How do those bumpy ruts form?

Rate this topic

Short answer = physics :howdy:

Long answer:

Some experts who maintain dirt roads say that your car's suspension system causes the problem as it actually tries to smooth out the bumps in the road [source: U.S. Forest Service]. As a wheel moves over a bump, the suspension system absorbs the shock and then pushes back against the road surface. On a soft surface like a dirt road, the push back either packs or displaces the dirt it hits. Over time, as more and more cars go over the bump, the washboard pattern develops.

However, in the summer of 2009, physicists from Canada, France and the United Kingdom published a new study about the physics of washboard road formation. They discovered that ripples will form, even when the springy suspension of a car and the rolling shape of a wheel are eliminated [source: American Physical Society].

They built an experimental vehicle, replacing the wheel with a suspension rolling over a road with a simple inclined plow blade, without any spring or suspension, dragging over a bed of dry sand. Ripples appear when the plow moves above a certain speed.

After observing the results, they compared this phenomenon to the physics of stone skipping: A stone needs to be thrown above a specific speed in order to have enough force to bounce of the surface. A wash boarding plow is similar, except the sandy surface remembers its shape and the effect is amplified.

They concluded that the formation of a washboard pattern is inevitable. The ridges will form, even if the wheel diameter, suspension or surface is changed. The only way to avoid the effects of a washboard road is to stay below a certain speed, but that's impractical: you'd usually have to drive at 3 miles per hour (4.83 kilometers per hour) to eliminate the problem altogether.

Some day, such discoveries may lead to improved suspension systems or improved road surfaces that smooth out a bumpy ride. In the meantime, there's not much you can do about washboard road except brace yourself, watch your speed and hang on for the ride.

https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/ranch-life/what-causes-washboard-roads.htm

4 hours ago, luckyOC said:

well other than the rangers meandering all over the beach....

I have more issues with the "research" SUV. They have no issues driving between rods and vehicles with no regard for children or pets that may dart out. Apparently they are used to being flipped off as well. Never a problem with rangers at all.

Many surfcasters have asked this same question over the years but none has been able to find the truth. 

Some have thought it was ignorant folks not airing down or leaving the dreaded traction control on…

others have opined that physics was to blame… 

And yet we still do not know the true answer

could it be horses or birds? Neigh. Not likely. 

please tell us when you have come to a reasonable conclusion :)

3 hours ago, AI GUY said:

I have more issues with the "research" SUV. They have no issues driving between rods and vehicles with no regard for children or pets that may dart out. Apparently they are used to being flipped off as well. Never a problem with rangers at all.

Is that a white expedition by any chance?  A group of people, looked to be in their 70s, were driving by and stood around me while I was reeling in a fish, to “make sure I released it”. My buddy told me they said that after I released the fish and they left. Thought that was absolutely ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, judahL said:

Many surfcasters have asked this same question over the years but none has been able to find the truth. 

Some have thought it was ignorant folks not airing down or leaving the dreaded traction control on…

others have opined that physics was to blame… 

And yet we still do not know the true answer

could it be horses or birds? Neigh. Not likely. 

please tell us when you have come to a reasonable conclusion :)

The reasoning behind traction control is because the tires are slipping while driving thru sand and the computer wants to slow the wheels down and they might hesitate when trying to slow down, without being able to stop them well enough because of being in sand, making them stutter, and create the bumps. The physics thing is probably the real reason. 

55 mins ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Is that a white expedition by any chance?  A group of people, looked to be in their 70s, were driving by and stood around me while I was reeling in a fish, to “make sure I released it”. My buddy told me they said that after I released the fish and they left. Thought that was absolutely ridiculous. 

That's them. I'd be curious to see what the actual description is for that job and the amount of the budget allotted for it.