’t call that a lot cheaper when comparing apples to apples.

4 mins ago, ASrod said:

I respect the brand and what he makes but materialism and little tiny features that people convince themselves are necessary are just stupid gimmicks that have no place in the fishing world. Buy it for what it is- a solid bag. Not some “buddy lock mega Velcro fish catcher 5000”. You want three bags in one, just buy a couple extra sets of bag tubes and swap them out when you grab your gear out of your truck. Makes no sense to me.

Extra set of bag tubes isn’t going to add more tubes/capacity to your bag though. Being able to use the same bag with 2 tubes one night and 3 tubes the next is what makes the extra money for one bag worth it. That’s all I’m getting at.

Funny, Im I going to order a back Bay Slim tommorow after asking about the dimensions and options via email. He was polite as always and answered my questions quickly. Sorry you had a bad experience. This will make my third dealings with him and everyone so far has been pleasant. 

Some people are happy with a Slammer and others a VS, they serve the same general purpose. 

A Tsunami Air Wave Elite will mostly do the same fundamental job that a custom rod will, and do it pretty well. 

It’s nice to have a lot of choices that people can choose from based on what their chosen budget is and needs/wants for the item, for whatever reason. 

Sorry to hear of OP’s experience with Flatlander. 

I agree in general with some of the comments and have other GearUp, Mak, EbbPoint, Commando, etc products that serve their purpose splendidly 

Flatlander is another competitor in the market and has some different features to set it apart that you may or may not need / want 

I have the basic older Salter bag from Jamie  bought add a tubes later directly from him, and bought boga holder + blitz bag 2nd market on here 

The modularity is a nice feature, which I appreciate, but certainly not a "necessity"

and quality is top notch 

IMO the gear makes me more comfortable and efficient and doesn't fail, so I focus more on fishing, which increases success - but it's not eels or lack of sleep, so no it doesn't directly lead to more or bigger fish

It's unfortunate you had a poor experience, sometimes personal interactions go south for a variety of hard to identify reasons 

I can only speak to my experience with Flatlander & Jamie as a customer, and I don't know him personally - but transactions and communications were prompt, respectful, totally professional and I am a satisfied customer

to each their own

1 hour ago, tonymo said:

After looking at the Flatlander bag thread for a while, and reading all the great things everyone here had to say about the product and the builder's customer service, I put a good sized order in ( with a Hi Lo bag) a few of weeks ago and got to make a deposit last week after making contact with Jamie. 

So naturally I had a bunch of questions, seeing how the pictures on his page did not show the bag inside and out, and had brief written descriptions. These were over a 4 day period

I was never rude, the questions themselves were not extensive in nature, were relevant, and I was not asking for anything other than what he is producing. And I never had a problem with pricing. I was just trying to have a good plan to avoid putting cash into a few things I may not have needed that were on my original order and put money towards other things, as there were many.

About 4 days after I made my deposit, he cancelled the order and returned my deposit. He cited he tried to answer all my questions, with which I had no issues with his answers. Claimed I had issues with pricing, the only thing I asked was about base price vs. what was in a picture. Then he had some weird excuse that we were not a good fit, vendor to customer wise.

After he cancelled, I asked to please reconsider as I was just trying to get a solid plan together. Big negative on that. You'd of thought I was calling or texting. It was e mail that could have been answered anytime, especially how the order is many month's out.  

Needless to say I was very disappointed and kind of insulted as I was treated like some kind of  a hole. 

Maybe I should send him a bottle of Midol and a box of tampons!:naughty:.

So now I am in search again for another set up. 

That's my story, sad but true. Thanks for reading!

Buy a ODM bag. Love it just as much as my flatlander 

I had my bag made for me. And had an inside leader terminal tackle pouch but had him put one one the outside.

Sometimes, i rip off the 2 side pouches and front and go that way.

The sides are nice for more needles and wooden swimmers,   while my inside can be the same lures of that time of year.

Its just more options.

My bag looks well worn from this season,  its white lol, it stinks from sand fleas,

I do have my van stall bag and use that also.

Hey its your money,  spend it how you like.

Sucks how that went down for you,  Have you're wife place the order for you :D

I only bought from Jamie a surf belt and a leader wallet and he is one of the nicest vendor to deal with. My guess you blew up his mind with your questions and he probably was concerned that you would not be one happy customer. After all he is not selling expensive cars but fricin surf bags. 

The modularity of these is what drew me in. The others have pockets permattached that I may not want or no way to make use of the space at the ends of the bag. Questions were on small details, that's all, 7 total. And if he thought I would not be happy with the product, he could have asked. I am not the kind of person that would waste your time like that. I did not see it as a big deal.

I will probably end up with a GU 3 tube , a separate bucktail pouch and a single tube . Thanks for the responses.

15 mins ago, tonymo said:

The modularity of these is what drew me in. The others have pockets permattached that I may not want or no way to make use of the space at the ends of the bag. Questions were on small details, that's all, 7 total. And if he thought I would not be happy with the product, he could have asked. I am not the kind of person that would waste your time like that. I did not see it as a big deal.

I will probably end up with a GU 3 tube , a separate bucktail pouch and a single tube . Thanks for the responses.

I have few GU products including two surf bags. I like his leader wallets better than Flatlander. It’s a good choice.