b-ware

Squirrel Season.....

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

33 mins ago, mikez2 said:

What if they just go in the compost? Possession still?

You know nobody kills a squirrel and eats it.

Maybe you don't know anybody who eats squirrel but in all reality it is a good tasting meat, yes you need a few to feed the family and is probably a whole lot healthier for you than the "meats" in the supermarket.

1 min ago, b-ware said:

Maybe you don't know anybody who eats squirrel but in all reality it is a good tasting meat, yes you need a few to feed the family and is probably a whole lot healthier for you than the "meats" in the supermarket.

Oh I have no problem with eating squirrel. I've eaten all the ones I ever shot when I was playing with the kid's pellet gun. Not my cup of tea, but then, the lesson to the kids was, you don't kill it if you won't eat it.

What I mean is, plenty of people have no problem shooting squirrel and wantonly wasting the meat. Apparently the life of the squirrel is less valuable than the bird seed they put out for their entertainment. 

Personally, back when I fed birds, I figured the squirrels had just as much right to the seeds as the birds did. Plus the squirrels are interesting too.

2 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Oh I have no problem with eating squirrel. I've eaten all the ones I ever shot when I was playing with the kid's pellet gun. Not my cup of tea, but then, the lesson to the kids was, you don't kill it if you won't eat it.

What I mean is, plenty of people have no problem shooting squirrel and wantonly wasting the meat. Apparently the life of the squirrel is less valuable than the bird seed they put out for their entertainment. 

Personally, back when I fed birds, I figured the squirrels had just as much right to the seeds as the birds did. Plus the squirrels are interesting too.

Agree 100 percent............. I will be making some squirrel feeders that hold a full ear of corn shortly.  They seem to like the whole kernel dried corn more than birdseed anyways......... 

I'm out of town, so I'll chime in on this tomorrow.

But in my neck of the woods dead squirrels are in high demand. People who own pet snakes stockpile them in the freezer as snake food. One adult snake eats one squirrel a month.

2 hours ago, b-ware said:

My father in law and old yankee used to soak them in salted water and cook them like chicken. I know I'll here about everything tastes like chicken. NOT!

Look-- squirrel meat is fine and probably somewhat tasty..if you get a few wild buggers that've been feeding on choice nuts and fruit, and not dumpster-diving city squirrels... behaving like rats.

But please..for the love of all that is holy...  do not eat squirrel brains.

A Man Contracted a Rare, Fatal Disease From Eating Squirrel Brains

This makes the first time a person has contracted variant Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease in the U.S.

"According to a recently-uncovered medical case from 2015, one man may have died after eating one too many squirrels. His penchant for squirrel meat seems to have inadvertently exposed him to a fatal brain disorder"

surprised-squirrel-royalty-free-image-610243436-1539803069.jpg.d003e76ceaf1437f50bf9d522fb88edc.jpg

My grandmother used to make squirrel.  Par boil the quartered out critters for a good hour to soften them up.  Drain and towel dry the parts.  Dust 'em with flour.  Pan fry.

Of course, she also raised a family of six through the Depression and WWII.

4 hours ago, rst3 said:

Look-- squirrel meat is fine and probably somewhat tasty..if you get a few wild buggers that've been feeding on choice nuts and fruit, and not dumpster-diving city squirrels... behaving like rats.

This makes the first time a person has contracted variant Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease in the U.S.

"According to a recently-uncovered medical case from 2015, one man may have died after eating one too many squirrels. His penchant for squirrel meat seems to have inadvertently exposed him to a fatal brain disorder"

surprised-squirrel-royalty-free-image-610243436-1539803069.jpg.d003e76ceaf1437f50bf9d522fb88edc.jpg

Mad squirrel disease? :eek:

7 hours ago, rst3 said:

I stay awau from the brains but I love the tenderloins and backstraps.................

Pretty sure you all are referring to gray squirrels... but the ground squirrels have been so bad near me I was getting 2-3 a day trapping them in my shed and garage. Had them inside of my truck last year when the war started. Pretty sure new ones are just moving in from expanding landscaping and it is nowhere near over. Lots of grays as well but they keep our of my structures. 

Chipmunks and red squirrel don't taste very good and have almost no worthwhile meat. I've tried them in stew, but only once.

I'd eat them to survive but that's it.

Seems like eating brains is always a bad idea. I don't like the heads left on the bodies in the stew because it looks nasty. Probably better to not leave the heads on at all.

1 hour ago, burkie said:

I think b-ware has that

No I don't, I have issues.............anger, stupid people, B. S. annoying people and know it all people issues.........

PS cooking up another pot of squirrel stew, want some more?????